The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
Steve Cole

Any disadvantages to a stand-alone cooling system?

My buddy NC John told me the computer will turn off the AC compressor in cases of WOT or high RPM to protect the compressor from an overspeed condition. Aside from that, are there any disadvantages to running a stand-alone electric fan setup, not controlled by the computer? The fan setup I was planning to use has its own controller built-in, it even has the AC override function. Anything else I should be concerned about? Below is a link to my fan setup. Thanks

https://derale.com/product-footer/el...753-764-detail
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
Steve Cole

Re: Any disadvantages to a stand-alone cooling system?

What, no one can speak about a stand-alone system?
Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I know some use standalone systems...but why not let the ecm control the fan? that's a pricey setup...when all you need is some fans and let the ecm do the work...my 2cents

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #4
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
My buddy NC John told me the computer will turn off the AC compressor in cases of WOT or high RPM to protect the compressor from an overspeed condition. Aside from that, are there any disadvantages to running a stand-alone electric fan setup, not controlled by the computer? The fan setup I was planning to use has its own controller built-in, it even has the AC override function.
Whether or not the PCM will shut the compressor off depends on how it's wired and what year it is determines that. Personally, I would let the PCM control the fans, why run a separate controller when the ability is already in the PCM you're running? As for the last line " has its own controller built-in, it even has the AC override function", not sure what you mean by that?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
Wildkarde

Couple of things, PWM fan control like that is really nice, soft start, and variable speed all help the fan and electrical system longevity. Though I am not a fan of the systems that attach the sensor to the outside of the radiator instead of in the coolant stream.

If you are running a GenIV motor a lot of them can control fans using PWM natively using the corvette drivers.

Also that setup has no control over the compressor. The A/C overide is just an input that causes the fan to come on at a minimum of 60% any time there is 12v on that wire. So you connect it to your binary, or better yet trinary switch so your fans come on when the A/C needs them.

As for downsides, other that cost its just the fact that if the controller or sensor goes bad, you lose fan until you can get a new one from Derale. With relay control through the pcm, a new relay is easilly available at the any parts store.
Wildkarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Whether or not the PCM will shut the compressor off depends on how it's wired and what year it is determines that. Personally, I would let the PCM control the fans, why run a separate controller when the ability is already in the PCM you're running? As for the last line " has its own controller built-in, it even has the AC override function", not sure what you mean by that?
Hi Eric,
it is a 2005 year motor (Gen 3) What I meant is that the built-in controller controls when the fans come on and off and at what speed they run. You set the on/off temps on the controller and it takes it from there. It also turns the fans on at least 60% whenever the AC is turned on. It is really a slick set-up. There is a video of it in the link I posted. I like the soft start technology and the fact the fans only run as hard as they need to, usually 40-60% of their rating, making them much quieter than similar fans running at 100%. I bought the fan set-up when I first got the motor and was gathering parts for the swap. I just recently found out that GEN 3 set-ups and PWM controllers don't get along. So basically I am just trying to use what I have verses buying more stuff. I could probably bypass the controller and run the fans from the PCM but I really like the features offered by the PWM controller.

Wildkarde - Those are all good points. Unfortunately for me, it is a Gen 3 motor/PCM and that does not play nice with PWM controllers.