The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

Opinions wanted

I have a bunch of bead blasted parts. Some I'm using for my project and some I had done with the intent to resale....

...I have been watching auctions on the parts I have to see prices for the used parts in decent condition.....and the same parts NOS.

I truly feel the bead blasted parts...when beginning with a nice used piece...are as good...or even better than most NOS. The NOS parts have the black finish on them and are 99% of the time scratched up/dinged from shelfwear. the beadblasted parts are perfect and function like new.

I am watching a door latch right now on ebay...it's at an incredible 177.00 with almost four days left as of now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

To make a short story long.....

what do you guys feel about bead blasted/treated parts vs NOS? I will advertise as bead blasted/treated in the ad but am thinking of posting that they are "like" NOS or "as-good" as NOS since they truly are.
I originally was thinking the latches were worth around 50-60 each...but with the NOS one at almost 200 I'm reconsidering
Plus, a reproduction costs you $50 each and we all know they aren't as nice as a super nice original part...

My other question is if YOU were purchasing....would you prefer the parts to be primed and painted (if I had pictures of the parts when blasted as part of the ad) or would you rather buy them raw? If I prime and paint (with proper prep and professional paint gun) I would ask at least $10-20 more per part depending on the part...

I don't have a pic of the latches right now but they look a lot like these parts that are going on my 72 super build....
Old 06-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Opinions wanted

I will add that these parts are ready to prime/paint. Not like sandblasted parts that have a rough texture and have to be scuffed or even sanded before painting....
Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
PHAT TONY

I seriously can't imagine nearly $200 beans for a door latch!! The factory edp coating breaks down and rusts far quicker than a decent current-day epoxy; I'd paint the OEM part anyway, so for the price difference...
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT TONY View Post
I seriously can't imagine nearly $200 beans for a door latch!! The factory edp coating breaks down and rusts far quicker than a decent current-day epoxy; I'd paint the OEM part anyway, so for the price difference...
crazy, huh?

I am thinking 80 for raw and 100 painted as an ebay sale price for these....as a wise man recently said (Sharpie) the market will show you what the part is worth
Old 06-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
71 super

The NOS door latch is still a new part. The coating is more of an oxide rather than paint. As far as the price the latches were still available from GM within the last five years or so as I paid $60 each for the two NOS in my bb truck. In my opinion the bead blasted latches may get you a little more money than one straight out of a truck, but a used 40 year old latch, especially if from the driver's side, is a used latch. Just recently someone posted a picture of a hood hinge that the rivet at one of the pivot points gave up going down the road after hittting a bump. Used is used and if you dont know the history clean or not you are still taking a chance. I think the price on some of the NOS stuff on ebay is the exception rather than the rule as some parts are indicating a shortage that does not exist. I watched a NOS brake booster boot go for nearly $30 and I know for a fact I got two at Charlotte in GM boxes for $5 for the pair. The parts you have look very nice and I am sure they are quality parts, but they are still used. The market, however will decide the value as you well know.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Bead blasting doesn't make a part new,just looks new. Although it's a step ahead in restoration for a buyer,it doesn't make it as valuable as New Old Stock. It makes it worth more than a crappy looking used part. I considered prettying up used parts just because I enjoy the results,would be more proud to present them that way,and my table would attract more people. But the truth is,my time and materials would,at best,equal the extra money the parts could sell for. A couple things to look at are: 1) A cheaper part can sell easier and 2) Some would rather see just how a part survived than see it touched up...like buying a truck with fresh paint over one that hasn't been touched.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Your parts look really good. I don't know if you removed the springs from the hood hinges or not but I have found that unless they are actually falling apart you can't tell the condition of the hinge pivots without removing the springs, thus removing the tension.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

You can afford to replace the used pieces a few times VS buying the NOS part though. In assessing the price I would be willing to pay for a truck, one that has a high level of detail work done on it is going to be worth more to me.

True, it's a 40 year old part, but until there's an NCRS for our trucks, I'm not sure the extra for all the NIS replacement parts, especially at the latch level is that important. At least not like exterior sheet metal and trim pieces.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
The NOS door latch is still a new part. The coating is more of an oxide rather than paint. As far as the price the latches were still available from GM within the last five years or so as I paid $60 each for the two NOS in my bb truck. In my opinion the bead blasted latches may get you a little more money than one straight out of a truck, but a used 40 year old latch, especially if from the driver's side, is a used latch. Just recently someone posted a picture of a hood hinge that the rivet at one of the pivot points gave up going down the road after hittting a bump. Used is used and if you dont know the history clean or not you are still taking a chance. I think the price on some of the NOS stuff on ebay is the exception rather than the rule as some parts are indicating a shortage that does not exist. I watched a NOS brake booster boot go for nearly $30 and I know for a fact I got two at Charlotte in GM boxes for $5 for the pair. The parts you have look very nice and I am sure they are quality parts, but they are still used. The market, however will decide the value as you well know.
I appreciate the detailed response! I agree about ebay which is why I plan to sell these on there...not here I also just saw a set of NOS hood hinges sell for 330....I bought a set recently for around 100 on here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Bead blasting doesn't make a part new,just looks new. Although it's a step ahead in restoration for a buyer,it doesn't make it as valuable as New Old Stock. It makes it worth more than a crappy looking used part. I considered prettying up used parts just because I enjoy the results,would be more proud to present them that way,and my table would attract more people. But the truth is,my time and materials would,at best,equal the extra money the parts could sell for. A couple things to look at are: 1) A cheaper part can sell easier and 2) Some would rather see just how a part survived than see it touched up...like buying a truck with fresh paint over one that hasn't been touched.
I agree to a point. These aren't just crummy used parts I cleaned up. I selected the nicest/tightest parts and they were restored. THe door handle actuators are almost too tight to move by hand...not loose like some of the used ones I have...and the splines are perfect. All the rubber pieces on any of the parts are soft again because of the acid part of the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Your parts look really good. I don't know if you removed the springs from the hood hinges or not but I have found that unless they are actually falling apart you can't tell the condition of the hinge pivots without removing the springs, thus removing the tension.

LockDoc
Springs were removed and the hinges function like my NOS pair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
You can afford to replace the used pieces a few times VS buying the NOS part though. In assessing the price I would be willing to pay for a truck, one that has a high level of detail work done on it is going to be worth more to me.

True, it's a 40 year old part, but until there's an NCRS for our trucks, I'm not sure the extra for all the NIS replacement parts, especially at the latch level is that important. At least not like exterior sheet metal and trim pieces.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm thinking I'll just run these as no reserve with a starting price just under new repro and see what happens. And post one set painted and one unpainted and see how the market responds. Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
dubds10
Stalker Nate

And to think I give away all those parts in great condition for free hahaha I seriously can't get my head around how much some people pay for small parts like that lol In the end I do find, finished parts don't gain much value as most people tend to strip it back down and repaint them whatever colour they want, although obviously for some the nicer a part looks the more they are willing to spend because they "think" it's in better shape than a non-painted part.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
67chevy1series

i believe anything that isnt repop is worth somthin! and i would like a proper primer no paint just primer...
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Saw a '69 Chevy SWB in a car corral yesterday. From 20 feet away....okay..black primer...doesn't look bad. When you get up to it, it's apparent that the old paint wasn't even sanded in any way. It was flaking under the black primer and it showed. A new owner still has to sand it before he can start body work, so the seller just wasted some primer...and tape.

I prefer soda and bead blasting to sand blasting, but a person needs to be careful in deciding what to use and think of where the part will be. I didn't have a problem sand-blasting my chassis, but my body parts were soda-blasted....everything but the cab.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #13
VA72C10
VA72C10

wow...it's up to 219.50 right now...for ONE latch...I can't wrap my mind around that....
Old 06-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Any thing that is semi mechanical ... hinges etc, I would rather have NOS. But that being said, there is no way I would pay that much money for a door latch. I probably have 10 or more of those laying around. Just pick the best one of the bunch.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I would never pay that for a door latch unless I had an unlimited $$$$$ supply..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #16
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
I would never pay that for a door latch unless I had an unlimited $$$$$ supply..
I would never pay that for a door latch even if I had unlimited $$$
Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I would never pay that for a door latch even if I had unlimited $$$
EXACTLY!!!!

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
truckster

Going back to the original question, I think saying something like "in NOS condition" is somewhat misleading. I'd sell it exactly as it is, a good used part that's been bead blasted and painted.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote