The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
Kerlijah

What gears should I use in my rear end?

So I'm saving up my nickels and dimes, hoping to get different gearing soon. Unfortunately, when it comes to gearing, I dont know jack
I drive my truck every day, mostly just in town, but I also drive it a lot on the highway. I dont have a tach, so I cant say exactly how many rpm's I'm turnin at 65 down the highway,(way high though I'm sure) but I can tell you Ol Yeller really doesnt like goin that fast at all, it's practically screamin!!

So my question is, what would yall recommend for gearing in my truck? It's 2-wheel drive, has the stock 4-speed with granny low--it's so low geared right now it could pull my house off the foundation, but since I just drive it, I dont really work it, I'd REALLY much rather be able to get up and go, but cruise at highway speeds without feeling like I'm gonna blow my engine...

Any help would be awesome, thanks guys!!
1979 C10 SWB, shaved bed rails, drip rails, tailgate handle. 350 w/ Comp cam, hydraulic lifters, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock 650 carb, Flowtech headers, Flowmaster 40s, turbo 350 w/stage 2 shift kit...so much fun!

Kerlijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
ont_guy_38

Re: What gears should I use in my rear end?

You probably want a 3:42 gearing . That is a good all around ratio
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Goldfinger

2.73 for mpg. the acceleration is a little less but has a high top speed and will run highway at low rpms

1999 k3500 crew cab dually 6.5tdi/4l80e
Goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
MalibuSSwagon

I have the stock SM465 and 2.73 gears. Its not a screamer but it drives and tows fine. Highways rpms are 2k rpm at 60-65. Just needs more power to get up and go!
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

No one can properly answer your question with out more data to input. What motor do you have? What size tires are you running? Exactly what transmission do you have? Answer these questions and we can offer our best advice.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

N2, thankyou. I was waiting to see if someone asked these critical questions. Kerl, we need to know everything thats in front of the diff as well as tire sizes and current diff ratio. (more on this later) Without good information you can't get a good logical answer. What works for driver "A" or "B" may not be good for you or your truck. We also need the current ratio because you can't put series 3 gears on a 4 series carrier, so if you have 4:10 gears in there now 3:73 or 3:08 ect won't fit without a spacer or a 3 series carrier. If you can't decode the diff from the numbers on top of the R\S axel tube or suspect a previous diff change the most accurite way to determine ratio is to pop the cover aand look for numbers on the ring gear. The numbers you seek look like this, "00:00". They will be arranged that way. 15:41 is 2:73 ratio, where 15 represents # of teeth on the pinion & 41 the number of teeth on the ring gear. Divide 41 by 15 and you get 2:73. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote