The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
66-PMD-GMC
The 60-66 GMC/Pontiac guy....

Right Hand Drive

I wonder if anyone has done a right hand drive on a 60-66.....
Now that would be cool...
Now I wonder what it would take to do it???? Hummmmm????????????

Building Genuine Pontiac Firepowered cars and trucks for several decades.

Why Pontiac?? That's just me daring to be different.

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
66-PMD-GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
TheDark1
Intentionally Left Blank

Re: Right Hand Drive

I think the easiest way would be to contact someone in Austrailia. Maybe a salvage yard that sells to the US. Or someone from here on the forum. You would probably just need a steering box and dashboard. I think all of the other parts would be the same. Just my .02 cents, though. It would be cool.
2004 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2017 Jeep Wrangler (Blacked Out on 35's)
2011 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2015 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2018 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2020 D-Max Dually Denali on 33x12.50's
1979 GMC Short Bed Step-Side 4x4 350/350 Low Miles
TheDark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDark1 View Post
I think the easiest way would be to contact someone in Australia. Maybe a salvage yard that sells to the US. Or someone from here on the forum. You would probably just need a steering box and dashboard. I think all of the other parts would be the same. Just my .02 cents, though. It would be cool.
OH! I hadn't thought of Autrailia......
That would be as cool as ice cream.
I would LOVE to make my 63 short fleet a RH drive.. It's already different with Pontiac Firepower laying between the frame rails.
I would definately do it if I could find a dash.. I could use a late model gear box to use on the right side frame rail... OH NO! I can't start another project.........

Projects..

63 C10 Short Wheel Base fleetside (The Pro-Street) currently under reconstruction.
440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
62 Bowtie

heres one
Attached Images

62 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
1999corvette

Don't forget, you would have to move the brake and gas pedals to.
1999corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

"bdydrppedc10" over on the C10 Forum site is doing a RH Drive. Here is a link: http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4395
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
bama63

use any gm box that mounts to the inside of the frame rail and move it to the right hand outside and there you go! example 92-98 chevy trucks
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Bowtie View Post
heres one
THAT IS TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL!
(I am so freaking dated)

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
"bdydrppedc10" over on the C10 Forum site is doing a RH Drive. Here is a link: http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4395
Nice! Thanks for the link.
I am just in the dreaming stage ....

I think that taking a donor firewall and "flipping" it, so to speak.
Yes, lots of work but it could be done.
One other question would be 63 style heater blower set up or would the 64-66 style be easier to "flip"?

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #10
murdoc

Heres some pics I saved on my hard drive from who knows where and when. I think I remember reading that it came factory that way...

murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
66-PMD-GMC

When I was a kid in rural Michigan, a very long time ago....
I was fascinated by the mail lady as she had a RH drive mail jeep...
Not so rare I know, but I always thought that it would be kinda cool to have a RH drive car or truck.
The cab is stripped down on my 63 hot rod truck.
The 63 is taking a back seat to the 66 and the 66 takes a back seat to the 79.
I have WAY too many projects going but the RH drive idea doesn't seem to want to go away.
I can see hanging the pedals and other stuff would be pretty simple.
The heater box has me stumped. The 63 is inside and the rest (60-62 and 64-66) seem to be outside.
I originally wanted to do an extended or crew cab conversion, maybe I should go the whole way and do an crew cab RH drive, rear engine, 4 wheel independent suspension truck....

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
I wonder if anyone has done a right hand drive on a 60-66.....
Now that would be cool...
Now I wonder what it would take to do it???? Hummmmm????????????
Whatever you do please don't do like the manufacturer did to AMC Jeep Wagoners that were imported to the UK in the late 70s/early 80s . They had a wheel on a stubby little column with a cog like a bicycle sprocket on it , this then ran a looooong saggy chain across to the left side where the rest of the column was in its original place with a matching cog banged on the top . It even needed periodic lubing and adjusting

What were they thinking ...

My '63 Panel
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC View Post
The heater box has me stumped.
Just go aftermarket and mount it under the dash... done deal.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Whatever you do please don't do like the manufacturer did to AMC Jeep Wagoners that were imported to the UK in the late 70s/early 80s . They had a wheel on a stubby little column with a cog like a bicycle sprocket on it , this then ran a looooong saggy chain across to the left side where the rest of the column was in its original place with a matching cog banged on the top . It even needed periodic lubing and adjusting

What were they thinking ...
They weren't! That's obvious.
So I see your in GB Ratty, have you seen any RH drive 60-66 GMC's or Chevy's?
I never noticed any when I was there visiting family in Leeds...
Then again, I was busy trying not to freak out driving on the wrong side of the car and on the wrong side of the road.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #15
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Just go aftermarket and mount it under the dash... done deal.
I was thinking more along the lines of clean and stock looking.
I was out looking under the dash in both the 66 and the 63 and if there is enough room for the box that comes off the firewall to clear the motor, then I might be able to make it work.
Wish I could look at the truck that Murdoc sent photos of... That would answer a ton of questions.

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac

Last edited by 66-PMD-GMC; 04-16-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #16
Ratty

No , you see thats where you're wrong . We drive on the correct side , its the rest of you that do it wrong . If it was good enough for King Richard its good enough for us

There's plenty of yank iron over here but most of it is LHD . Most of the american stuff over here is imported secondhand from the States , either by individuals if its pre-70 or by the good old USAF if its later . There's an awful lot of later 70's C10's on Q plates that have military paint under whatever glam colours they now wear .

Most of the RHD stuff I've seen has been imported from South Africa . Chrysler used to sell RHD converted vehicles over here in the 60's but the majority of Chevy stuff available these days had Daewo written on it a few years ago , a fact that us British enthusiasts are about as happy about as you guys are I'd guess

My '63 Panel
Old 04-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
66-PMD-GMC

I have often wondered about "junk yarding" in the UK and what in the world would I find???
Maybe I would find that elusive crew cab 60-66 truck..
Well, if I ever get pulled over for diving on the wrong side of the road I'll have to tell them that Ratty said we are all doing it wrong on this side of the pond...
Got your PM Ratty.. thanks

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
Ratty

Something I forgot to say ;

Speaking as a GB based american car enthusiast/hotrodder I personally wouldn't want a RHD yank motor . Part of the joy of these vehicles is the fact that they're different from the norm over here , your average Joe know's nothing of racing on the deserts or cruising the strip , he just sees something like what he's seen at the movies and goes "Yeah , cool car" .

Those of us that are properly into the whole scene see much deeper than that , to the extent that if you saw two 1965 C10's for sale (For example) in identical condition and spec except for the side the drivers seat was mounted , the LHD one would be worth more . Sounds crazy but thats the way it is , I guess a factory RHD would be worth a bit more to you guys even though its 'wrong' for your roads .

Its funny when you look back at the history of our two motor industries (Cars , trucks , bikes , it doesn't matter) that you can see how the two grew up to suit their enviroments . Leaving aside economic issues created by two world wars in general the Brits and Europeans built smaller lighter vehicles that handle well which were suited to our tighter twistier roads with no (Or very high) speed limits whereas you fellas built big comfy cars that could cruise all day on the straights with a low limit . For the same reasons you guys invented Speed Week and Drag Racing whilst we came up with Grand Prix and Rallying .

Don't believe me ? Well even to this day I challenge you to go first to a Harley dealer and ride a Road King , and then go to a Moto Guzzi dealer and ride a California . Both big air-cooled V-twins built for covering big distances in comfort but one designed in the US and the other in Europe . The Guzzi is the better bike in almost every respect from a European point of view , it goes stops and corners way better than the Hog , but if I ever make it over the pond I know which one I'd rather ride .

Its a funny old world , sorry for diving off topic

My '63 Panel

Last edited by Ratty; 04-16-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Ratty

PS , 'Junkyarding' in the UK is pretty much a thing of the past now , unless you really need a new ashtray for your Nissan Micra , sorry ...

PPS ; Why do we drive on the left ? Google knows ...

Up to the late 1700's, everybody travelled on the left side of the road because it's the sensible option for feudal, violent societies of mostly right-handed people.

Jousting knights with their lances under their right arm naturally passed on each other's right, and if you passed a stranger on the road you walked on the left to ensure that your protective sword arm was between yourself and him.

Thats cleared that up then , where were we

My '63 Panel

Last edited by Ratty; 04-16-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
66-PMD-GMC

I was riding with a cousin in Yorkshire in a "Micro mini??" That went all day on pennies and I think it had a 3 cylinder?? and my Aunt Edna has a 3 wheeler that the disability people gave her to drive...
ALL too small for my 6' 280 lb frame...

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #21
Ratty

Bloody hell , has she still got the three wheeler ? I swear they only gave them to disabled folks so the rest of us knew to stay well clear , they were all painted pale blue for some reason . She'd be no use for this thread though , think they were all centre-steer

A micro mini is something that ladies who dance for money in cheap bars wear , have you got your cousins phone number ? And don't do yourself down , ther's plenty of 280lb ladies wearing them over here . We wish they wouldn't but there you go ...

My '63 Panel

Last edited by Ratty; 04-16-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #22
old cruiser

Here down under my 64 is still left hook , one thing to keep in mind when steering from the opposite side of the car is being patient when you want to overtake another car you have to find the right moment and place to do it.
The conversion would be quite simple another idea for steering system would be using rhd rack and pinion

Last edited by old cruiser; 04-16-2011 at 08:30 PM.
old cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #23
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by old cruiser View Post
Here down under my 64 is still left hook , one thing to keep in mind when steering from the opposite side of the car is being patient when you want to overtake another car you have to find the right moment and place to do it.
The conversion would be quite simple another idea for steering system would be using rhd rack and pinion
THAT"S IT!

Rack and pinion would be rockin!

Was out assessing the truck and I think I am getting closer to making the commitment.

A rhd truck here would be so completely different and what the heck, I could get a job delivering mail!

Now on to peruse the internet for parts...

What the hell am I getting myself into???? My grandfather would say something to the affect of ee-by-gum are ya bloody daft lad??? and I would say.. yup! Sure am Gramps..
Maybe I should go with this motor … hahahaha
Attached Images

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac
Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #24
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

What happens when you want to pass a truck on a two lane road? Sitting in the passenger seat, you'll never know when the lane is clear...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #25
66-PMD-GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
What happens when you want to pass a truck on a two lane road? Sitting in the passenger seat, you'll never know when the lane is clear...
There is always someone throwing common sense around

Well, dang it, you got me there....

Projects..

440CID 2X4 Pontiac