The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
69trk

Probably the dumbest thing i've ever done with my truck

I was putting new headers in the truck, and in order to get them to fit i had to move the engine back about an inch. So i took the driveshaft out and remeasured it to take to the driveline specalist and to have in shortend..After about an hour or so of working on the truck, i decided to jack up the front end of the truck to get it off the ramps.. So i slid the front ramps out and went to lower the truck and it rolled off the rear ramps into the side of my shop door rails. The only good thing was that the shop door was up... But anyway, do you guys think that this can be fixed without having to paint the whole rear bedside? Also i had this painted about 8years ago, and the body shop is closed, so i'm not sure of the paint code on the white. I remember him saying that it is the white diamond that's on the escalade.. So i'm thinking it might be on the 2000 escalade... I do have the paint code for the kopper by house of kolor...
Attached Images

431 big block times, changed to a 6.0 ls with turbo
1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
69trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
sellersrodshop

Re: Probably the dumbest thing i've ever done with my truck

chances are with that pearl you will end up blending into the whole panel. at the very least, to do the job correctly, you will have to re clear the whole panel even if the color blends on a spot repair.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
caja_larga

pearl is a B&t@H to spot repair.. you should to the whole bed. If you are really picky do the whole side(cab, door, and fender.)
caja_larga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
69trk

the crease in the corner, do you think that will be pretty hard to take out? And about how much is this going to cost do you guys think?

1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
Old 07-23-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
big_al_71

any good body shop would be able to fix it and blend the paint then clearcoat the side. I would say somewhere around 700-800 dollars just my .02....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
68C10withA396

That SUCKS!
I don't have a clue about paint (wish I did) but can you give me the paint code for the HOK Kopper? I'd like get my 68 painted that color.

'68 C10 SWB 396/350/4.11
68C10withA396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
mclairmo

That is horrible. I would think it would be about $1,000 to fix here in So Cal but not sure about your area. Be sure to find a good custom shop and see examples of how they paint match. That is most critical and not easy to do.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Go to your local professional paint shop and they can scan it with their color analyzer and give you the correct mix. Have them mix a "shake and spray" can that you can use to try your hand at fixing it. Sand, mask, spray and buff. At worst it will look better then what you have now and will cost only about $20-$25. It will be a good temporary fix and at best 99% of the people will not even be able to tell it has been repaired at all.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I know that metallics are hard to blend. I bought a '90 Olds 88 that had 14K miles and the MFR's Certificate of Origin....never sold. GM had used it to test the solar tinted glass that came out in the '91 Olds and Buick top-o-the line bodies (Regency/98 and Park Avenue Ultra). Anyway, I never knew that it had had any damage or repair until I was turning a corner one day with the sun in the right place and a good "drive-by" window front. The spot showed up as a different shade of gold....not a big spot, maybe 6-8 inches in diameter. But, it still showed to me that metallics are hard to blend and look like nothing ever happened. It is my belief that GM woulda had the work done at one of their on-site shops, not farmed it out.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
69trk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C10withA396 View Post
That SUCKS!
I don't have a clue about paint (wish I did) but can you give me the paint code for the HOK Kopper? I'd like get my 68 painted that color.
It's pbc-46. Pictures don't do that color justice. I get more complements on this color than any other color i've had...

1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
truckpoorpackrat

That color is probably correct. If you can find a good bodyshop you trust, ask the painter if he has any test panels (let down panels), you can set this against your truck and confirm it is the correct color. The paint code should be GM code 78 or wa140B. The problem with the paint matching will depend on the painter. 1. He will have a lot of room to blend WITH IN the bedside 2. With a let down panel (If you want to know what this is do a search for "let down panel") he will know how much of the tint coat to use to closely match the rest of the truck. I would suggest removing the rear bumper before you take it to get a estimate, that way you wont get "there is more damage behind the bumper". Also consider most good production shops have a mixing bank for paint & will charge extra to order house of color. I would estimate 6 hr. body repair .5 hr. R&I top molding, .3 hr. R&I taillight .3 hr. R&I taillight bezel .3 hr. R&I front lower molding .3 hr. R&I rear lower molding 2 hr. replace rear bumper & about 6-8 hr. for paint ( including tricoat, two tone, & clearcoat). Probably $275.00 for paint & materials, plus house of color paint. If you find out your local labor rate this should get you close to what it will cost. James. (Is there more damage than what is in the picture ?)

Last edited by truckpoorpackrat; 07-25-2009 at 10:13 AM.
truckpoorpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

This is an attempt to maybe make you feel better. I had my Camry jacked-up, changing the filter. I let it down and turned away toward my bench. For some reason, it wasn't in gear. It completely missed both sides of my garage but did roll THROUGH my neighborhood association fencing. This was not good.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #13
69trk

Thanks for the break down and the paint codes. There is not any more damage than what is in the picture. I'm glad that i posted this on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckpoorpackrat View Post
That color is probably correct. If you can find a good bodyshop you trust, ask the painter if he has any test panels (let down panels), you can set this against your truck and confirm it is the correct color. The paint code should be GM code 78 or wa140B. The problem with the paint matching will depend on the painter. 1. He will have a lot of room to blend WITH IN the bedside 2. With a let down panel (If you want to know what this is do a search for "let down panel") he will know how much of the tint coat to use to closely match the rest of the truck. I would suggest removing the rear bumper before you take it to get a estimate, that way you wont get "there is more damage behind the bumper". Also consider most good production shops have a mixing bank for paint & will charge extra to order house of color. I would estimate 6 hr. body repair .5 hr. R&I top molding, .3 hr. R&I taillight .3 hr. R&I taillight bezel .3 hr. R&I front lower molding .3 hr. R&I rear lower molding 2 hr. replace rear bumper & about 6-8 hr. for paint ( including tricoat, two tone, & clearcoat). Probably $275.00 for paint & materials, plus house of color paint. If you find out your local labor rate this should get you close to what it will cost. James. (Is there more damage than what is in the picture ?)

1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81