The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
TypeSL2

6-lug Budget Disc Brake Conversion

I have a '64 with 4 wheel, no power drums that I would like to convert to at least a front disc/rear drum/power brakes setup. Trick is that I would like to keep my 6 lug so I don't have to switch wheels. I like the wheels and tires currently on the truck and don't want to have to spend money on new wheels if I don't have to. Are there any off the shelf parts from other trucks that will fit my needs? I am not necessarily meaning the conversion kits that can be had from LMC or other retailers like that. I am more referring to stuff that I can get cheap from the local parts house to piece together my own kit. Thanks in advance.

James
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
T Smith

Re: 6-lug Budget Disc Brake Conversion

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559678
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
NEWFISHER

Here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...57&postcount=3
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
NEWFISHER

T-smith for the same time win !
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
T Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
T-smith for the same time win !
But you gave a better link!
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
tincan1966

I haven't yet figured out to build one of these trucks without spending any money, but there's sure a lot of people trying to......
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
TypeSL2

While I do thank you for the links, neither of those answer my questions. I was asking if there was off the shelf rotors and calipers that can be used that retain the 6-lug that do not come from companies like CPP or LMC. More specifically, is there another truck that used the 6 lug rotor that can be used on disc brake spindles.

James
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 12:30 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

What you are asking about is detailed here in this popular thread. Look in posts #1,4,5 & 16

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367260
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #9
tincan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
While I do thank you for the links, neither of those answer my questions. I was asking if there was off the shelf rotors and calipers that can be used that retain the 6-lug that do not come from companies like CPP or LMC. More specifically, is there another truck that used the 6 lug rotor that can be used on disc brake spindles.

James
Posted via Mobile Device
Here's the VERY easy answer to your question:

YES there is

There are over the counter parts you can stroll into a parts store and buy.

Use donor parts as mentioned numerous times and referred to in the links.

Also if you use the resources here in the FAQ section- almost any question you will have will be answered, as well as detailed parts lists.

And a side note:
IF you are running stock wheels on your '60'-66 truck, they will not clear disc brakes once you have them installed- the inner diameter on the back side will not clear the calipers.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
kieth

Quote:

James
Posted via Mobile Device
There is somewhere a front disc brake rotor that is 6 lug it is in the 83-88 year range, but it will not allow you to keep the stock wheels due to interference with the disc brake rotors.......one way or the other you will have to buy new front wheels, be they 6lug or 5 lug. Kieth

ps I bought a 91 burb wrecked for $900.00, used the whole front crossmember, engine, wiring harness, transmission, motor mounts, power steering gearbox etc......that is relatively inexpensive.....could have used the wheels but did not like them.....put a set of cragars on instead....
go here to see the build www.kieth.smugmug.com click on the 66 gmc gallery.
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
verdell

Quote:

James
Posted via Mobile Device
A 1988 C2500 uses a 6 lug disc rotor but i'm not sure if it'll work for what you want to do. I too wanted to retain my 6 lug set up with discs but ended up buying dropped spindles (Western Chassis) and the 6 lug disc brake set up (Classic Performance). If i'm not mistaken, this '88 C2500 rotor would be the replacement for my set up but I haven't found the need to do so yet. Keep in mind that the newer rotors use roller bearings rather than the old ball bearings. Might be worth checking into. Hope this helps.
verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
TypeSL2

Thanks Tin Can. I really appreciate it. I did not find any threads that mentioned about the wheels not fitting. That will help us make our decision.

I did read the threads posted, but did not find the answers I was looking for. I must have overlooked them. I always check the FAQ section before posting any threads. The search function has been acting up as well. I am an active member on many forums and know exactly how this stuff works. Thanks for the help.

James
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
mano

Quote:
Thanks Tin Can. I really appreciate it. I did not find any threads that mentioned about the wheels not fitting. That will help us make our decision.

I did read the threads posted, but did not find the answers I was looking for. I must have overlooked them. I always check the FAQ section before posting any threads. The search function has been acting up as well. I am an active member on many forums and know exactly how this stuff works. Thanks for the help.

James
Posted via Mobile Device

Stock drum brake wheels will not work. You need 70s-80s 4 wheels drive 1/2 ton wheels
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I guess I don't understand just what you're looking for. A 6 lug disc brake conversion doesn't get much simpler and with off the shelf parts as in the link I posted.

Quote:

James
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
TypeSL2

Somehow I missed that post you put up Captainfab. Thanks for that link. For some reason, I missed that thread every time I went to the FAQ. I may be contacting you soon about one of those famous booster brackets. I need some power brakes on my truck like yesterday.

James