The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
oldcane
Account Suspended

power disk brake question

This probably gets asked a lot but is doing a brake conversion as easy as going to the parts store and getting all the pieces?

I'm thinking about doing a 4/6 drop with disk brake spindles so can I just go to o'reillys and get rotors, calipers, pads, booster, m/c, proportioning valve and some brake line? I'm sure there a few accessory parts I'm forgetting but from what I see that that's a lot cheaper than a kit and I just don't have any good junk yards around here. Plus I'd want all of these parts new anyway.

I guess I'd have the same question about power steering, too.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: power disk brake question

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=597939
Old 10-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
oldcane
Account Suspended

So that's a no? I don't see a clear answer in the faq. I had already read the thread with links to the faq and that guy too was not getting his question answered.

If it's too difficult to answer yes or no then I guess I came to the wrong place. Sorry I wasted your time. I only make that mistake once.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Dayum dude. Someone else will plug in when the thread gets read by someone that did the job...don't have to get grouchy bout it. (He was tryin to help and you didn't indicate up front ya already read thru the FAQ.)

**** and sugar both attract flys, but if I'm gonna try drawin flys I'd rather have the sugar layin around the house cause it smells better.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
NEWFISHER

There is a wealth of knowledge here for those who want it, just look around. For those who need spoon fed I have short answers.

No is the answer to your original question.

If you can not read through the link I posted and the attached links within the thread then all I have to say is " good luck with your build".
Old 10-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
gofastnut

No need to get testy Newfisher, they were simply pointing you to a veritable mountain of information. I just spent the last 10 minutes reading some of it, and Captainfab has a link about swapping stock parts.
I will say that when you start looking in the FAQ, the details of what you read start to get fuzzy and run together, it makes it hard to remember what came from where, at least for me.
As for your 2nd post having what appeared to be attitude, please respect your (posting) elders, they've got a lot of info to share to those willing to look.
We get A LOT of 1 or 2 post guys on here that want spoon fed answers. It's easier to direct someone to the general vicinity, than to type it all out again.
Good luck with your swap.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
Old 10-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
luvbowties

Exclamation Re: power disk brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcane View Post
So that's a no? I don't see a clear answer in the faq. I had already read the thread with links to the faq and that guy too was not getting his question answered.

If it's too difficult to answer yes or no then I guess I came to the wrong place. Sorry I wasted your time. I only make that mistake once.
Might oughta slow down just a tad; it's hard to re-word a "set of encyclopedias into 10 words or less"! Keep in mind we didn't even get the year or make of your truck--and they differ in what will fit and what won't fit.

You'll prolly hafta buy from more than one place, altho' O'Reilly may have most of what you need. (Ie, may hafta buy drop spindles from another source.)

I think this is what u are hunting: "DISC BRAKE P STEERING 60 62 63 64 66 67 70 Chevy truck". Search that exact phrase on Ebay under "Ebay Motors" category, read all about what you get, and buy the disc for $20. This item seems to satisfy dudes asking for a recipe and who either don't want to learn enough to buy salvaged parts, or cannot work the 'yards', due to no salvage yards available--just rather un-bolt and re-bolt and stop and steer.**Here is a present link on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISC-BRAKE-P...#ht_1266wt_917

I bought a copy of this AFTER all my studying, hunting, finding, adapting, and final installs of both power disc brakes AND power steering on customers' vehicles as well as my own. Just wanted to see what info this guy had assembled into one place, and compare to all my files of parts and year-model stuff that worked for me; and it seems well worth the $20 cost. Heck, I'd have benefited from having it when I 1st started several years ago on these old trucks--and I can see places it prolly would've saved some time, labor, and money.

Then when you run into a problem, and you will even if you buy an all-in-one kit, this forum can help you work thru it--but be patient when asking. A wealth of info exists on here, and no one person knows all answers to all problems; but many know their particular vehicle both in and out--stuff you are unlikely to find printed anywhere, even in the mfg's manuals.

Good luck with your re-build. It CAN be educational AND enjoyable, if we allow it to be; but attitude and patience determine whether the experience is good or bad.
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 10-17-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: power disk brake question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Dayum dude. Someone else will plug in when the thread gets read by someone that did the job...don't have to get grouchy bout it. (He was tryin to help and you didn't indicate up front ya already read thru the FAQ.)

**** and sugar both attract flys, but if I'm gonna try drawin flys I'd rather have the sugar layin around the house cause it smells better.
FYI: I thoroughly enjoyed your post here: so much truth and story-morals to be learned. Plus, I dearly loved the 2-syllable spelling of the 1st word--def. the 1st time I've seen such a spelling, and def. will never forget it. Hope you don't have a copyright, as I intend to pass it along in some of my future writings!
Sam
Old 10-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
jmack91z28

This thread is full of fail.
2001 Dodge 3500 Dually 24v NV5600 4x4
USMC Reserves
Jason
Closed Thread