The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
Green Monster

Is the console ash tray the same as the rear arm rest ash trays?

I'm in the process of restoring my interior on my 1972 Blazer CST, finally.

The three small ash trays are a little beat up so I figured I might as well purchase some new ones since I'm replacing the rear arm rests. I thought the ash trays were the same but when I saw the two different numbers listed on LMC's website I figured there must be a difference, like the front is deeper or something. I was not sure because I figured my ash trays may have been swapped at some point, but I really didn't know.

I went ahead and placed an order for a front console ash tray (38-5010) for $59.95 and two rear chrome ash trays (38-2403) for $19.95 from LMC.

The two rear ash trays showed up at the same time while the front was on back order. I front showed up several weeks later. Upon comparison, the dimensions look identical, but the front has a rough satin finish and appears not to be chrome plated. I suppose it is supposed to be this way to closely match the finish on the ash tray bezel plate on the console but I'm not really sure. Interestingly the front ash tray showed up in a www.harmons.com package with this information on the label: 62-77 Nova, Chevy II Part #X223750 and 55.00 written on it in pencil. A LMC sticker was placed on the package with part no. 38-5010 as well. I found the ash tray here: http://www.harmons.com/ItemDetail.aspx?pid=15588.

Does anyone know for sure? I'm think this is pretty odd considering the non chrome plated ash tray costs $59.95 while the chrome plated costs $19.95. I want the interior to be correct, but this is a little strange to have two different finish ash trays in the same vehicle. I feel like I got burned out of $40.

Last edited by Green Monster; 01-07-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Green Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
lookingtobuy

Re: Is the console ash tray the same as the rear arm rest ash trays?

Hey Green Monster : )

Here are the 3 out of my truck. All the same, no numbers or anything.
I can't tell you if they are original or not, but the condition of the truck when I bought makes me believe the original owner took care of it.

Are you trying to help the scammers on Ebay get more money on the next batch of fake sales by restoring it? ahahhaha
Attached Images

lookingtobuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Green Monster

Your the man. Thanks for the pictures. I'm sending this expensive junky looking ash tray back and exchanging it for a $20 unit.

Yeah... scammers. The interior should look pretty nice when I'm done. I'll share pics with you guys. It should be done by spring.

BTW- Do you have a plastic cover for the bottom back of the passenger seat where the handle is? If so, what color is it? Mine is missing or was never installed in 72's. Not sure.

Last edited by Green Monster; 01-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
lookingtobuy

Mine looks just like yours... no cover.. just the lever with the black plastic ball.
lookingtobuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Green Monster

Cool. Thanks for looking and responding.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
72armyswbtruck

Those look almost like the ones that I have. Nice info on the part #. Now I need to go check my master parts book.
Too bad you bought those, I could have saved you $30 bucks and sold you three of mine.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
old man jimmy

Since I bought my truck new, I can say for sure that they are all the same, and all chrome lids. You're right the wrong one is way over-priced.
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote