The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Catfisher'

basic tools?

I need to know what kinda tools I need. Im just gonna be workin on my own and family's vehicles. I just need a basic list of stuff to get a begginer like me going. id like to become a mechanic later on. Im 16, dont have alot of money, and I'll probably get some tools and stuff for christmas. ill take any imput you can give me!
by the way, i am not gonna be in a shop. ill be doin stuff in my drive way.

Thanks in advance, Justin.

Last edited by Catfisher'; 11-23-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Catfisher' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
notrailerqueens

Re: basic tools?

best kinda starter stuff is to get you a basic set of sae and metric sockets in shallow and deep. 3/8 drive will prob be your most used ever with 1/4 and 1/2 being used fairly less if your not gonna be in any big projects. a set of screw drivers, couple hammers, again a basic set of wrenches in sae and metric, maybe a test light and set of stripers/crimper if you plan on doing anything with electrical, tape measure (ud be surprised youll use it promise). you could go with like a craftsman all together set (you can find em pretty cheap with all the basics) or you could ask for the stuff seperate if your plannin on it being on your christmas list, i know last year lowes had a set of cobalt (not the best but pretty darn good with lifetime waranty) wenches on sale for like $30 right after thanksgiving. it was a good starter/espanding your tool drawer set. you can get the diff sockets and wrenches in sized sets and just tell each family member which one to get and who know you might clean out with a box full lol.

thats just my suggestion though.

85' chevy long box, built by a girl!

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429956
notrailerqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Catfisher'

Quote:
Originally Posted by notrailerqueens View Post
best kinda starter stuff is to get you a basic set of sae and metric sockets in shallow and deep. 3/8 drive will prob be your most used ever with 1/4 and 1/2 being used fairly less if your not gonna be in any big projects. a set of screw drivers, couple hammers, again a basic set of wrenches in sae and metric, maybe a test light and set of stripers/crimper if you plan on doing anything with electrical, tape measure (ud be surprised youll use it promise). you could go with like a craftsman all together set (you can find em pretty cheap with all the basics) or you could ask for the stuff seperate if your plannin on it being on your christmas list, i know last year lowes had a set of cobalt (not the best but pretty darn good with lifetime waranty) wenches on sale for like $30 right after thanksgiving. it was a good starter/espanding your tool drawer set. you can get the diff sockets and wrenches in sized sets and just tell each family member which one to get and who know you might clean out with a box full lol.

thats just my suggestion though.
sounds good. Thanks
Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
notrailerqueens

also heres a link to another discution where some other guys have thrown out some good info.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=411347

Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Catfisher'

Thanks.

Last edited by Catfisher'; 11-24-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Catfisher'

iv been lookin at lowes. where are some more places too look?

Last edited by Catfisher'; 11-24-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #7
ryans69chevy

I think getting a big set of craftsman tools from sears would be an awesome idea. Maybe just ask for money for xmas and save up for one of those sets. That's what I wish I would have done. Then you have pretty much all the tools you need to do beginner stuff and learn on with a really good brand. When you go to college to be a mechanic they will most likely have you buy a bunch of tools to do the job, but now you would already have them!
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Catfisher'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryans69chevy View Post
I think getting a big set of craftsman tools from sears would be an awesome idea. Maybe just ask for money for xmas and save up for one of those sets. That's what I wish I would have done. Then you have pretty much all the tools you need to do beginner stuff and learn on with a really good brand. When you go to college to be a mechanic they will most likely have you buy a bunch of tools to do the job, but now you would already have them!
thanks, Im gonna think about that.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
cableguy0

For everyday use craftsmen ratchets SUCK. Especially the ones in the kits. I have a pile of them in a drawer that I wish would just disappear so that I didnt make the mistake of picking them up. The biggest problem is if you crank up on a bolt to break it loose they will often change direction causing you to punch whatever it is your working on really hard. You also have to be really careful which sets you buy because most are sold by X number of pieces the biggest issue is 50 pieces might be allen wrenches. Your absolute best bet for decent stuff cheap is harbor freight. For 1/2 inch impact sockets there set is great. Its like 20 bucks and they are strong. I use them everyday and havent broken any in 2 years. My brother has the same set and also uses it everyday. They also sell set of extensions. The black impact extensions are what I use. The whole set of 3/8's is 10 bucks same for 1/2 inch. I havent managed to break them either. My wrenches are Snap on and my ratchets are snap on along with more stuff that I care to name. You do get what you pay for in most cases but a lot of the harbor freight stuff has shocked me in its quality especially for the price.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
notrailerqueens

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
For everyday use craftsmen ratchets SUCK. Especially the ones in the kits. I have a pile of them in a drawer that I wish would just disappear so that I didnt make the mistake of picking them up. The biggest problem is if you crank up on a bolt to break it loose they will often change direction causing you to punch whatever it is your working on really hard. You also have to be really careful which sets you buy because most are sold by X number of pieces the biggest issue is 50 pieces might be allen wrenches. Your absolute best bet for decent stuff cheap is harbor freight. For 1/2 inch impact sockets there set is great. Its like 20 bucks and they are strong. I use them everyday and havent broken any in 2 years. My brother has the same set and also uses it everyday. They also sell set of extensions. The black impact extensions are what I use. The whole set of 3/8's is 10 bucks same for 1/2 inch. I havent managed to break them either. My wrenches are Snap on and my ratchets are snap on along with more stuff that I care to name. You do get what you pay for in most cases but a lot of the harbor freight stuff has shocked me in its quality especially for the price.
i do second that i have had some issues with craftsman ratchets, got a couple cool scars on knuckles to prove it. i also have alot of snap on stuff but if your just starting out snap on is pretty pricey to start stocking your box with. i do have a few ratchets that i picked up from harbor freight for the purpose of keepin in my off road box and cable guy is right alot of their stuff is shockingly enough pretty dang good quality. i would still recomend that you deligate out a few diff things to diff people for christmas if thats how your looking at gettin your stuff. and also he is right about the big all in one kits most of em waste alot of your "peices" on dumb stuff like 1000 allen keys

Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #11
cableguy0

If you shop wisely you can get more than you will need for doing any repair on an old truck and most cars for about 200 bucks. Shop online. check amazon.com and harbor freight. You can fill a cart with stuff at harbor freight. The thing is its better to have a not so great tool than to not have the tool at all. You can always upgrade as you go but to get started and get the most bang for your buck hit up harbor freight. I can give you a decent list of what to buy from them thats decent stuff for cheap.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Catfisher'

ok, sounds like im gonna go lookin at harbor freight!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
a.c.1

bought a set of harbor freight impact sockets 12 years ago for 20 bucks. i've used them daily ever since at work, haven't broke one yet. you might consider starting with a decent sized roll around cart with a work top since you will work in the drive way alot. make sure it has room to grow. Get yourself good organizers so you can get a quick inventory every time you get done working.
a.c.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfisher' View Post
ok, sounds like im gonna go lookin at harbor freight!
I'd go to sears..
they have sets 155 piece /etc on sale as it's xmas time..
sears replaces their stuff for life if you break it..
h/f does not..
sears is everywhere... so if you move, your not s.o.l.
sears ratchets only have issues when not cared for..
most that tell ya the ratchet failed and drew blood. are from lack of oil'n then from time to time..
you'll have the same issue with pricey snap on if you don't mantain them.. moving parts inside can't work forever with no oil..

get a sears kit in a plastic case.. for 99 bucks.. and that will be a great start.
if you got 160 to spend you can get a huge start up kit..
x mas is coming add little things that are not part of kits to that xmas want list. you might get one.. gasket scrapers are always handy and not part of a starter kit or a good sized pry bar.. maybe a jack or stands..
don't forget pon shops..
good luck...
if I was in your shoes and needed a starter kit..
I'd do the sears route then ask for the ratchet wrench sets for xmas (they're on sale)
and you'll love them, they are the best thing I've bought in a long time..
there is long and short wrenches .. start with the normal size then down the line get the shorties
have fun..
good luck
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
getbent

get your craftsman at pawn shops flea markets yard sales, and then trade them out at sears for new ones, but oil or no oil craftsman ratchets suck the tooth count is low and they tend to have to much play in them , imo spend the money on a few nice {mac, snap-on} ratchets and the sockets wont matter
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #16
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

I would go with Craftsman, keep an I out at pawn shop's and Craigs list. also yard sales . stay off the tool truck's , you pay a lot just for them to come to you and they'er all turn'n to junk too. I have a new fancy Snap-on box here, really disapointing !
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 AM   #17
cableguy0

Harbor Freight has a lifetime warranty on most of there tools. Budget wise its the smarter way to go and I trust the harbor freight stuff more than than I do the craftsman stuff. Also Home depots husky brand has a very nice set of sockets which comes with 1/4 3/8's and 1/2 inch ratchets and sockets. It also comes with a set of metric and standard ratchets. A friend of mine bought it quite a few years ago and has had no issues with any of it. The ratchets are a ton tighter than the craftsman junk. Its very similar to this set http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053 .. I would spend the 1st hundred bucks on that set and go from there.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #18
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

you have to really watch what ya get a HarborFreight, the popwer tool's are pure trash, the wrench are bulky to make up for poor quality steel, the stuff that dont get a lot of use is ok from HF. I have some die grinders from HF that have hung in there for years .
I never had any more truoble out of my Craftsman ratchets than I do the one's off the tool truck. they need to service'd and there not hammers. my Local guy's where go'n thru a lot of ratchets till I got em some decent hammer's.
also at Sears , Champion and Craftsman are not the same thing .
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #19
cdowns

i only buy harbor fright stuff as one time disposable stuff

a good set of 1/4" drive rachets makes things alot easier when working in tight spaces like in back of dashboards etc.// my most favorite bestest tool is a palm ratchet
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
Shane
Account Suspended

lot's of positive talk over at Garage Journal on the DuraLast ratchets from autozone ... seriously. just the ratchets though, not the wrenches or screwdrivers.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
timjt

ratchet set (beeing covered!)
gasket scraper
1 foot metal pipe to get more leverage out of your ratchet
2-4 jack stands
jack
long, medium, short screwdrivers
razor blade
magnet bowl
needle nose pliers

1983 short n wide custom deluxe SOLD

1985 silverado longbed 305 engine 700r4

OH NO! NOT ANOTHER LEARNING EXPERIENCE!!!

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should"

Last edited by timjt; 12-02-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling lol
timjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #22
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

im a fan of craftsman except for the ratchets. As for ratchets, just pick up a nice older SK, proto, mac, snapon off ebay. I do have a 15 year old round head fine tooth craftsman that i trust.

Get some vice grips, creeper, and good work lights

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 12-02-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
getbent

I scored 9 stubby wrenches at a pawn shop today for a dollar a piece 9 bucks 9 wrenches a mix of sae and metric, thats how I like to get my tools and sears is running there big xmas tools sale I went by there to warranty exchange an extention that the ball had collapsed on and wound up buying a craftsman 3 piece prybar set for 20 bucks, also stopped by harbour freight to check out a oil pressure tester and got their good one and it was 20 bucks looks better than my buddies snap-on at a 1/4 the price its a nice sturdy looking piece, a good tool collection takes time and money to assemble.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #24
swamp rat

I hate to say it but i really like my Handy cut set from craftsman, quick and easy way to cut hose.
Did anybody mention diagional side cutters yet? I just did a quick scan and didn't read it all.
Battery terminal cleaner and battery post wrench are a must have.
An antifreeze tester too, there inexpensive and a must have.
A small multi meter is a good thing to have too but i get way more use out of my test light.
A gasket scraper.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 12-03-2010 at 01:06 AM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #25
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Hi Justin …cool thread!

Maybe you should print off all of the suggestions
on this thread and tick off the ones you fancy!

In my post, I'll be a bit wordy and opinionated here
because I'm a total tool-hound!

Timjt had a good basic list…I will add:

One of the most used household (or shop) tools I
use is my battery powered screw driver.

Get a smaller, cheap rollaway and a couple of
hand-caries for your tools. (used good here)

You need a GOOD floor jack and several 2-ton jack stands.

(If you can find a used, old Snap-on floor jack (or other
quality brand)…go for it! ..even if you have to replace
the ram…you will never look back!)
On a floor jack, don't go cheap! HF are crap.

Safety equipment…fire extinguisher, safety glasses and a first aid kit.

Fender protectors are nice. Chunks of carpet work well.
Lots of rags and shop towels. Recycled T-shirts are a great gift to get.
Never hurts to ask for a box of rags or trash bags. Hehe.

You need 3/8” and 1/2” breaker bars for your sockets (good 6-point).

Shoot for both 1-ton and (again) 2-ton jack stands (they are taller)…
…get plenty of them. Needed truck-jack-up-stuff.

Adhesive tapes of all kinds. Carb cleaner and brake cleaner.

Vice-grips and adjustable pliers (quality here).
Get quality Slip joint pliers (adjustable pliers )..they wear out.
Hammers – smooth ball peen, 5# sledge, etc ~ used fine.
Get a rubber or leather hammer, too. Again, used fine.
You will always need tin snips but they are usually free
used, or darned near. I think they breed in my shop.

Go to the pawnshops, swap meets and CL. Look for older scrapers,
chisels, sockets (good ones). Especially look for name brand 6-point,
deep well and (double-especially!) wobble sockets and wobble couplers.

A rolling contractor-grade compressor is nice (used ones are cheap
on CL) and don't get a little one!!.
Plus a 3/8 air socket driver and an air impact wrench.
(You can get by on HF here, IMHO, and upgrade later.

Collect lots of assorted socket extensions. (Swap meets)

While at the pawn shops, look for any good diagnostic tools.
If you have someone to go with you that knows more about
this type of stuff, all the better. A multimeter is a must as well
as test leads.

I agree:
"As for ratchets, just pick up a nice older SK, proto, mac, snapon off ebay."
There is no reason to buy throwaways.

Lastly (I could go on forever and am out of digital breath), talk
someone into getting you ratcheting wrenches…they are sooo cool!
(That's what I'm asking for from Santa)

HAVE FUN!!

Last edited by ETsC10; 12-03-2010 at 04:00 AM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote