The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #1
seafoam68

Power steering or Manual?

I am doing a frame off resto of my 68 swb fleet. I placed a power steering box on frame because its what I thought I should do. But I'm having second thoughts. It has been many years since I drove the truck but it seems I remember it steering pretty well with a manual box. This is going to be a weekend road warrior with a 600 horse big block. Im thinking maybe go back with the manual so I dont have to worry about a power steering pump on my "pro street" engine. Trying to keep the bare minimum engine compartment theme. So, question is, for those who still use manual boxes, are they good enough? Keeping in mind it is much more of a pro street than a cruiser. Thanks.
seafoam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
TheSeeker

Re: Power steering or Manual?

Up until April, I daily drove my truck, 69 shortbed with a manual box. Everyday cruising was easy, parking could be a pain depending on the layout of the lot. Movie theather was an especially big pain. I wouldnt hesitate to use a manual box on a weekend cruiser, but a lot of people prefer the two finger steering of the PS.
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #3
Mr Handy

After driving my truck for 4 years with a worn out manual box, I cobbled together a PS setup and installed with my 350 and it made a huge difference in how much I enjoy driving my truck. For me the biggest advantage comes in with the alignment and the extra caster that can be added over a manual setup. The truck is easier to steer in tight lots and finally runs straight and true with no hands over just about everything but pot hoes and medium to heavily cambered back roads.
I would think with the extra weight of a big block the difference would be even more noticeable.
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
truckster

Having owned a number of both, I vote for power steering. You get into tight parking spaces with manual steering and you really have to crank the wheel.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
Lou Boffa

Variable ratio power steering. Best mod I ever did on my '70.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
Overdriven

Pro street, bare minimum engine compartment theme? Screw that if it means decreasing driving enjoyment. My truck is manual and yeah it's fine out on the road. But parking lots and even getting out my tight driveway onto the narrow street is a chore. I'll deal with it for now until I do my ls swap but no way am I going to let a "look" detract from my driving enjoyment. Function over form.

And there's other boxes out there besides the 2 finger kind. My father just put a quicker ratio power box in his 67 Camaro and man is it good. The weight of the steering and the ratio makes it feel like modern performance car steering. Except for the skinny steering wheel anyway!
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

Big block manual steering ? Cancel that gym membership ! Go power steering unless your sporting a l6 .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:28 AM   #8
Gromit

Don't forget to check with the GF too..
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:24 AM   #9
In The Ten Ring

Manual steering isn't bad until you have to make some tight turns while stopped. The trick is to get your wheels rolling.....actually getting one's wheels rolling before turning even with power (assisted) steering is a good idea.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:37 AM   #10
68bowtie

a lot of guys frown on doing things to your truck "just for looks". but if looks don't matter and everything is about comfort and convenience then go buy a minivan. i say do what you want and if you decide you don't like it then you can spring for the upgrade.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
old51sedan

Having bought a 1969 pickup (manual steering) new back in the old days, I decided I would like have another one to play with. Bought another 69 two months ago with manual steering. When they delivered it to my home, they backed it down of the truck and said there you go. I had to crank that thing really hard to miss my darn mailbox. Almost fifty years after I bought the first one it got a lot harder to steer, so @ age 73 I drove it right into the garage and installed the PS. What a difference, at age 24 versus age 73.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #12
hamjet

go ps, mine has a heavy engine and fat tires. royal pain. I'll be going ps as soon as I get caught up on my move..
Old 07-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #13
seafoam68

Thanks everyone. I believe you have convinced me to stay with the power option. Guess I just have to come up with the pump and hoses now.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
RichardJ

I never minded driving my '67 with the manual steering, but even with the I6, parallel parking the long wheelbase made it feel like I was wrestling a bear inside the cab. Along with the PS you can use a smaller, more civilized steering wheel.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #15
jjlett69

I changed out the rag joint and used a borgeson vibration dampning joint instead, and i can tell you that it made a huge difference and way less effort to turn the wheel at a dead stop.
Attached Images

“ A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein
jjlett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #16
Aruba1

Go with manual and USPS me your p/s box, or I can even come pick it up (insert smiley face here).
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #17
seafoam68

jjlet69, where did you get the joint? I have had trouble finding the right rag joint and they are kind of expensive. Also does everyone use a stock type of pump or any of the aftermarket ones and if so, opinions?
Old 07-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #18
mike16

I have a 68k20 with manual steering. lots of effort but i like it. My 72c10 has power steering.

people have mentioned variable rate power steering. would my 72 have that or did it come out later
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #19
jjlett69

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam68 View Post
jjlet69, where did you get the joint? I have had trouble finding the right rag joint and they are kind of expensive. Also does everyone use a stock type of pump or any of the aftermarket ones and if so, opinions?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-034934
i changed it out when i put an IDIDIT column in it. Your right its a little pricey, and i havent hit the road with it yet since im still putting truck together , but just going in and out of the garage way less effort to turn wheel, and thats with 225/70/15 tires. I guess just basic physics helps out a little and less binding then with a straight rag joint.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #20
jjlett69

Ill throw my worthless opionion in here, if your going pro-street and want a clean and simple compartment and the truck is just going to be used as a weekend warrior/carshow and cruise etc. I would keep it manual. Basically thats why i am not running power steering, 1. Im a cheap skate 2. i like to keep it simple. 3. its kind of fun when your backing out of a parking space at a local cruise and everyone is smiling at you as your muscling your steering wheel LOL.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #21
seafoam68

Well, that is one reason I thought against power, is having something hanging on the front of motor. I will be using an electric water pump and am considering an old idea I saw about relocating alternator to rear end housing. I cut my car teeth on drag cars, having owned a 81 z28 that ran low 6 second 1/8 mile times before I even had a car for transportation, so I guess I am trying to relive a little of my racing youth.