The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
gafiredog

carb. problem

got my 83 c-10 going thanks to many of you guys. now another problem. from the begining i have had to pour a little gas in the carb. for it to start. it starts right up, and runs good. when i shut it off, and try to restart it it just spins over like its out of gas. when i pour some gas in the carb. it will start right up. and run fine. i have changed the in line fuel filter, and the one in the carb. inlet, no improvment, it still has to have gas poured in the carb. to start. i pulled the gas line off at the carb. and its getting a good stream. any ideas ?? thanks guys. Art
1987 crewcab dually
1986 crewcab single wheel
1948 anglia- (the dixie twister super gas)
gafiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
COMP

Re: carb. problem

sounds like the accelerator pump
COMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #3
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

what kind of carb is it? If it doesnt bog when you whack the throttle it might not be the accel pump. Depends on the type of carb it is.. Qjet, Holley, or Ebrock?
Old 09-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
SSC's76
No No

Kinda ann odd problem can you pump the gas a few times and get it to hit?
Like mantined an acelerator pump being bad could be a issue but that would cause some major driveablity issues. Usually some gas will stay in the carb even if you had a bad vaine in the fuel pump allowing it to bleed back out of the carb. For kicks check the fuel pump and see if it is leaking gas around the weep hole. Even if it was bleeding back to the tank through the return vaine there should be some gas in the carb unless when you shut her down and your getting a vacuum caused by a bad fuel pump.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

is your choke operating correctly?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
gafiredog

its a factory carb. a rochester 2 b. ya know, it does bog when i whack the throttle. as for the choke, i haven't let it run long enough to see if it works. but i don't think it does, i checked the wire going to the electric choke, and had no fire in in the wire. i will put a new pump in it tomorrow, and see what happens. thanks guys, oh yeah, and there is a vaccum leak i can't find, could it be comming from the fuel pump ??
1987 crewcab dually
1986 crewcab single wheel
1948 anglia- (the dixie twister super gas)

Last edited by gafiredog; 09-13-2008 at 10:50 PM.
gafiredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

first thing to do is to try to run down the vacuum leak.. you can use carb cleaner to see if its at the base then check the hoses then the choke is next

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote