The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #1
cochino12
It followed me home?

What size line wrench for brake line?

I am pulling the 12 bolt out of the K5 to get it regeared/posi installed and left the house before checking to see what size line wrench I need to pull the brake lines? Anybody know what size I need? I assume I cant use a regular wrench to get them out. Thanks

Adam

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
menace121978

Re: What size line wrench for brake line?

Adam, i just double checked mine... 3/8th and 7/16th for the rubber line. i would def. use a line wrench if youve never taken them off before. i stripped a few of mine the 1st time and ended up using vise grips

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
Adam, i just double checked mine... 3/8th and 7/16th for the rubber line. i would def. use a line wrench if youve never taken them off before. i stripped a few of mine the 1st time and ended up using vise grips
got em, thanks

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
menace121978

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
73chevyman

i'm trying to get mine off and a line wrench is not working think I'm going to have to do something different
http://hotridesmag.com/
73chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
nlped

I'm trying to get my front soft lines loose from the hard lines, what a PITA!!! Who was the genius that came up with stopping the hard line inside the frame rail? I can barely even touch the d@mn thing, much less get a line wrench at it. Between the transmission lines and fuel line on the passenger side, and the P/S lines that are ALL in the way of getting my big mitts on them, I can't seem to figure out how to get them. It looks like it also has a cheesy metal nut holding the rubber line into the frame rather than the normal e-clip...SWEET!

Can I, somehow, get that big nut off the soft line and then pull the hard line out through the hole in the frame to access this genius meeting of lines? HELP, I'm about to have a dang Heart Attack from the heat and the frustration!

Thanks for reading

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
silvereagle07

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlped View Post
I'm trying to get my front soft lines loose from the hard lines, what a PITA!!! Who was the genius that came up with stopping the hard line inside the frame rail? I can barely even touch the d@mn thing, much less get a line wrench at it. Between the transmission lines and fuel line on the passenger side, and the P/S lines that are ALL in the way of getting my big mitts on them, I can't seem to figure out how to get them. It looks like it also has a cheesy metal nut holding the rubber line into the frame rather than the normal e-clip...SWEET!

Can I, somehow, get that big nut off the soft line and then pull the hard line out through the hole in the frame to access this genius meeting of lines? HELP, I'm about to have a dang Heart Attack from the heat and the frustration!

Thanks for reading
I just did mine a few weeks ago. On the passenger side I held the rubber line nut at the frame and the inside with a line wrench. I just popped the line (pushed frameside and pulled inside) really quick it came loose. I did soak it with penetrating oil first. The driver side was a pain. I took the line loose at the prop valve to put it in the vise to hold it. Then I got a good grip on it and popped it loose. It was a major pain but it worked better than stripping it. I have held them with vise grips really tight before but I don't recommend it.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote