The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Mattman2010

Front Clip Removal

I just bought a 1980 Chevy K10, and I am wanting to remove the front clip, as a whole piece. Im not sure where all the screws are. I started to remove the screws from the drivers side fender, I found one screw by the hood hinge, one in the door jam at the top, and two in the wheel well. Now the fender does not act like it wants to move at all. Am I missing a screw somewhere mounted to the cab? After I get the cab screws out, should the radiator mount be removed by the two body mounts up front? What about the wheel wells are they screwed to the frame at all?

Thanks for the help,
Matt

1984 K30 CC Dually - "The Tank"
12V Cummins/Nv4500/Np205/D60/D70HD 4" lift & 37's
Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Mattman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Front Clip Removal

the two right by where the hood ends inside the tops of the fenders( one per side), the two at the inside of the fenders up by the upper hood hinge ( one per side), the two at the bottom of the fenders each side and the two core support bolts will remove the front clip as a whole... you w ill also have to disconnect rad hoses and the tranny cooler lines if equipped and air conditioner lines if equipped as well as the electrical to the lights and horns

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
85Bowtie

I'm getting ready to do this as well. Glad to get some info before I started on it.
'77 Dodge Monaco ex cop car 440, 727, 2.71
'79 Dodge 'Lil Red Express pickup 360, 727, 3.55 Sure Grip
'12 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, M6, 3.92
'85 Chevrolet C-10 SWB 2wd 305, TH350, 2.73
85Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
the two right by where the hood ends inside the tops of the fenders( one per side), the two at the inside of the fenders up by the upper hood hinge ( one per side), the two at the bottom of the fenders each side and the two core support bolts will remove the front clip as a whole... you w ill also have to disconnect rad hoses and the tranny cooler lines if equipped and air conditioner lines if equipped as well as the electrical to the lights and horns
Also 4 in the inner fenders (2 per side) where they attach to the front of the cab, and 2 (one per side) that are in the gap (door open) between the fender and door near the upper door hinge. You can leave the hood bolted to the fenders...get a couple of friends to help, that is a lot of metal to lift! 2 guys can do it if you eat your wheaties that morning! Unplug the wiring at the fuse box by loosening the center bolt, the wiring harness for the lights/front clip will separate from the rest of the harness once you get it off the back of the fuse box to ease removal of the entire front clip.

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Mattman2010

I got mine off today, there are 2 bolts by the cowl (one per side), two in the door jams at the top (one per side), 4 bolts in the wheel wells on the cab side (two per side), two on the bottom of the fender underneath the truck (one per side), and then the two on the radiator support. Unhook the wiring harness, and grab a few buddies (Two might be possibility, but I would recommend three. I was on one fender, while my dad was on the other fender, and my cousin was on the radiator support.)

I will be pulling my engine tomorrow. Now I need recommendations on how to remove the cab. Is it possible to lift the cab by the top, or do I need to get to the bottom? If I am to lift the cab, is the cab better removed with the doors on or off of the cab?

Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Old 06-13-2010, 02:29 AM   #6
westofb

I made a frame work out of 2x4's that I connected to my engine hoist, cherry picker. It lifts the cab by the door frames, it is real simple for one guy to lift it by themself with it, I made it for lifting it with the doors off, and centered the pivot point from side to side, and a little more forward on the front to back pivot...give me a day or two if your interested in pics, it works great...just lift the cab and pull it off the truck to either side.

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 AM   #7
Mattman2010

Yeah, I would like to see some picture so I can get an idea of how some people remove them. I don't have an engine hoist, but I do have a big frame that my uncle made to hoist things up with. I would still like to see your way of doing it, because i might be able to modify it to work for what I have.

Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

westof i forogt all about those ones in the wheelwells!! thanks for the reminder!
a cheaper alternative to the framework is a six pack and a buddy to help lift it all

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
westofb

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
westof i forogt all about those ones in the wheelwells!! thanks for the reminder!
a cheaper alternative to the framework is a six pack and a buddy to help lift it all
No thanks required! IDK, only need about 3 2x4 studs to make a lift (and they don't have to be new or pretty)...close to the same price and you can use it reinstall the cab....ur method would require rounding up the buddies and another trip to the liquor store to get it back on!

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150

Last edited by westofb; 06-14-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
westofb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman2010 View Post
Yeah, I would like to see some picture so I can get an idea of how some people remove them. I don't have an engine hoist, but I do have a big frame that my uncle made to hoist things up with. I would still like to see your way of doing it, because i might be able to modify it to work for what I have.
If you are talking about gantry or overhead frame, it should be pretty easy to rig something up...I haven't had time to get pics yet, will try to get some tomorrow if I don't have to go into work. I would think you should be able to get a large webbed ratchet strap, roll down the windows, run it through the windows and make it into a loop with a little slack in it, hook your hoisting device near as possible to the center of the cab and lift away. Of course go slowly making sure you aren't damaging something, or in case you forgot to unhook something. If you use this idea, you will probably need a couple of friends to help steady the cab and to move the frame out from under the air born cab. I am not sure of the weight of a loaded cab, I would guess it somewhere between 600 and 800 lbs. Mine was stripped when I moved it and I guess it was somewhere around 300 lbs (no windows, doors, column, heater box).

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150

Last edited by westofb; 06-14-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Mattman2010

Yeah, its just a frame over the vehicle and I have a chain winch hooked up to it. My uncle built it when he was in highschool. So it is alright to lift the cab by the roof? I guess I want to use some straps instead of chain to prevent damage. I removed my engine lastnight (First time doing this), and we lifted the engine up and then pushed the truck backwards, which is how i would remove the cab as well. I did not know that tranny fluid was going to come out when I had unbolted the transmission from the transfer case, so everything is on hold till i get that cleaned up.

Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
westofb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman2010 View Post
Yeah, its just a frame over the vehicle and I have a chain winch hooked up to it. My uncle built it when he was in highschool. So it is alright to lift the cab by the roof? I guess I want to use some straps instead of chain to prevent damage. I removed my engine lastnight (First time doing this), and we lifted the engine up and then pushed the truck backwards, which is how i would remove the cab as well. I did not know that tranny fluid was going to come out when I had unbolted the transmission from the transfer case, so everything is on hold till i get that cleaned up.
When you lift it like I did, you are actually supporting the weight of the cab on the door openings....they are very strong and will easily support the weight of the cab. If you use some straps to attach it to your overhead lift, keep some slack in them so they don't damage the outer roof skin.

I sent you a pm about the color....I was thinking of another thread...LOL...I guess I yak on here too much!

Oh, yeah about the tranny fluid, they make one hell of a mess, while it's out get a pan with a drain plug for it or install a drain plug in the old pan....if you have to work on it again in the future you will glad you did!

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150