The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
matapalo

Saving a 40 gal gas tank

I got a hold of a 40 gallon gas tank from someone who's Suburban was involved in a flood. The waters reached over the gas tank filler opening which was not sealed tightly. The tank filled up with flood mud and who knows what else. He pulled it of the burb and left it sitting in the elements for over a year now. My question is, if it is salvageable and how to go about making it useable again?

Here's some pics; anyone recognize what it may have origionally come from? Is it custom?

matapalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
68caliRat
Need a bigger hammer..

Re: Saving a 40 gal gas tank

Is there old gas inside with the mud? I'd say drain it and wash it at a local car wash.(they have grease traps.) If there aren't any pin holes in the tanks I don't see why it couldn't be saved. Might have to line the insides with a sealer, and I would replace all the hoses. Is there mud in the remote tank? Might be hard to clean it out..
Old 12-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
myoldchevytruck
Retired Air Force Veteran

Was going to salvage me original behind the seat tank so I took it to the local radiator shop. For $125.00 they were going to clean, seal and check for pinholes. I later decided to put a blazer tank in the frame rail of my 69.

If it's not rusted and does not leak and if that's what you want, then keep it.
Swap 6 Lug to 5 Lug (w/ Disk Brakes in Front)
3/6 Drop

Help Support The Board
Click Here For Information On How To Subscribe

Krue's FAQ Page

Vendors
myoldchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
lts70
1970 Daily Driver

I had to clean out the blazer tank I put in my truck. I used Muriatic acid to strip the rust out caused by water exposure. Muriatic acid is used to adjust the PH level in pools. It is also used to etch concrete and clean brick. I got two gallons at Home Depot last weekend for only $8. Just poor it in the tank with a chunk of chain or a handful of old nuts and bolt and agitate and let sit on each side for at least 20 minutes. Be sure to use metal so that you can get it back out with a magnet. After doing this you will have a tank that looks brand new on the inside. Be sure to flush with water to remove all remaining acid. Then immediately after the water flush rinse it out with acetone to stop it from starting to rust again. If you skip this step surface rust will immediately return.

I just refurbished a metal motorcycle tank that had bad rust damage and decided to take it one step further by sealing it with Red-Kote gas tank sealer, there are other brands but through research I found that Red-Kote is the best product on the market. I wish I would have done this with my blazer tank because two years later I have started to see rust particles in my fuel filter again. One of these weekends I plan on pulling to do a clean and seal on it too.

Supplies

1. Piece of chain or nuts and bolts
2. Degreaser
3. Muriatic acid Rust remover
4. Red-Kote Tank sealer - one quart
5. Acetone (2 cans)
6. Small piece of plastic sheeting to protect ground
7. Tape (duct tape should work to block holes)

Procedure

1. Remove Gas Tank from Car (drain gas, take off sending unit, etc.)
2. Pour Rust remover into tank, put chain in tank, agitate completely
3. Remove chain, hose out tank with water
4. Pour degreaser in tank, coat inside of tank, wait 15 minutes, empty tank
5. Rinse tank with water, pour in acetone, slosh around, empty tank, wait 15 minutes for tank to dry
6. Put wad of plastic in drain hole to protect threads, tape up sending unit hole and overflow hole
7. Pour in can of Red-Kote, rotate tank around (do not shake), pour off excess, let sit overnight
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
matapalo

I think I'll try and save her. Should be fun when it costs $150 to fill 'er up at the gas station though.

Thanks for the advice, you guys are great!

Last edited by matapalo; 12-20-2007 at 11:38 AM.
matapalo is offline   Reply With Quote