The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
Bleach
this guy

I have lost my ignition key, now what?

So yeah, I have no idea where the key for my 69 is. If I take the VIN to the chevy dealer, can they make me a key? I know they can do that on later models.

How hard is it to install a newly keyed ignition switch? Where can I get one, how much?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
neonlarry

If its the original switch go to a locksmith. They can give a GM number to call and they will call the locksmith with the code to make a key. Either that or have the smith get a new lock the same series as your door cylinders and he can rekey those to match new ignition cylinder.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

They can't do anything like that fromthe VIN.
Easiest way is to call a lock smith.
If the same key locked the doors, then you can save a few bucks by removing a door lock and taking it to the lock smith.
replacing it all is a posability, and any restoration parts vendor can help you...and the cost isn't all that bad. However, you'll play hell getting the ignition switch out with out a key.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:33 PM   #4
Bleach
this guy

Actually Longhorn Man, I at one time had a federal work truck that was a 3/4 tone Chevy, it was an 01. I locked the keys in the truck with no way to get into it. I walked down the road to the chevy dealer with the VIN and they made me a key right then and there. Now I don't know what they did, but I left with a key.

I also have no idea if the key fit the doorlocks. I always thought I was missing a key. So basically I need to contact a locksmith because this is nothing they haven't seen before.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
Longhorn Man

I know you can do that today with new cars...we do it all the time at the shop. I was refering to 1969 truck.
I inda wonder about the whole have the VIN, get a key thing...I can walk up to any car in the parking lot and write the VIN down...go to the dealer for a key. They have never asked for ID or proof of ownership...nothing.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 PM   #6
Bleach
this guy

The truck I got a key for was like I said a fed gov't vehicle. I did have to provide proof that I was the rightful driver and they did call the agency I was working for.....I hope no one can get a key to any vehicle without showing proof.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Napa

You can buy the whole key lock cylinder with a new key in it for $10 at NAPA - at least around here...cause I just bought one

Strighten out a paper clip and jam it into the small hole on your existing switch and use the new key with that you got to turn the old lock cylinder to the "ACC" position and pull the whole thing out.

Then put the key back in your new cylinder and put it into the ign switch and turn to "On" and you should be good to go.

It is a pain in the A** to get the old one out..you have to play with it and push in on the paperclip to get it to release..but with patience it should work
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #8
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Strighten out a paper clip and jam it into the small hole on your existing switch and use the new key with that you got to turn the old lock cylinder to the "ACC" position and pull the whole thing out.
This shouldn't work as you need to have it in the acc position before you stick the paperclip inti the hole.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:59 AM   #9
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I had to take a punch,and drive the old lock out cause teh cylinder was larger than the bezel that holds the switch in,then replace the whole switch,cylinder,and bezel once I had the old one out.And they aren't easy to get out either.

The sad thing is that was 2 years ago,and when I pulled the seat out last week I found the missing key
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:51 AM   #10
adman123

Sorry but that is too funny! Always the way it goes!!
adman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:54 AM   #11
Putter
More Cowbell....

Take the passenger door lock cylinder to the locksmith and he can make you a key in less than 15 minutes and it usually costs about $7-$12. A locksmith told me to use the passenger side one 'cause it most likely hardly ever gets used and will not have worn down over the years. Using it will give the most accurate cut.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:56 AM   #12
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman123
Sorry but that is too funny! Always the way it goes!!
So is the story of my life
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:06 AM   #13
Blue Beard

The Vin number wasn't used on trucks of that vintage.

The right door cylinder usually had the code for cutting the key, as well as not being used as much.

Chances that the ignition lock and the door lock were the same key are slim.

Chevrolet only used about 1500 different key codes.

These locks are what's called a sidebar wafer lock. Without the original key it would be near impossible to get the cylinder turned correctly to pull it out.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:13 PM   #14
cdowns

in cases like this i usually just use my spare key, i'd suggest in the future you spend the $1.49 to have a spare key made up
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #15
ecdc

I suggest you read the thread about keys for old trucks, Getting a key made did not insure a second useful key. ECDC
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #16
oldsub86

Try turning the lock cylinder with a screwdriver. A lot of these old locks are worn enough that you don't really need the key to turn them. Sometimes, you can take the key out while the motor is running too. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:46 PM   #17
2wdBlazer
The Blazer King

Try other GM geys you might have access to. I would bet you money 1 will fit. I have grabbed the wrong keys and shoved them in and the truck started right up. These 30+ year old ignitions have some leway.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:04 PM   #18
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdc
I suggest you read the thread about keys for old trucks, Getting a key made did not insure a second useful key. ECDC
in the past 40 some years i've had hundreds of cars and trucks ranging from the 1920's thru the 1980's and have never failed at attempts to have a spare key made ESPECIALLY the modern era ones from the 1950's thru the 1970's

Old 10-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #19
Bleach
this guy

Wow, I never thought about a spare key! Thanks for such insightful advice Cdowns and your useful suggestion. I'm usually such a tight ass I never wanted to spend $1.49 for a spare but I've seen the error of my ways.

The key was gone before I started work on this thing and I have yet to find it. Still haven't heard a consensus on what to do now. So if I take the passenger cylinder, they will be able to make me an ignition key, is that what I'm hearing?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:15 PM   #20
curbyk
69 C-10 project

While working on my 69, I removed the washer fluid bottle and there was an extra key hidden by a previous owner, maybe you will as lucky. If not call a lock smith and ask them what would be best.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:43 PM   #21
2wdBlazer
The Blazer King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdBlazer
Try other GM geys you might have access to. I would bet you money 1 will fit. I have grabbed the wrong keys and shoved them in and the truck started right up. These 30+ year old ignitions have some leway.
I'm telling you, this is the way to go.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:52 PM   #22
curbyk
69 C-10 project

If you are not the original owner, you may contact the last owner, I know I always seem to find keys for things I no longer own.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #23
cdowns

HMMM don't like my spare key suggestion?? well you could sit around and watch mcguyver reruns , about every third episode he uses gum wrappers or paperclips to hotwire a car/truck then you could start it up and drive to a locksmith

Old 10-15-2004, 06:45 PM   #24
Longhorn Man

Thumbs up

here is a quick and painless answer if you need to get on the road like now.
Go to the junk yard and find a truck with the key in the ignition. I'm not positive, but I am pretty sure the vans with ignitions in the dash will swap to trucks no problem.
1. With the key in the ignition, turn it counter clockwise to the ACC position...if it is a 68 or older, it may or may not have said position, if not, then start off with the key in the ignition switch, and in the off position.
2. Insert paperclip ir real small allen wrench into the small round hole by the key slot. You should feel it go against a spring loaded plate. Depress the plate with the clip or wrench.
3. twist the ignition switch counter clockwise. You may have to wiggle, push whole assembly in, cuss...ect. If the lock cylinder does not pop out, then try shooting some PB Blaster into the assembly. Continue untill it pops out. If the key comes out of the switch when the switch is turns, then it has a worn tumbler. You'll need a tiny screwdriver bent to where it is almost J shaped. (the tip should curve a little less than a J) or the proper tools, which you can find on the dentists table when getting your teeth cleaned. (or at sears in the tool section) You'll want to have the switch turned, and pull the key out, hook your tool into the key slot and pull gently. Brute force will not help here. You may need a combo of hooked tool pulling and kei in wiggling back and forth...some times they are a b!tch, other times they pop out in your hand.
3. Once the lock cylinder is in your hand, place it (and the key) out of the way in a safe spot. (tool box tray) Now you'll need to remove the whole ignition switch. Reach under the dash behinde the ignition switch, You may want to look at it with a flash light...I can't remember how the plug is retained...I think it has a couple PITA fingers that need depressed. unplug it. Or, since you'r at a junk yard, just cut the harness and you can deal with the plug later when you aren't upside down looking up into the dash.
4. Sit back up in truck, take a small hammer and chisel...or screw driver, and place the tip in the 'decorative' depressions in the ignition switch bezel or trim. Tap it in a counter clockwise turn untill it starts spinning off. You may have to rech around and hold it from the rear once it is loose. Remove from dash by letting it fall out from behind the dash. Here is what you want to walk out of the junk yard with;

5. Put key and key cylinder back onto the ignition switch assembly and ensure it clicks into place by turning it to the on position. Go pay for it, I would place the key in my pocket myself...some places will only sell as a matched set and make you buy the door locks which probably don't fit the key anyways. (If you check, and it does fit both doors, grab them for a winter project so you'll have a matched set.
Now, hitch a ride home since your truck is at home still, reach under the dash and unplug the ignition switch, and then just plug in your new one. Let it dangle under the dash like in the picture.
You can now start your truck up, drive it to work, and explain why you are late. If you'r lucky, the boss will tell you to go get a copy and laugh.

Now, you can take your time and remove the keyless ignition switch without damaging your dash...or you can wait untill you find the real key, but it won't turn up untill you destroy it...probably moments later.
I used a hammer, (5 pounder) an assortment of cheap already damaged screw drivers, some chissels, lots of cussing, and the aformentioned paperclip/allen wrench. Basicly, hammer something into it and get it to turn counter clockwise...then do it as if that large screw driver sticking out is a key and go back to step one.
Be very carefull with that hammer. If you get too carried away, it'll do dammage to the dash...and your ego...esp if it makes you bleed.
It took me about a month of messing with it a little here, and a little there to get mine done. In all reality, it was probably 4 or 5 hrs of messing with it, but by spreading it over the said month, I never bled nor damaged the dash.

Oh, and a word of advice, make sure you have proof of ownership while cruising with the key hangin under the dash. If you get pulled over for something stupid like doing 20 over the speed limit, or your license plate light being burned out, the cop WILL give you the third degree untill you brove yourself. Ask me how I know. (I didn't have good enough proof with me either)

A note to womever took these pics...thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 10-15-2004 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:28 PM   #25
Longhorn Man

BTW...future reference...this is now in the FAQ section.