The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
PLavelle

Angry Bad news for me!

Last Thursday night I was driving my truck down the highway after work and started hearing a loud banging noise coming from the engine. I immediately pulled over and called a tow truck because I knew something serious had happened.

I had it towed back to my house that night and towed to a mechanic we've used for years the next morning. I called him later that day and he told me that I had thrown a rod (I think) and that I would either have to buy a new engine or have my engine rebuilt.

I just bought my truck last May and when I bought it the owner said that the engine was rebuilt less than 15,000 miles ago.

Now I have a few options:

1. I have a garage I am planning on keeping the truck in for the winter. I could attempt to rebuild the engine myself, which would probably help me learn a few things because I am pretty much mechanically handicapped at this point. I would have to buy books (I guess) on the subject and just figure it out from there. My question is: Do you guys think I would have any chance of doing it myself without any real experience at this point, or am I just going to mess things up worse?

2. Have the engine professionally rebuilt.

3. I have another 350 sitting in a '76 Nova that I could use. It is a friend's engine with less than 20,000 miles on it. At least with this engine I know the history of it and it would be a little more predictable.

4.Buy another crate engine and start over. I guess I would do this so a problem like this wouldn't happen again in the near future.

With the last two options I would either try to do it myself or pay to have someone with experience do it for me.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-16-2004, 02:35 PM   #2
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Wow! Nice truck... too bad about your engine It all depends on what you want for performance, and cost. You could just buy a shortblock, have your heads freshend up, and do it without spending a bunch of $'s
Old 10-16-2004, 02:40 PM   #3
superchevy
Got big-block?

If the engine indeed has thrown a rod, it sounds to me like the easiest, cheapest, fastest route would be to swap the Nova's 350 into the truck. I don't know if it is as powerful as the current truck engine, but if the performance is OK to you, swap it in. Swapping engines is MUCH easier and waaaaay cheaper than attempting a first-time engine rebuild.
Get a Chilton's or Hayne's manual. Rent or borrow an engine hoist. Call over a couple of buddys to help, and you could swap them in a day...definitely a weekend. Pull the Nova motor first, and clean it and detail it so it will look good when you get ready to swap.
After you get the truck engine out, then you can investigate having it rebuilt how you want or you'll know how to swap that new crate motor in when the time comes.
Keep us posted here and ask questions; SC.

'72 Corvette convertible 454/4spd/ac, ps, pb

'73 GMC Sierra Grande short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'77 K5 Blazer black on red, 350/T350/NP205 ps, pb, ac all original

'78 GMC Sierra Classic short wide 454/T400 ps, pb, ac

'72 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 38 built.
'73 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 71 built.
'75 GMC Sprint SP454. 1 of 25 built.

SOLD! '72 GMC K25 4x4 468/4L80e/NP205
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post4324423

SOLD!'55 Chevy gasser 496/4spd
build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...96#post4324396
superchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
PLavelle

Thanks guys.

SC, the truck engine has always feel a little tired to me since I bought it. I drove the Nova for a while before I bought the truck and I think it would be a improvement in performance over the truck engine. I think your solution makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
tnblazerk5
User #12137

well if the freind dont mind ya useing the motor ? use it till you get another one built and if you want to learn how toos on a motor theres no better way then build one but your going to need help ( tools , engine hoist, floor jacks ,jack stands, engine stand, and yes books for specks on the motor you got any friends that have built motors before ?if so get them to help !!! and then theres alway this board if you run into sumthing you dont understand just ask sumone will help ya !! for that matter where are you located at sum board memembers might live near ya and can come and help ya out sum
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Your "assuming" the truck motor can be rebuilt. Even though you shut it down right away, it might still be junk. "Thrown a rod" is a pretty generic term. Did it spin a rod bearing, or did a connecting rod let go? If the rod actually broke, the block could be unsavable junk.

I vote you get a crate motor, or at least a long block and get it back on the road.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:15 PM   #7
cdowns

i'd also vote going to a new out of the box crate motor

to me borrowing a buddies engine is sort of like going halves on a condom
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:36 PM   #8
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns
CDOWNS... LMAO ... THAT GOT TO BE THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE HEARD YOU COME UP WITH YET. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
john@thepier

I remember seeing that truck on E-bay this past spring. I also was intrested in it. At that time the guy told me he wanted 15 Grand for it.Whats funny is the pictures you posted are from his E-bay listing, sorry to hear of your troubles my vote is for a fresh crate engine. GM performace parts has a 350 4 bolt for around $2400.00
john@thepier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #10
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I bought a blazer about 3 yera's ago and the motor gave up the ghost so I bought a new crate motor from the local dealer dropped it in and have not had to do anything to the motor in the 2 year's that it has been in the blazer... Crate motor is my vote..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 05:58 PM   #11
supercheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns

This is OK as long as you remember to turn it inside-out for the 2nd use.
supercheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #12
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

If you buy a Crate motor, You'll have your truck back on the road "SOON" with a dependable Motor, with a Guarantee.... then, tear this one down and start learning the internal construction on this one.. Rebuilding an engine is not rocket science, It just takes a little time,A good Machine shop, Some specific tools, ( that can be rented or borrowed) and a friend or neighbor that has some experience would be beneficial.

Of all the aspects of this hobby,,, There's nothing as satisfying as rebuilding your engine and Cranking her up for the first time.. To me, That's a great rush...

Last edited by RON WOODGEARD; 10-16-2004 at 07:02 PM.
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:14 PM   #13
1972C10
Account Suspended

Im not too big of a fan of crate engines for the same amount of money you can build awhole lot better motor. Or have built

The guy that does all my engines charges 750 for a premium LongBlock assembly For 1000 He will build a thumper IMO It is more practical to have one built and get warranty

Becuase by the time you have all the machine work done to your block crank rods heads etc. and buy pistons gaskets cam springs and anything else you could have gotten a longblock from a builder and get warranty

You wont get any warranty other than 30 minutes or 30 miles wichever comes first if you build it yourself
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:30 PM   #14
onetoncrewcab
One of my kids. Cute eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercheyenne
This is OK as long as you remember to turn it inside-out for the 2nd use.

LOL

John 3:16
2006 Chevy HHR
2000 Dodge Durango
1985 Jeep CJ-7
1970 Chevy Pickup
onetoncrewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 11:57 PM   #15
darksaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Your "assuming" the truck motor can be rebuilt. Even though you shut it down right away, it might still be junk. "Thrown a rod" is a pretty generic term. Did it spin a rod bearing, or did a connecting rod let go? If the rod actually broke, the block could be unsavable junk.

I vote you get a crate motor, or at least a long block and get it back on the road.....

like this?
Old 10-17-2004, 12:09 AM   #16
atcavage

I had the exact same thing happen to me, and if you love your truck, I suggest getting a crate motor put in. They are definitely worth it.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:19 AM   #17
72C203503ONTHETREE

If you threw a rod or just spun a bearing, plan on at least buying a rod and a crank. You may be able to turn a crank but that weakens it some and costs money. Buy a new cast crank from Summit, its not too bad. You can get the new Goodwrench 350 for less than 2000 to, check out scoggin dickey or other chevy dealers advertising in hot rod and similar magazines. Rebuilding one yourself may be cheaper, but thats if there is no damage other than worn bearings, not with major damage a thrown rod/spun bearings cause. If theres too much wear on the cylinders, reboring and new pistons are required.

09 Challanger RT six speed in all black.

74 Datsun 710 wagon, all 1.8 liters of screaming Datsun power.

73 C10 long bed, 350/350 combo, nice shape.
72C203503ONTHETREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:38 AM   #18
MOTHERTRUCKERS

My vote is for option 5 asking the guy you bought it from about the warranty on your 15000 mile rebuilt motor.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:28 PM   #19
Spoof

I've experienced the same problem with a fresh rebuild self destructing around the same mileage. I was a pro shop rebuild and all.
If you have the time and money by all means build it yourself, you can't buy the kind of pride you get from building your own motor.
There's a chance your block, crank and heads will be OK, this is a great chance to rip it apart, find yourself a good machine shop to inspect and magna flux everything, find what needs to be replaced and put it back together. Nothings ever cheap tho!
Old 10-17-2004, 01:33 PM   #20
junkyardjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72C203503ONTHETREE
If you threw a rod or just spun a bearing, plan on at least buying a rod and a crank. You may be able to turn a crank but that weakens it some and costs money. .
THEY ONLY MACHINE .010 OFF THE CRANK ... NOT 1/4" IT'S AWFUL NICE OF YOU TO SHARE YOUR WEALTH OF EXPERIANCE WITH OTHERS LESS EXPERIANCED THAN YOU, INSTEAD OF JUST ANSWERING QUESTIONS TO HEAR YOURSELF TALK.
LIKE THE LINE IN MACS SIGNATURE SAYS...
IT'S BETTER TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT & HAVE EVERYONE ASSUME YOURE AN IDIOT.. THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH & REMOVE ALL DOUBT. JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 10-17-2004 at 01:42 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #21
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardjohn
THEY ONLY MACHINE .010 OFF THE CRANK ... NOT 1/4" IT'S AWFUL NICE OF YOU TO SHARE YOUR WEALTH OF EXPERIANCE WITH OTHERS LESS EXPERIANCED THAN YOU, INSTEAD OF JUST ANSWERING QUESTIONS TO HEAR YOURSELF TALK.
LIKE THE LINE IN MACS SIGNATURE SAYS...
IT'S BETTER TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT & HAVE EVERYONE ASSUME YOURE AN IDIOT.. THAN TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH & REMOVE ALL DOUBT. JOHN
And the Most they will remove 30 thousands.... There are many cranks pulling hosepower with that amount removed... I agree John,, I wished people would not answer these threads when their Proctologist is still removing their heads.... They themselves should read and learn, not Profess what they don't know.....
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #22
PLavelle

Thanks for all of the help guys. I saw my friend's brother today who is a mechanic and told him about what happened. He said he would be glad to help me out with whatever I choose to do, which is very good news for me. I just have to figure out my money situation and go from there I guess. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:41 PM   #23
imdarren

Chevrolet sells a New (not rebuilt) Goodwrench 350 4 bolt for $1,300.
It is their most popular crate motor sold. Your local Chevy dealer sells it I'm sure. To me, that would by far be the best bet.
You will need to put an intake manifold on it and carb, and distributer. You can take these parts off your old motor without any problem.

Darren

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote