The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #1
yellow400ex05

Exclamation will a bad wiper switch mess with the highbeam switch and headlights? strange issue..

Alright i just recently bought a 1984 Chevy C10 and on the way from driving it 700 miles home the wiper washer fluid was stuck on spray, and i tried to turn it off and i guess the wiper switch went bad as well, and it will no longer turn the wipers off and you have to mess with the washer fluid stalk to get it to stop spraying. I had the wiper fuse pulled to stop my wipers till a new switch comes in.

now my high and low beams worked as usual prior to this occuring,

NOW when i turn on my headlights after the switch went bad, on low beams the bottom passenger light comes on

high beams

LOW beams

could the first issue cause the headlight problem from within the wiring in the stalk? anybody ever experience this, im almost sure my odds of 3 headlights being bad on one beam is slim. and on low beam arent the top lights supposed to come out? HELP!
yellow400ex05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
1981Stepside

Re: will a bad wiper switch mess with the highbeam switch and headlights? strange iss

The problem COULD be in the stalk, but I doubt it. I had the same problem with the headlights in my 81. (I've swapped the column with an 85 to get the wiper controls on the stalk.) It turned out to corrosion on the terminals of the headlight harness. Also, the previous owner had converted the headlights to h1/h4 lights from the sealed beams and it was the adapter harness that was corroded.
As far as the wipers, I had an issue with the delay function and had no park function or spray which also turned out to be corrosion on the terminals. If this is what's creating your problem and you're careful, you can remove the brass terminals from the plastic housing, clean them with contact cleaner and give the surfaces a light scuff with sandpaper to ensure a solid connection.

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
1981Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
yellow400ex05

Re: will a bad wiper switch mess with the highbeam switch and headlights? strange iss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981Stepside View Post
The problem COULD be in the stalk, but I doubt it. I had the same problem with the headlights in my 81. (I've swapped the column with an 85 to get the wiper controls on the stalk.) It turned out to corrosion on the terminals of the headlight harness. Also, the previous owner had converted the headlights to h1/h4 lights from the sealed beams and it was the adapter harness that was corroded.
As far as the wipers, I had an issue with the delay function and had no park function or spray which also turned out to be corrosion on the terminals. If this is what's creating your problem and you're careful, you can remove the brass terminals from the plastic housing, clean them with contact cleaner and give the surfaces a light scuff with sandpaper to ensure a solid connection.

the wiper switch wont even click it just spins, until the wires connected to it twist, i turned it too far i believe.. are you talking about where the plug goes into the headlight to give it power? if one had corrosion it would effect more than 1 headlight? it just doesn't make sense to me that one would work on low beam but on the bottom, i thought on low beam the top lights were the ones that came on.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Greenlee

Sounds like your switch is bad since it just spins, but wipers not turning off can be the wiper motor. I replaced my switch twice trying to get the wipers to reliably turn off and park at the bottom of the windshield. Finally, I replaced the motor and that fixed everything.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
1981Stepside

The switch should have a slight click to it as it passes each function on the stalk. Mine only sweeps (or twists) over the delay section. It might be broken. As far as the headlights - yes I was referring to where the plug connects to the headlight. I know it doesn't make sense, but when I was having my issue, the two passenger beams and the top diver side beam would illuminate on the low beam setting. On the high beam setting top passenger and bottom drivers side would illuminate. Both adapters were corroded, and once I replaced them all was well.

My LT1 Silverado build-up: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549660

Check out my new YouTube channel! - https://youtube.com/channel/UCXk5mZOQI1sEnu5bIkhe7fA
Old 02-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
yellow400ex05

well i was panicking trying to turn off the spray before the fluid ran out while i was driving. I'm almost positive its the switch.

also would having no alt/fan belt affect the way the headlights at all? even if the battery has good charge?
Old 02-07-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
1981Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow400ex05 View Post
also would having no alt/fan belt affect the way the headlights at all? even if the battery has good charge?
I wouldn't think so - The only issue with having no belt to your alternator would be that the alternator wouldn't be charging your battery and the truck would run very long off the battery. The lights may dim but it wouldn't affect which bulbs illuminate. Another thing to check - place your hand on the plug on the back of the headlight and the wiring close to the plug when the lights are on. Is the plug/wiring hot or warm? If so, that's a good indication that there is a high resistance value (corrosion) in your circuit which is requiring more amperage to get the volts flowing.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #8
yellow400ex05

well i sprayed contact cleaner in every plug and on the prongs, and used fine steel wool on all the prongs on all the headlights and it STILL does it. wtf. aren't the top headlights supposed to work on low beam and not the bottom one??? my high beam switch must be fine because when the high beams are on ALL 4 lights illuminate and the beam is higher, this doesnt make sense!! they JUST worked 2 days ago half way back on my trip and they started doing this.

all my wires are good this truck has 66k orignial miles and has been completely restored. I just cant understand why when my low beams are on the bottom light comes on. it shouldnt get any power to it at all when its on low beam...

i mean maybe it is my switch being haywire and going bad, cause weird voltage issues.

Last edited by yellow400ex05; 02-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:27 AM   #9
yellow400ex05

well i did notice the 3 prong light is on bottom and 2 prong is on top is that wrong?
Old 02-08-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
Greenlee

I would check the ground wires that screw to the core support. A bad ground can cause all kinds of strange symptoms.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
yellow400ex05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
I would check the ground wires that screw to the core support. A bad ground can cause all kinds of strange symptoms.
so are my headlights not backwards? the 3 pronged headlights are on the bottom the 2 prong ones were on the top? somwhere i read its supposed to have them with 2 prongs on bottoms and 3 on top for the dual beam low beam lamps.

so if i switch them around it should fix it, correct?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
buddy_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow400ex05 View Post
so are my headlights not backwards? the 3 pronged headlights are on the bottom the 2 prong ones were on the top? somwhere i read its supposed to have them with 2 prongs on bottoms and 3 on top for the dual beam low beam lamps.

so if i switch them around it should fix it, correct?
The three terminal lights should be on top and the two terminal lights on the bottom. I think you probably have a burnt out low beam filament on the one side.
1997 Chevy Cheyenne K2500
1999 Polaris Sport 400
buddy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote