The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
Leo Whitlock

Speedometer repair

Is there a place that repairs the original speedometers, odometer works speed is slow by 10 mile a hour.
Leo Whitlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:13 PM   #2
everettelane

Re: Speedometer repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Whitlock View Post
Is there a place that repairs the original speedometers, odometer works speed is slow by 10 mile a hour.
you may need to change the gear in the transmission if you have changed tire sizes from stock.
everettelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Here is how you test speedometer calibration vs odometer calibration.

Speedometer calibration is what speed the speedometer states you are going per the needle position.

Odometer calibration states how far your odometer moves over a measured mile distance. If you drive one measured mile on a road, then your odometer should reflect that in exactly one mile. If it does not, then you need to change the gearing in your tail shaft housing to get the odometer to record an exact mile while driving a measured road mile. This is determined by rear gear ratio and tire diameter. Most transmission shops can provide you with the correct gears for the odometer if they have the correct information.

If your speedometer moves exactly one mile for one measured mile of driving, then you odometer gears in the trans are OK and your speedometer is out of calibration. The only way to correct this is to remove the speedometer from the cluster and have a reputable speedometer shop do a calibration on it.

Using GPS as a comparison is a good way to tell if your speedometer is or is not calibrated correctly.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have the ability to do speedometer calibration if needed.

Take care,
Tom
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #4
Leo Whitlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
Here is how you test speedometer calibration vs odometer calibration.

Speedometer calibration is what speed the speedometer states you are going per the needle position.

Odometer calibration states how far your odometer moves over a measured mile distance. If you drive one measured mile on a road, then your odometer should reflect that in exactly one mile. If it does not, then you need to change the gearing in your tail shaft housing to get the odometer to record an exact mile while driving a measured road mile. This is determined by rear gear ratio and tire diameter. Most transmission shops can provide you with the correct gears for the odometer if they have the correct information.

If your speedometer moves exactly one mile for one measured mile of driving, then you odometer gears in the trans are OK and your speedometer is out of calibration. The only way to correct this is to remove the speedometer from the cluster and have a reputable speedometer shop do a calibration on it.

Using GPS as a comparison is a good way to tell if your speedometer is or is not calibrated correctly.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have the ability to do speedometer calibration if needed.

Take care,
Tom
Tom
I will double check with gps, as I remember the odometer was right and the speed was wrong, can you tell me if the stock 62 was a red/orange needle or a white one. I have 3 or 4 heads and don't remember which is which.
I may be needing your services
Leo Whitlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #5
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Whitlock View Post
Tom
I will double check with gps, as I remember the odometer was right and the speed was wrong, can you tell me if the stock 62 was a red/orange needle or a white one. I have 3 or 4 heads and don't remember which is which.
I may be needing your services
Sorry but I do not know the answer to your question about speedometer needle colors but would be interested to know myself. To my knowledge all the 60-63 speedometers were red/orange.

Is the paint faded enough to make them appear white? I have seen that on later years.

Hope someone chimes in with that knowledge.

Take care,
Tom
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote