The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Old Crow

steering column question

Hey, anyone ever done a power steering conversion on a 47-55/1st truck(actual truck in question is a '54 3100)that involved cutting the original column and shaft off the box and converting to a different box?
I've done this on a Tri-Five when we added power steering and wondered if there was such a kit for the trucks. Also did the power gear box kit on the '59 we're building, but on that we used an Ididit column.
This project was brought to our shop with the column already cut aprox. 2-3" above where it mates with the gearbox. Looks like they took a sawzall and sliced right through the whole thing, shaft, tube and all. If there's a kit involving cutting the column and installing a new lower bushing, u-joints, shaft and box, I'd like to know before I spend big bucks on a new stock steering box.
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: steering column question

One of the aftermarket guys makes a "column saver" kit for TF and AD trucks. It is instructions for cutting the column housing and shaft and a bearing for the bottom. I have also seen a thread where a guy just measured the column housing and shaft dia and went to the local bearing supply and they found one. A deep site search might turn it up. From there it is just a matter of finding the right box. If you are adding a V8 you want to fab one to mount on the top or outside of the frame to get rid of the steering box/header exhaust manifold conflict. Maybe someone can direct you to a build thread. Sorry for some of the vagueness, but I am too busy today to do any searching for particulars....
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
mr48chev

I think what a guy would do is take the whole stock column out and slide the tube off the shaft and box and then cut each to the proper length with the right amount of shaft sticking out to attach the U joint to. Another thing you could do is get a shaft out of a later model that is machined at the bottom to connect to a u joint or other steering shaft component and then cut the stock tube to the length you need and fit a bushing/bearing to the shaft and tube. You would end up with the stock wheel on top and the fittings to connect to the box on the bottom.

I've seen some threads on various forums where guys were using Toyota 4x4 steering boxes that had power steering and on lighter cars the Toyota 4x4 boxes with push/pull drag links. To me that would seemingly work better than hanging the late model GM 4x4 box out front like some of these kits do now. I don't know of any kits to do it though so a guy would be on his own both hunting down a box that would work and then hooking it up.

This is on a Ford where the sector shaft runs through the frame but if you can visualize a tad you can figure out how to mount it on an AD truck by building a simple bracket http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...60_Trucks.html

More info here http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=526930

It looks like they are using 79/84 Toyota 4x4 steering boxes for the swap.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
bensimmons_05

I believe Classic Performance Products (CPP) sells this kit.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...lumn_Saver.htm

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
mr48chev

I haven't seen that one before Ben but it may save a lot of figuring it out on your own if the price is within reason.

It doesn't take long to figure out why guys are always asking a myriad of questions on CPP stuff as they have little or no real description on their products in their online catalog. I couldn't find a price on that kit either and that bugs me.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
whiskeywayne

I was thinking of trying this bearing from Classic Parts, separate the shaft and column, cut to fit, machine the shaft for a u-joint. That is if I ever get time to work on my 1950 3100. Hope this might help.

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-59-.../#.UjpaZtIqhwg
whiskeywayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
bensimmons_05

It has been a while back now, but I was able to get a lot of good information from them by giving them a call! When I called they were very helpful.

---The shop's live video feed--- <<< See what I'm up to!
bensimmons_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
Old Crow

Thanks guys. Owner wants to go back stock with the steering, so I guess I'll have to find a complete column/box assembly.
You can only hang so many accessories off the front of a 235 and he's chosen an a/c compressor over a power steering pump.
Ah, well, he's young and strong.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
Clay54

I would like to add to this thread with another option and not a kit. When I purchased my truck in 1965, the previous owner build this truck using a '49 Cadillac. Engine, 4 speed hydromatic, rear axle. power steering. power brakes, big five hole wheels on front to match rear axle and many other extras. Not being a mechanic, I don't know the correct terminology but the power steering unit was/is identical to whats on a '69 Corvett. This hydrolic cylinder is attached to the rod that connects the two front wheels with a bracket welded to the rod. The cylinder is powered by a pump through hoses. The rod is reinforced with a truss made from about 3/8th inch rod for strength. Everything is stock AD steering with the added pump, cylinder with bracket and the truss to make the package.
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
Old Crow

Clay, you're gonna love this. Classic Performance makes a kit to do this with. Actually there's 3 kits. One is 47-53, one is 54-55 1st, and one is 55 2nd -59. It's around $900 and includes everything but the pump and pump brackets.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old 10-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Clay54

Its been 30 plus years since I saw this thing and I didn't mention the smarts (some kind of control valve) that is a part of the short rod between the arm on the steering box and the left front wheel. Had I known I could have gotten parts to fix this thing back then, I could have been driving this truck the past 30 years. Anyway, sorry to show the world my ignorance.
Clay54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
mr48chev

Ah, you could use that box out of the 1-1/2 ton I have, he would have to turn the wheel about half dozen turns lock to lock but it should steer a half ton pretty easy as big as the thing is.

I never measured that monster up against a 1/2 ton box but it sure looks a lot bigger an heavier.

A good 1/2 ton box shouldn't be too hard to find as many guys as are doing frame swaps if they don't cut the column and shaft in two taking the cab off the stock frame.

It wouldn't be hard to rig the stock column for a swivel or other connection but I don't know if I would want to hook it up to a stock box again without a connector in the middle rather than splicing the shaft.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
lowrodderchev

A buddy of mine hook me up with a wheel bearing that was the correct size for my 57 I trim the column tapped it in and spot welded it for easy removal in the future so I was able to attached my stock column to my Camaro clip
lowrodderchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
Old Crow

Wow, Lowrodder, that gives me an idea(uh-oh!).
When they cut this column, they cut the shaft and jacket to the same length. I suppose I could shorten the outer jacket a bit more, find a couple of bearings to put in the bottom of the column and the top of the box(might even be a kit for this), then machine off the ends of the inner shaft to take a double D coupling like they use in the power steering kits and just put the stock shaft/column back together. Surely that'd be cheaper than a rebuilt box plus the $250 core.
Guess I'd better find out if the box is worth using. Hate to go to all that work and have the box be worn out.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ