The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2024, 11:23 PM   #1
Nima
Blue 67

Universal Turn Signal

Hi:

I've got one of this universal kit and I am having issues with wiring. I have connected everything as instructed on the box and everything is working as it should be except for red light on the unit keep blinking when the turn signals are not in use! The flasher relay keeps energizing even when the blinker lever is at the center (not used) but it turns off when the left or right turn signals is in use. Any ideas?
Attached Images

1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
2005 Silverado 2500, 4x4 Duramax, original owner
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 11:35 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Universal Turn Signal

Your Probably not getting a good ground.

As mentioned in#4.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 12:09 AM   #3
fauXGT

The indicator bulb in the switch is the only thing that needs a ground.
Either the blue or black wire from the flasher plug to the switch is V+ to feed the bulb only when the flasher module is in the flash/on.
When I cleaned up and wired the old NAPA switch, I placed a separate wire from the ground side of the bulb to out under the dash. That way I didn't have to start scratching the hell out of the freshly painted column to get a good ground.
full Rusto-Mod
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 01:19 AM   #4
leegreen

The last one of those I played with had a single indicator bulb that moved with the stalk, left (green lens), right (green lens) and centered + pulled out was a red lens and activated 4 way flash. The mechanism of the switch made a different set of contacts when you pulled it out.
Other version had a red knob for 4 way, it worked by sliding the whole switch assembly onto a new set of contacts as well.

Maybe your mechanism is not assembled quite right and the 4 way contacts are touching when the stalk is centered.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 10:13 AM   #5
mr48chev

Is the 4 way knob all the way in the off position and or do you have the wires to the flasher in the right positions?

A weak ground for the switch might be the issue too as Getter-Done pointed out.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 10:15 AM   #6
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Is the 4 way knob all the way in the off position and or do you have the wires to the flasher in the right positions?

A weak ground for the switch might be the issue too as Getter-Done pointed out.

I'm thinking that this is the same switch.

\

This is the same set of instructions though.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 06-30-2024, 12:14 PM   #7
dsraven

is this with all the other lights turned off and no power coming from the stop light switch?
have you got a pic of the flasher unit? is it a standard flasher or an electronis flasher? have you checked to ensure the wires there are connected at the correct terminals?
a simple test lead that is connected to ground on one end and touching the signal switch housing firmly on the other end would eliminate the housing ground issue until you have time to do that connection properly
the little indicator light, like any other simple bulb, should only get a circuit to light up if supplied with power and a ground, so, its getting those from somewhere. I haven't had one of those apart in a looong time so I don't recall if that bulb normally is powered but has no ground until the lever is moved, or if it always has a ground but only gets power when the lever is moved. possibly something inside the switch was damaged during shipping etc. if it were me I would carefully dissassemble and check for something out of place, after first checking lf the wiring connections are correct and also that the bulbs on each corner of the truck all have a good ground. a flasher unit will supply power all the time and relies on the switch to be the controller downstream of the flasher. newer vehicles use seperate flashers for the turn signals and the 4 ways because the signal flasher only gets power with the key on that way, so no accidental bumping the signal switch when leaving the truck and then coming back to a dead battery later. the 4 ways can then operate with the key off so the rest of the circuits in the truck don't use power and the operator is able to leave the vehicle unattended if need be.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2024, 12:16 PM   #8
Nima
Blue 67

Thank you all.
mr48chev, the switch and the wiring diagram seems to be the same.
The switch works on all positions: blinker and flasher. When I use the blinker, the green blinker light for each side comes on and the center red light stops flashing. I tried to ground the column strap directly to the ground with separate wire to see if that make a difference. It did not. the flashing red light (not the truck flashers) keeps blinking.
This is what I don't understand: the case seems to plastic (or whatever synthetic material) which doesn't seem to have any electrical conductivity, so how grounding the case make a difference? Unless I am wrong about the type oof material it has been made of. Anyways, when I grounded the strap with a jumper, it didn't make a difference.

This is the unit. I just read some reviews and it seems some other people had the same issue.

ttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721K8ZXX?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
1979 Camaro Z28: 5.3 vortec conversion with build TH350: drivable project, Fun to drive
1992 Camaro RS convertible (Z28 clone): 5.3 conversion with build T5: on going project
Old 06-30-2024, 12:37 PM   #9
dsraven

sorry, I should have said to ground the metallic part of the switch housing where it contacts the column as that seems like where the manufacturer has made their ground point.
it seems like you possibly have a bad or poorly assembled switch. sometimes you can fix that yourself if you take it apart and check it out but then any warranty would be void. are you able to return for warranty and get another, better, brand?
personally, over the years as a heavy duty mechanic, I have had good luck with grote or truk-lite parts. some of the older highway trucks used a chrome housing that had the same look as the really old units except for the 4 ways flasher handle.
https://www.myautovaluestore.com/tru...switch-tru-903
Old 06-30-2024, 12:44 PM   #10
dsraven

units like these were used in a lot of heavy duty applications where the units used a tubular style steering column. most highway trucks were like that back in the day. dominion auto was a big supplier of quality stuff but the truck lite units look to be the same.
https://www.trucklightparts.com/truck-lite-903.html
Old 06-30-2024, 05:51 PM   #11
dsraven

I'd you unplug the flasher unit does the light stop?
Old 06-30-2024, 07:07 PM   #12
fauXGT

I ordered one of those a couple of years ago, and honestly thought it looked too cheap and plastic like I could break it on the first use. In the big box of extra parts I found the old school aluminum bodied NAPA one patented in early 60s. Cleaned it up and wired it into a new harness that uses a 2 post flasher module( I can give you more detail how to if you want). Placed heat shrink on the hose clamp as not scratch up the column, hence placing the ground wire from the bulb out. This switch only uses one bulb that moves from left, right turn and goes on in center with a pull of the arm to activate hazard. That is why only one flasher module is needed unlike modern that has one for turns and one for hazard.
Attached Images

full Rusto-Mod
Old 06-30-2024, 07:14 PM   #13
fauXGT

And dsraven has a point to unplug the flasher to see if it stops. The reason of a 3 leg flasher is to have one leg batt+ in, one out to the load (outside bulbs thru the switch) and the third leg is an isolated B+ that only comes on when the other out leg flashes with the outside bulbs just to flash the tiny internal bulb. If the flasher is malfunctioning, it may be your trouble.
And the grounding may be coming from an internal metal plate inside the plastic body thru the band clamp.
full Rusto-Mod
Old 06-30-2024, 07:21 PM   #14
1project2many

Most three terminal flashers are connected to power on one terminal, load on the second, and the indicator bulb on the third. If the load and indicator terminals are swapped the flasher will behave as you are describing.

And of course, there are multiple configurations for three terminal flashers. Look for the letters X, L, and P on yours. X is the battery connection, L is the load (turn signal bulbs) and P is the indicator lamp or pilot. If your flasher has different letters there's a good chance it's not the correct flasher.

If you are using LED lights be sure you have an electronic flasher. LED lights typically do not draw enough current to make an electromechanical flasher work.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM   #15
Nima
Blue 67

When I unplug the power from the X terminal, the center red light does not flash any more.
This is the unit;
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM   #16
mr48chev

If you watch the video on the add for that unit, that may be a common issue with it. It looks like a guy named Greg Bundgard had that same issue in 2022.
https://www.amazon.com/JDMSPEED-Chro...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

The reviews are about half and half. several have had good luck with it while others have had issues with it not working right.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #17
dsraven

personally, i would hang that uniy on the wall and go with a good reliable unit. once and done. i'm not a fan of doing things like that more than once. or, if it works except for that annoying light, just take the bulb out and carry on.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #18
dsraven

if all the indicator bulbs are internal maybe try a 2 terminal flasher if you have one kicking around or can borrow one from another vehicle for a couple minutes.
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #19
mr48chev

The switch isn't bad looking as the photo is actually upside down. One fix seems to be switching from the 3 pole flasher to two two pole flashers.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #20
fauXGT

Die cast plastic?
It's stated several times in the ad that it is die cast and nicely chrome plated.
And nima said his is chrome plated plastic just like several reviewers, and like the one I got and haven't hung it on my wall yet.
full Rusto-Mod