The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Blacksunshine87

The best 4-link set up!?

Hello everyone ! I'm new here and thought this place could be helpful.
Anyway I recently purchased an 87 2wd short box. I have always loved these trucks. I wanna start with the rear suspension first. I found a 12 bolt rear which should work fine for what I want. The important question is what 4-link set up to choose. I'm not really a fabricator so I'd would be a little Leary of a weld in unit. And also what style to go with? Parallel of triangulated ? I want this truck to be a cruiser but also want to take to the local dragstrip once in a while as well. Defineatly want to bag it for a smoother ride. If anyone could toss out some ideas it would be very much appreciated as to what set up you choose and how much you like it. Thanks!! Allen
Posted via Mobile Device
Blacksunshine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

Re: The best 4-link set up!?

This is the set up I plan on installing in the future when I get down to rebuilding my suspension
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...er=4BK87BC%2DB
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Blacksunshine87

Thanks I'll keep that one in mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
SCOTI

That set-up in the link will still require welding. For a 100% do it yourself, bolt-on kit for your 87 that's proven to work & engineered well, check out RideTechs 'AirBar' set-up. If you're not interested in utilizing air suspension (which is a great thing to have on the rear of a lowered truck IMO) you could look into their line of coil-overs....

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1973-1...ar-system.html
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Blacksunshine87

I have seen that set up and i am leaning more towards it. It's just alOt of coin$$. Do you know anyone that uses the airbar set up?? Thanksfor your input btw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksunshine87 View Post
I have seen that set up and i am leaning more towards it. It's just alOt of coin$$. Do you know anyone that uses the airbar set up?? Thanksfor your input btw.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's more than other set-ups but is also something you can truly bolt-on w/common handtools in your driveway & has everything needed. RideTech is known for their quality products & frontline R&D efforts for improved handling.

Check out N2TRUX's 77 build. He had the rear air-over-leaf set-up & swapped to the rear AirBar.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
melks

Yea im going to agree with SCOTI, ride tech produces quality products...I dont have any experience with their equipment on square bodys, but i have been running their air bar along with other ride tech components on my s10 for almost 4 years now, they parts aint cheap but the results are well worth it.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Blacksunshine87

Yeah I'll have to agree. After seeing the install on N2TRUX's I'm sold. Thanks SCOTI for bringing that to my attention. And everyone else's opinions! Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Yeah I'll have to agree. After seeing the install on N2TRUX's I'm sold. Thanks SCOTI for bringing that to my attention. And everyone else's opinions! Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
There are a couple RideTech dealers on the board so reaching out to one of them might be a good thing should you need some installation support. If you opt to deal directly w/RideTech, check in w/Tony or Darren. I've dealt w/both of these guys more than once & they both are stand-up.

Be sure & ask specifics on the possibility of the coil-over swap if the bags aren't your cup o' tea. Let us know what you learn & post some pics of the build....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-16-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Blacksunshine87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
There are a couple RideTech dealers on the board so reaching out to one of them might be a good thing should you need some installation support. If you opt to deal directly w/RideTech, check in w/Tony or Darren. I've dealt w/both of these guys more than once & they both are stand-up.

Be sure & ask specifics on the possibility of the coil-over swap if the bags aren't your cup o' tea. Let us know what you learn & post some pics of the build....
How exactly do I go about finding a dealer on this board? If you don't mind me asking ? Thanks! I'm in Maryland so closer would prob be better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
How exactly do I go about finding a dealer on this board? If you don't mind me asking ? Thanks! I'm in Maryland so closer would prob be better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Look here for starters....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=210
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
stroker87

I've been thinking of this also for my 87 short box

I have a built engine in the truck hoping to run 12's in engine and 11's on nitrous would these 4 links with bags handle HP around 400 @ the wheels? would this help traction or hurt it?
stroker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
trixter99
I have no time for this

I wonder how big of a rear tire would fit with the brothers rear 4link.
Posted via Mobile Device
1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker87 View Post
I've been thinking of this also for my 87 short box

I have a built engine in the truck hoping to run 12's in engine and 11's on nitrous would these 4 links with bags handle HP around 400 @ the wheels? would this help traction or hurt it?
That's part of the beauty w/bags... adjustability. But, check w/your local track to ensure the air suspension is not an issue. If so, coil-overs offer the adjustability needed for track tuning.

As far as the bolt-on 4-bar, for a serious track junky, I'd do a specific drag style weld-on kit if I felt my power level was ever going to get close to the 500rwhp mark. A street/strip vehicle would be just fine.

As always, it's best to verify any concerns directly w/the manufacturer to be 100% sure.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG