The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
1beatnik

Headers

Whos runnin what any feed back on problems or things they ran into. Ones that you installed and it whent good or bad all feedback is needed. Thinking of Jegs or Patriot ceramic coated ones 1 5/8 to 3in collectors. Pics would be great too.
1beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
streetstar

Re: Headers

Mild big block with Hedman headers in my '75. cab is not insulated that well --- its borderline intolerable in the summer, and in the winter, i rarely need to turn on the heat ----
add some insulation to the cab if it is sparse , is what i'm getting at

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
1beatnik

Insulation all there and good, forgot to metion its a small block. Thanks for the responce though.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
wyattglock

I have a mild big block with Long tube Flowtech headers. Have had pretty good luck with them, still havent run the pipes out the back from the x-pipe. As stated above, dont need much heat in the winter. It sounds good, but when I get the rest of the pipes done it should mellow out a lot.
One thing I will probably do in the near future is put some of the braided steel flex connectors in line to help keep the drivers side tube from backing off.
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
ortega

Wyatt is your truck at regular hight or lowered? I just put some long tube headers on my 454 but its lowered and it looks like they might hit. I still have to get the pipes on there.
Posted via Mobile Device
ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortega View Post
Wyatt is your truck at regular hight or lowered? I just put some long tube headers on my 454 but its lowered and it looks like they might hit. I still have to get the pipes on there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ortega, it does look like the headers will hit when the truck is lowered. Mine is the stock height as of now. As for the pipes, I went over the trans crossmember. It took a lot more fabrication to get the pipes curved over the crossmember and not hit anything, but it is worth the cleaner look. I don't know of any long tube headers that would not drag the collectors on a lowered truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
1beatnik

You gotta be able to get some long tubes to fit, what else is everyone with lowered drivers running. Looked at some clipsters block huggers ect. and the price and fitment arnt there.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
wyattglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatnik View Post
You gotta be able to get some long tubes to fit, what else is everyone with lowered drivers running. Looked at some clipsters block huggers ect. and the price and fitment arnt there.
I suppose if your handy with a metal chop saw and a welder, you could get a header kit and make the primaries the length you need to clear the ground. That would also give you a straighter shot to clear the trans crossmember with your exhaust pipe. I am sure it wouldn't be a quick job, but it would look pretty cool when done right.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
1beatnik

Jegs and Summit both said long tubes will work if you have a inch under the frame to pavement I have about five between frame and ground. I just cant see the problem. Headers usually only hang a inch or two below the oil pan, that ends up where they said about a inch below the frame that gives me 4 or more inches with alot of other stuff gonna hit also.... i.e.... I have never bottomed out before and I dont have perfect roads either. She does rub front fenderwell to tire though till I removed the jack. Thanx
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
ortega

Here is a bad pic of my truck. I have about 4 inches from the floor to the header. My truck is prob a bit higher then the truck in your avatar 1beat.

Posted via Mobile Device
ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
1beatnik

ortega thanx could you tell me ground to frame?