The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
79 blue monster

cutting coils

i am planning on dropping my 2wd 3/4 ton truck, but dont know how many inch drop i can go with out anything rubbing. Im planning on putting 20" wheels on if that helps at all. Also, what is the ratio for cutting coils? pictures would help and if anyone has and thread on this forum that shows how they did it, it would be helpful too.
79 blue monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: cutting coils

cutting 1 (full) coil will get you about 2"-3" off the front. Kinda depends on how much the coil has been abused. Newer springs won't drop as much while older ones will give you more drop per coil. Cutting more than a coil will make you hit your bump-stops a lot quicker and they would need to be removed/modified to be smaller. Also if you cut to much you run the risk of the coil coming out in full extended position but I doubt you will be in ever be in full extension if you plan on lowering anyway.

Someone else should chime in with more info.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
79 blue monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
cutting 1 (full) coil will get you about 2"-3" off the front. Kinda depends on how much the coil has been abused. Newer springs won't drop as much while older ones will give you more drop per coil. Cutting more than a coil will make you hit your bump-stops a lot quicker and they would need to be removed/modified to be smaller. Also if you cut to much you run the risk of the coil coming out in full extended position but I doubt you will be in ever be in full extension if you plan on lowering anyway.

Someone else should chime in with more info.
thanks, i'll keep that in mind when i cut them.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The only thing THE "10" SILVERADO didn't factor in is that you mentioned your was a C20. The 3/4 ton spring is different from the 1/2 ton spring so that formula may be off. I know its more work, but I would cut a 1/2 coil first and see if it low enough. Be sure to let it settle before you cut it again.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
74 stepside

Also note that a big blocks weight will set it lower too when cut. I dont know if you are are big or small, but that matters too. Not sure if it would make a difference, but maybe swapping a 1/2 ton coil might give you a little bit of drop.
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
79 blue monster

My tuck is a big block, and its a c-25 camper special. Just some more info i forgot to list.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
79 blue monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 stepside View Post
Also note that a big blocks weight will set it lower too when cut. I dont know if you are are big or small, but that matters too. Not sure if it would make a difference, but maybe swapping a 1/2 ton coil might give you a little bit of drop.
I'll have to look for some info on that. That would probibly help my problem with the cut coil jumping out.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
74 stepside

BBC coils have a different spring rate than SBC coils. Ive seen others that swapped them to either gain lift or lower their stance. As far as ride quality, to each his own. As long as you have quality shocks, I think you will be fine.
74 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Telecasterjoey

Just cut my coils easy peasy! just go slow with the grinder so you don't heat em up too much, I took a coil and a half off and lowered my truck 2.25"
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote