The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
62 bigwindow

Question Would like to ask you guys for your opinion and advice.

I have a 62 shortbed fleet side in what I would consider good condition. I also have a 63 shortbed chassis. As you all know the 62 has the torsion bar front suspension. My question is.. should I keep the 62 chassis and install one of Porterbuilt dropmember on it or swap cab and bed to 63 chassis and install dropmember on it? Also I am not sure if the 62 cab is a direct bolt onto the 63 chassis. Just seems alot of parts are for 63-66 and the 60-62 is completely different suspension wise. Over the years I have built many custom motorcycles so this is my first C-10. I am sure I want to use Nate Porters parts just not sure what my best option is and dont want to wear Nate out by asking so many questions. And I know alot of you guys have built or are building some nice trucks and would respect any imput you may have.
62 bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
chop_shop

Re: Would like to ask you guys for your opinion and advice.

Nate will answer anything you ask him.

If it was me i would use the 63 chassis and swap the body over. Thats just me. I never liked the torsion bar setups myself. Some do. To each is own i guess.
chop_shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
smilts60

Arent the frames slightly different as well?
smilts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would use the '63 frame, as long as doing so doens't cause title or licensing issues in your area. I just don't like the '60-'62 frames with the torsion bars, and the big 'X' in the frame. It all is too restricting to me. There are a couple issues in switching tour '62 body to the '63 frame. First is the front cab mounts. The mounts on the '63 frame are narrower than on the '62. You basically just need to drill new holes for the front cab mount bolts. If you want to be detailed, you could move the 'dish' in the floor so the bolt head remains below the floor surface. The other issue is the mount locations on the bed cross sills. The '60-'62 frame is wider in the rear than the '63 frame, so the mounts won't line up. You could extend the mounts on the frame to match up with the bed, or replace or modify the cross sills to the '63-'66 components.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
62 bigwindow

I have asked Nate a few questions thru the forums already and he always takes time to answer. He seems to be a stand up guy with great knowledge, But I have SO many questions about what my best option would be I didnt want to "wear out my welcome" with him before I was ready to buy my first of many parts from him.
I just wasnt sure of the differences in the frames but seems my best choice is swap to the 63. Did I see Nate say that he offers cab mounts to do this swap?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #6
biohazardbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 bigwindow View Post
I have asked Nate a few questions thru the forums already and he always takes time to answer. He seems to be a stand up guy with great knowledge, But I have SO many questions about what my best option would be I didnt want to "wear out my welcome" with him before I was ready to buy my first of many parts from him.
I just wasnt sure of the differences in the frames but seems my best choice is swap to the 63. Did I see Nate say that he offers cab mounts to do this swap?
I wouldnt worry about too many questions to Nate. I bought a porterbuilt setup a while ago and finally got around to putting it in within the last month. Have run into a couple issues/questions here and there and he has always lent a calm ear to answer questions or address issues. I felt like you do about asking to much even apologizing everytime I ask him a new question, but he is always like "ask away".
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
csa daddy

yes nate is the man
csa daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
62 bigwindow

Thanks guys, still new here and new to the 60s C-10 and ready to start my 62/63 project. Learning about what works and what won't. Custom Harley baggers and the Suzuki Hayabusa I know, but the C-10 not so much. I have been reading you guys posts and viewing the pics and seem like a good group of guys willing to help each other. Look forward to posting pics as I move forward with this new build and again any help with my 62 bed and cab on 63 chassis I would be greatful and guess I will contact Nate with this long list of suspension questions I have....thanks Jamie ( N.C.)