The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
MP33

Air bag help needed

I just want to start off saying I'm a newbe to air ride technology. I have a 63 C-10 SWB. Right now I have a 79 chevy C-10 front crossmember with 2.5" drop spindles and 1/2 a coil cut off the springs. in the back the suspension is stock except for the 72 chevelle springs. I have decided to bag it and last weekend at a local swapmeet I picked up a new, never installed kit for a 95 s-10. now I realize the brackets for the bags won't work on my truck but I'm hoping the rest will. The kit is a Hotaire by Chassis Tech and contains the following.

(1) Thomas 1/3hp compressor pt#270025
(4) Firestone Airstroke Actuators
(1) 5 gallon air tank with 3 fittings in/out/drain
(1) gauge/switch panel with 2 dual needle gages and 4 rocker sitches
(4) Norgren K81EA00KV8KV82W1 air valves
(1) Norgren water trap
(1) roll of wire
(1) roll of 3/8" plastic tubing
(1) box of misc pushlock t's and elbows

I did not get any intructions so maybe you can tell me if I am missing anything? I also need the brackets for mounting the bags to the front a-arms and rear trailing arms. Another thing is I have no idea how to wire it up so if you could give me some advise on that it would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks......Mike
Attached Images

MP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
MP33

Re: Air bag help needed

more
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
MP33

few more
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
MP33

last ones
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
kpc01

Sorry I'm non help, but plan on doing the same thing in the near future so I'd love to follow a build thread when you go through with this! If I come up with any good info I'll post it up for you.
kpc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
losthope

im not gonna be much help either on the bags,but was curious about the 72 chevelle springs, ive never heard of them being used on the trucks? do they lower the rear? do they have the pig tails on both ends??

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Rich 5150 69

Had to search for it 63 & 64 bowties used chevelle springs....
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
erock805

Wow you got a handful of stuff there. judging by the pics you can do this project. with what you have. Keep researching on how to bag a car and such. Bunch of stuff on the hamb if you cant find it here. Read a bunch before you try it. The biggest issue I see, (for me) is your bags look a bit small for a full size truck. You can definately use them but it wont ride as well as a bigger bag. Less pressure = a better ride.

You can find plumbing diagrams on the internet to run your hoses, and wiring diagrams to wire it up. The hole thing is easy...just take your time.

Start with the start. Are you going to fab up your bag mounts or buy pre mades? I think airbaggit and suicide doors should have some things that will help you out. If you fab yours, make sure your bags are fully compressed when the truck is at its lowest point. You dont want to have to put a bunch of air into them before they start lifting. back to the less air = better ride thing. Bags should be bolted top and bottom on their mounting surface. Dont over tighten the bolts on the bag as that can give you issues...also dont use too long of bolts. The bag shouldnt twist or bind when it goes up and down. It cannot rub on anything at all, when it goes up and down...BAGS do break so do lines. Once your bags are in...you can start plumbing.

As far as plumbing goes. Several ways to plumb just keep in mind the air comes from the air tanks then back out. All your valves are, are on off switches. Closed they hold the air in behind them. Open them, they move the air where you want it to go. Less is more when it comes to elbows and Ts. Less likely to have leaks. Since you have push fittings, make sure you cutt your airlines stait and without kinks, or you will have leaks. I purchased the line cutting tool and it works great. A pressure switch is a good idea too. Keep all line away from sharp edges and objects. Make sure they stay away from heat. I actually Slide 1/2 fuel line over mine to protect them.

Wiring is simple and there on diagrams on wiring the switches out there. Looks like you have the wire to do it as well. I always ground my valves at the mount (cause my mounts are grounded) then run power and ground to the switches inside the cab. First time will be scary, but research and keep asking for help.

BTW...NEVER Put your self under a bagged truck without a jack stand...NOt even for a second...you never know when it will fail.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
MP33

Erock, thanks for the help. I'll have to do some searching.

Losthope, Chevelle springs look just like the stock truck springs just thinner.

Heres a pic of my truck.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
erock805

Dang, perfect truck to bag. gunna be awesome.