The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

As of today the Worlds Fastest Street Car is a Pickup!

If you didn't follow HotRod's Dragweek on the livestreams, you dun fukt up. The week long stream showed the drama of the dragweek event that unfolded between the events Big Dogs, Jeff Lutz and Larry Larson.

Due to the "uncorking" of unlimited class, the average ET's have plunged rapidly over the last couple years. Larson objected to that (despite being skilled, connected, and wealthy enough to benefit from it), saying it defeated the idea...but his words fell on deaf ears. So he did what any good enthusiast would do at that level...build an over-the-top drag truck, using every inch of the rulebook to the max, in an effort to give the ultimate "see what you did" to David Frieburger (hotrods editor and head of the event).

While Dragweek is always a survival event, making sub 9' second cars live on 1k miles of driving and 15-30 passes isn't an easy task. Larry lifted and cracked a head, resulting in a mad thrash to repair custom made $8k heads and get the truck to the line. He did so, but tripped the light early and dragging his average ET too far down, eventually costing him the E.T race to Lutz.

Despite this, Larson finished out the week running FULL OUT for the fans and himself, resulting in multiple passes knocking on Andy Frosts existing record (From the totally B.S. "british" drag week). Finally, on the last day of competition, Larson hooked NASTY...running a stupid-fast 6.16, while lifting early at the top end.

So that makes that little s10 the fastest street car (TRUCK!) in the world, in a truck that is capable of - and being tuned and fueled to - run 5 second passes...something that most racers didn't think was realistically possible in any definition of a street car...and going after a certain Swede we know..

We are left with a new record, and the knowledge that not only will a street truck be running in the 5's...but a street truck will be knocking on the door of a Pro-Mod for the title of all-out fastest truck in the universe...

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: As of today the Worlds Fastest Street Car is a Pickup!

Yup,, that's one BAD DAwg!!

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
cableguy0

Amazing what can be accomplished with cubic dollars.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
71Dragtruck

He kind of strayed from stance on the event, said he would never build a purpose built vehicle for the event, and trailers were for wusses, now he built the truck and is pulling a trailer.

I use to love that he stuck to that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WlTYwpZV8M
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ya but he did so specifically BECAUSE David Frieburger refused to make any addendum to the unlimited class, which in many years prior had certain restrictions to keep a hat on that all.

While I agreed with his original stance as well, its hard to be held to that standard while at the same time being asked why your not going as fast as the purpose built cars. His build was against his own "creedo" just to make a point...that if the unltd class is allowed to be how it is, it basically puts an end to any non-purpose-built car even coming close to competitive in the top classes. In his case, it would be physically impossible to be in contention with that class in a non $300k purpose built vehicle. No full steel stamped frame cars will even touch the low 6's or high 5's...which was his point.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
71Dragtruck

Yes I agree he had no choice to stay competitive, I just liked when he was winning and sticking with it. But yes as more people got into it he pretty much had two choices, bow out or go all out, I'd love to see him run a 5.99.

Lutz has that new 57 also, isn't it tagged for 5.99 and he wants to run 6.0's? Thought I saw something about that but?
Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote