The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2023, 02:42 PM   #1
bennylava

Re: What usually goes wrong with the cruise control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
That’s what mine was also. PO must have just disconnected it, but it was there, just not hooked up.
I think they just come loose on their own. I believe this may be the second time it's happened to me. Several years ago when I was tired of working on the truck, the cruise broke along with a few other things. I used to know a good mechanic who has since retired, and he didn't charge me to fix the cruise. Just the fees for the other stuff. He probably just hooked that back up.

But I noticed it didn't have the little... retainer ring or whatever it is that keeps it attached to the throttle. So I added a stout rubber one which seems to function well. Also, the gap in the hook (on the opposite end) is very wide. It could easily slip off if the other end lets go first. I put a piece of rubber on the end of the hook, so it can't fall off again. Otherwise it may fall off the engine going down the road, and be lost.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote