The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
thenewminator

Angry well so much for plans A,B and C

Im a fairly new member with just a few posts. not easy to get on here to update with work and life. Its been a bit since I posted anything or commented on others posts. Been even longer since I posted updated pics of my 84 short bed. The good news is I have made time here and there over the past few months to get busy on getting the body work "right". The bad news is that the more I get into it the more I find that the body has been beaten and the body work has been done all wrong over and over several times with several layers of paint in between. Back in may I decided to tackle the door jams. Starting with the right side I figured out right away that the rocker had a thick layer of filler over a very poor attempt to patch a rust hole. Then working my way up I started to uncover all the layers of paint. Once I got to the roof I found that it was covered with two layers of filler over top of and in between layers of paint. At that point I stopped,tiddied things up and laid down a coat of primer on the right side door jam and cab. The new plan was either a new cab or work with what I have-new rockers,cab corners,maybe a few patches on the firewall. The ultimate plan is to have a 3" chop and suicide doors, so after shopping around pricing a replacement cab i decided to stick with mine. It would be cheaper in the long run and I cant justify spending the money on a realy nice cab just to chop it up basicly. I even considered going chopped roadster if the filler is hidding a wavy roof. That was plan A.

Well after steppin away from the body work for a bit and getting more into another hobby-bmx bikes-I made a few new friends. Both younger guys,one into classic cars and the other into mud trucks,chevys of course. After hanging out a few times i made a trade with Austin,the truck guy,for some doors (i found rust in my left door and far too many dents in the right to deal with), a chrome bumper and mirrors,and a decent stock hood for my 'glass hood. With new determination to get going on the project again I got to work on the bed. The plan was to sand out some scratches in the paint and level out a thin chuck of filler that came off on the right side tailgate opening. The filler being there was expected seeing that the tail lights have been filled. What wasnt expected is that as I sanded I found that the area where the tail light has been filled was a very thick layer of filler covering a poorly home made two piece light filler with very bad,very poorly finished welds. In the middle of discovering more bad body work my wife decided that it ww really should try to move to a smaller cheaper rental,likely an apt. So I put my van up for sale. The idea was sell the van and drive the truck daily and work on it when I can, so again I stopped the body work. Weeks go by with no interest in the van and with pressure from my wife to find the money somewhere I decided to put the truck up for sale too. The deal is i love the truck and would rather keep it as a driver and work on it here and there but without the van selling i need to do something so if i have to let the truck go so be it. That was plan B.

As a few more weeks went by with no luck selling either i thought it mite be a good idea to tackle the body work on the bed again. This time the idea was strip the paint and lyer of filler from the tail light area on the right side. I have fully disclosed the body work issues in my cl posting and figured that if i kept going with at least prepping the bed for new body work/paint it would be a pos for a potential buyer. All the while i have kept my fingers crossed that the truck wont sell,of course,and have mentioned to my wife that with its issues i will have to sell it for much less than i paid for it. She is ok with that and is also ok with the fact that it may not sell and that i dont want to sell it. With that in mind i spent all last week stripping the thick layers of paint and body filler from the right side. My thought is if it doesnt sell but we do move to a place that i cant work on it i need to get as much done as pos,asap, while i have a place to do the work. Strip the bed and deal with the issues around the tail light later,the rest of the bed is fine other than a thin layer of filler and several layers of paint. That was plan C.....or so i thought....

.....it took me a total of 18hrs to chisel away and strip away with a drill and 36 grit dics at least 6mm up to 10mm of filler and paint. And still not completely done. What did i uncover you ask? Close to 100 small pinging hammer dings,1 orange sized dent poorly hammered out down at the bottom of the wheel well,and more waves than the red sea between the wheel well and front of the bed side. Pardon my french, but this thing is F#@!ING REDICULOUS!!!! I am so pissed and disapointed. Not so much that i got ripped off when this guy sold me a beat up bucket of bondo....but that someone or several persons with enough skill to shape the filler so well that you couldnt even tellit was there...didnt have the sense to strip the repair area down to the metal with each repair. Its like the same guy went over this thing a dozen times trying to get it better or that each new owner would do the same. Go over what the last guy did to get it better but not doing it right. Strip it down and start over. To look at it anyone the any body work exp would see that the metal could be worked straighter then put a skim coat of filler on,maybe two,no more than 2mm. But thats without the issues around the light area which is also dented along with the bad welds. A guy with money would just replace the bed sides. A guy with exp but not much money would spend the hours doing the sheet metal work to make it straight. A lazy,clueless guy (i.e. all of the prev owners) would slap some fresh filler on it and hope it turns out ok,but not really give a crap if it goes. A guy with brains would walk away and say to hell with this thing im gonna dump it on somone else and move on.

I am none of those guys. I dont have the money to replace the bed sides. i have limited exp with sheet metal work and am up for the challenge. But i dont have the tools nore the money for them,nore do i have that kind of time on my hands to spend hours pounding away a sheet metal. I def am not lazy or clueless. I take pride in putting 110% into everything i do with all of my vehicles. Even if its just my labor with no cash to work with,i make the best of what i have to work with and do things rite. And brains...? you have prob figured out by now i dont have much of those either....

....so whats plan D? Strip every inch (except the new to me hood and tailgate i got from trading here and there)down to the bare metal and let the flaws fly rat style. It will make a fine example of how NOT to do body work and an interesting convo piece at shows. Oh yes i will still cruise it and hit shows. The body as a whole might screwed but i still have all of the other plans for it. However my hopes and dreams of the truck being a super slick street rod style show truck are no more. It just needs way more time, money and work to ever be that. Realisticly it would take replacing every panel other than the shell of the cab and the bed floor to be "right". Did i mention the fenders are f!#@ed too? And the other way i see it is this.....less time, and esp less money,i put into the body...the more money i can put into the engine sooner. CAN YOU SAY BLOWER!?!?
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
thenewminator

Re: well so much for plans A,B and C

some quick notes about the pics----the 2nd pic down is a top view of the top center of the wheel well. thats how thick the filler and paint is on 90% of the outer shell of the whole body. the 3rd pic isnt the door or tailgate jam----that is a canyon i cut thru the filler down to the metal so that i had a sharp edge for a hammer and chisel
Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
andrewmp6

If it makes you feel better i have seen a friends 68 mustang had 7 layers of paint on it.On old cars and trucks sometimes you run in to stuff like this.Most good body shops won't paint over 2 layers,But the cheapo places don't care they just scuff and spray anything.But now the truck is getting the love it needs to be right again so keep at it can't get any worse once you hit the deep end.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Jabes1

Tools can be traded for or you could barter for work if you have to. BASIC tools for body work: hammer, dolly, longboard for sanding, sanding blocks of various lengths and firmness. Various grits of sandpaper and a good book. Seriously a good book. Google only goes so far. You don't need pneumatic tools, although it makes it a heck of a lot faster and easier. You don't need a fancy welder to do basic patch panels either. A simple 110 flux welder is perfect for them and can get you by. I have a 110v flux and mig at my disposal, nice compressor, pneumatics and such, but I learned all by hand. I learned by reading and messing up. Nothing becomes perfect without learning from mistakes. Sometimes you have to get creative with finances including builds. My truck has come a long way. Money is like women... it comes and goes. I've spent quite a bit on it and it should be a lot nicer than it is, but what I've learned is priceless. Not everybody here is a pocket hotrodder that pays to have someone do the work. There are a lot of knowledgable DIY's on here. Click on various builds, threads and such.... I've been into this scene since I was 16 and I still learn a thing or two from these boards. Keep on trucking. Noah didn't build his ark in a day and no smooth seas ever made a good sailor!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
DREAMER1

X2 what he just said
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
thenewminator

thanks for the advice guys. if it were a matter of too many layers of paint i could prob live with that but this thing is layers of paint & bondo covering horrible sheet metal work & really bad welds. i have a pic update. so far the top,rite side of the cab & bed & most of the pass door are stripped. its been really slow goin without a compressor & proper sander. i had a 4" grinder with a wire cup for a bit that was cutting thru to the metal really nicely without leaving sand scrathes. but the gears in the head of it stripped out. work is at a stand still till i can get a more proper stripping set up and a heater for the garage. the bigger issue is the time & $ its going to take to get it rite & wether or not the truck is worth it. i hate to think of my current truck as a $2500 parts truck but i am seriously considering finding another 1/2 ton in much better shape,hopefully a roller or non runner, and swapping my aftermarket parts and engine/trans. i spent most of saturday cruising cl and found a few good candidates for under $1500. i also found a nice bed,fenders, & tailgate for under $1K total so swappin out the bolt on parts wouldnt hurt too much. but on the other hand i think that the truck stripped down to the bare metal exposing the crap sheet metal work would make a great rolling testament to what kind of hacks are out there. and it would make good conversation piece at shows. somethin else i thought about is how i like the patina'd/rat look and the idea of 0 paint maint is quite appealling. as you can see in the pics i shot the other day im off to a great start if i want to go with the rat rod look. after i got the bed side and top done i had to start drivin the truck daily cuz my son in law has been borrowing my van. i have also been thinkin about how much i have always wanted to fully customize one of these trucks once i had one (i.e. chop,suicide doors,custom front end & bed) this truck would be perfect for such a project considering the fact that i wouldnt be cutting up perfectly good sheet metal.

btw the 4th pic down is the pass side cab corner rite after i started to strip it. under the filler & paint was a huge chunk of that spay can crack filler crap that you would normally use in ur basement.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
thenewminator

a few more pics of the bed. there was a home made tail light filler with not great welds hiding under a thick layer of filler on the rr corner
Attached Images

thenewminator is offline   Reply With Quote