The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
hootlube

Newbie needing a little help

Hi guys and gals,
I joined because I need help with my Eaton 052. I'll try to make a long story short...
Resurrected this truck (71 C20) from the pasture. Had to put a motor in it, the list goes on, right? So last year, I decided before hauling firewood it needed brakes. Seemed so simple... so, I started taking the rear drums off.
Days later, many tools and parts purchased, I got it back together. Headed to the woods, burned the outer bearings on the passenger side.
I've since been looking at many of your posts, and they've been incredibly informative. Thank you! I think I've learned some of the things I did wrong... I guess we'll find out when it goes back together. The housing is at the machine shop, should come back in a couple of days. I've rounded up all parts except:
Name:  bearings.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  76.3 KB
(I think I did that right) there's a retainer clip, and two bearing nuts and a lockwasher that got trashed. Does anyone know where I could find these? Any help TRULY appreciated. Thanks, hootlube@yahoo.com
hootlube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
rlm316

Re: Newbie needing a little help

I just finished rebuilding my HO52. I was able to find everything that I needed thru the local independent parts house. They have a decent repor with the largest area GM dealer. If you still can't come up with new you could look for used. There has to be a few 3/4t trucks layed up in your area. How did you burn yours up?
rlm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
hootlube

Still not sure; think I didn't torque enough to seat the race against the retaining clip. Bearings may have scrubbed the hub, only made it about ten miles... lucky it only happened on one side, maybe?
So, guess I'm looking for someone with parts sitting in a drawer, or something... I've called all the parts houses locally, including the big city dealerships. No one has stepped up (or maybe they don't feel like expending the effort on something so picayune?).
Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

I have a 1946-1972 parts book in front of me, I'll see what I can find.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
BACKYARD88

Here's what I was able to find. Looks like you need...
2- #3663657 nuts 32 & 34 in illustration
1- #3663659 washer 33 in illustration
1- #3663658 washer 35 in illustration
This is a screenshot for a 73 rear (that's as far back as my computer goes) but the part numbers show to be the same as the 72 according to my book. You might be able to get your local auto parts store to cross the numbers if you don't want to go with GM. If you want me to get you some GM prices let me know. Hope this helps

Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
72swbcamo

I had trouble with my rear end bearings. I had to replace the inner bearing when I had the drums turned. Put a new inner bearing in and put it back toghter. Within 15-20 miles the outer bearing was distroyed. When I brought the hub back to the machine shop to have the outer bearing replaced the shop guy found out that the new bearings are a conical roller bearing and the old style bearings are a barrel shaped roller and you can't mix the two otherwise you can't get the proper preload when you tighten the bearing adjusting nuts. If you didn't replace the hub bearings as a set the this may be by you your bearing got distroyed.
72swbcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
hootlube

Hey, great illustration, backyard. That'll probably help.
I browsed around the classified for awhile, found Wornbrakes had advertised H052 parts; got with him, he's going to sell me hub and guts for $25.
Thanks, guys, for all the help. I sure appreciate it! I'm finding that I can spend hours on this site... it's cool.
Steve
Old 04-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
hootlube

72swbcamo: You're right, the first bearings I got from the parts store may have been a hodgepodge, the set I'm getting ready to fit in came from Timken (full sets, both sides, bearings and races). I don't ever want to have to do this again!
I went to the owner of the machine shop's house last night, got his '93 Caddy running in exchange for the work on my housing. The problem?... loose battery cables
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
BACKYARD88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hootlube View Post
The problem?... loose battery cables
I love those kind of jobs. Good kuck getting her back together!

Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
Americanrider

I learned the HARD WAY about Full float axle bearings same as you. Only mine lasted 5 miles. I burned one up from lack of lube after spending $65 on a new set of Timkems.

Helpful HINT:
Pre-pack both inner & outer bearings with a bit of axle grease. After you get it back together re-fill the diff with fresh 80-90wt gear oil and then jack up one side of the axle high and let it sit for 15 minutes, this will get some gear oil down to the bearings. If it cold outside let it sit longer.... 80-90wt flows like honey. I brought a jug inside and let it warm up for a couple days before doing this.

Re-fill diff again (it will only take a little) and then jack up the opposite side and let it sit to run the oil down to the other bearings. Take it for a test ride and stop after 4-5 miles and check the hubs for heat, check again after another 10 miles, they should be cool if everything is working right.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
hootlube

Thanks! I hadn't thought of presoaking the bearings with a jack. I'll do it. Makes perfect sense, thanks again for the hint.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

Please post back after and let us know how the new stuff worked?
Good luck!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
hootlube

My friend at the machine shop is dragging it out a little. But let's face it; if it was easy, it wouldn't be mine. The blown outer bearing had actually crimped the housing enough to make the axle hard to remove. He's having to grind the bearing from the housing, build it back up with weld, drill it, then turn it back down and cut new threads. So he says Monday. I have the new drums ready to go, backplates are being cleaned up this weekend, waiting on the new hub and guts from Wornbrakes88. On a lighter note... my preacher called and asked me to start a program to take donated cars and fix 'em up to give to single parents in the area. Cool. You guys have a great weekend, keep the projects going! -Hootie
Old 04-14-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
lbpd719
Zappaphile!

I would just like to say thanks for posting all of the problems, and solutions in this thread. I was considering taking my rear drums off today to inspect my brakes.

Don't think I will be doing that until I get a decent manual and a few other things just to be safe (or maybe just take it to a shop to avoid the possibility of a machine shop trip).

Hopefully it will all go well.. Anyone know of a good place to get a manual with those exploded views of that rear?
lbpd719 is offline   Reply With Quote