The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
ThumperWS6

PA Title Ideas for Frame Swap

I've read through a few of the threads on here.

I bought a 71 GMC K2500 that has some rust issues in the rear part of the frame. I happen to have also bought a 99 GMC K2500 Suburban about a year ago to use the suspension parts for a different project that didn't pan out. Instead of repairing the rust on the 71 I was thinking of swapping the frame.

So I was one concerned about the success of this project and two the legalities. I have searched through PA's online code,

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/067toc.html

But I haven't been able to find any mentioning of the frame besides safety aspects and the typical bumper heights issues. I do intend to keep the truck as a regular cab flat bed so issues of the rear bed aren't my problem. This suburban was also a 454 equipped model which I have the 454 and the 4L80 to drop in with the frame. So my chief concern is aligning it all up and legally documenting the process.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
oldschool18

Re: PA Title Ideas for Frame Swap

I would check with whoever does your inspections and if he doesnt have a problem with it I would do it......going thru penndot is a joke and they will fight you every step of the way. They would prob make you take lots of pics get it inspected and get a reconstruted title and who knows what else. The ladie who is in charge is a retard and she only got the job cause she was the secretary of the former guy who ran the department who was one of the nicest guys you could talk to....R.I.P. Mike Zamboni......good luck Thumper.....

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
ThumperWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool18 View Post
I would check with whoever does your inspections and if he doesnt have a problem with it I would do it......going thru penndot is a joke and they will fight you every step of the way. They would prob make you take lots of pics get it inspected and get a reconstruted title and who knows what else. The ladie who is in charge is a retard and she only got the job cause she was the secretary of the former guy who ran the department who was one of the nicest guys you could talk to....R.I.P. Mike Zamboni......good luck Thumper.....
Thanks, and yea I have my own issues with PennDOT when I moved up here from Texas. I live in a county that doesn't require emissions and I also am friends with my title guy and the inspector. I don't think he will care. He will probably say, "Damn, that's cool"
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
oldschool18

My father has a garage and a inspection station and we had a guy bring in a early 60ish chevy truck and it was on a s-10 frame and my dad had no problem passing it cause it was done right.....The emissions you wouldnt have to worry about anyway cause its pre 75. And I wouldnt even change the title, if you go to sell it down the road tell the buyer what you did and be up front about it and if he has a problem with it then you can change it. I called Mr. Zamboni years ago about a truck I was building and was telling him what I wanted to do to see if it was going to be legal and he told me " that sounds like it is going to be an cool truck but you live in the wrong state" then he went on to say to find some friends or relatives that live in anouther state and register it thru there address cause PA has very strict laws......PA stupid commonwealth

62 Impala
70 C-10 LWB
71 K-10 SWB
85 C-10 LWB==SOLD
01 2500 HD

Members Met......2003Silverado (Dave)
oldschool18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
ThumperWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool18 View Post
My father has a garage and a inspection station and we had a guy bring in a early 60ish chevy truck and it was on a s-10 frame and my dad had no problem passing it cause it was done right.....The emissions you wouldnt have to worry about anyway cause its pre 75. And I wouldnt even change the title, if you go to sell it down the road tell the buyer what you did and be up front about it and if he has a problem with it then you can change it. I called Mr. Zamboni years ago about a truck I was building and was telling him what I wanted to do to see if it was going to be legal and he told me " that sounds like it is going to be an cool truck but you live in the wrong state" then he went on to say to find some friends or relatives that live in anouther state and register it thru there address cause PA has very strict laws......PA stupid commonwealth

Cool, all I want to be able to do is haul stuff and tow my trailer with my transom on it.
Maybe take it mudding every once in a while.
Posted via Mobile Device