The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
danheit

Search not working, trying to find frame swap info...

Hey guys, I've tried several times to search this but keep getting the memory allocation warning. Can anyone point me in the direction of a frame swap thread? Trying to see how involved it will really be. I have a long bed and am wanting to go short bed. I normally wouldn't care, but my actual bed is in rougher shape than I would like (dents in bed sides and rust in the floor and supports). I can get a shortbed frame pretty easily for free, but I am not sure if it makes any difference what year it's from (67-69 vs my 71), and it will also make it easier going to a 700R4 and a one piece driveshaft. I know it will be lots of work, but I'm really wanting to see how involved it is, and see what else I'm not thinking of as far as cost and parts go. I know I will be doing all new brake lines, probably new fuel lines, will need a bed, and some other minor stuff. My long bed is 100% complete though, so I shouldn't have too many problems. Of the few frames I have to choose from, they are pretty complete. The only thing I can come up with that will be different in the frames is the indention for the power steering box.
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: Search not working, trying to find frame swap info...

It's pretty easy if your willing to do the work. I bought a good frame and put my cab and clip and got a new bed and built a truck from the bare frame up.
Lots of build threads in here ...just got to get up and bust your arse every day you can till you can drive it out of the shop. Did I mention the money?
Posted via Mobile Device
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
danheit

Yeah, the $$ is kind of what I'm worrying about. My head tells me it will be at a bit of a cost, but for the life of me, I can't think of where that cost will be, other than sourcing a bed. I have all of the other body parts, I have a good setup now, and I can get a hold of a free rolling chassis. SEEMS like it should be a fairly straight forward swap, just prep the frame first, replace all the brake lines and brake hard parts, run new fuel line, drop in my motor and trans, new body mount rubber, drop my cab on, run the wiring, add the front clip and voila--theoretically a fairly easy swap.
Realistically I know it won't be that easy, but what am I missing? I have a driveshaft from my 90 shortbed GMC that the 700R4 came out of, so that shouldn't be much of an issue, I have exhaust for a short bed, I'm already power disc brakes and power steering on my truck so that should all swap over pretty easily..... what's missing?

My only other thought is to take my time prepping the short frame and go with a bag setup, but then I will lose my towing ability.....
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #4
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Sounds like you got it figured out. Do as much as work on it as you can yourself and be wise with what you farm out. That's how to keep the cost down.
Good luck, we'll help if we can.
Posted via Mobile Device
Edit: the cost will be in the bed. Figure 1.5k for a good short fleet bed +/_ a gate
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394

Last edited by RenoKeene; 03-31-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

I also recommend a static drop, you can drive it deeper in to the turn under throttle.
Just my .02$ . Don't forget the sway bar.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Last edited by RenoKeene; 03-31-2013 at 09:43 AM.