The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Freshbrew

Air Filter questions

I have a 1985 Chevy C10 with the 305 engine. I recently replaced the carb and air filter housing with Edelbrock stuff. I noticed that the original air filter housing had a metal tubing, which is similar to the ducting that goes from the back of a dryer, that ran from the air filter housing extension down to the passenger side header (I think that's what it is). Well, my engine is on the downward slide and is burning oil and the Edelbrock air filter housing doesn't have a place to attach this metallic pipe and it is spewing the burnt oil smell into the engine compartment, which is then sent into the cab of the truck. I guess my question is can the hose be removed and the opening closed off? I am a shade tree mechanic and am not sure I am explaining this correctly, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I need to address the engine burning oil issue.
Freshbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Air Filter questions

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370829
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Freshbrew

nbpro, I saw this post, but the oil breather is not the part I'm talking about. I'll try to take a picture tonight and post it. It'll probably make more sense that way. Thanks though.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
ont_guy_38

That has nothing to do with removing the oil smell . That sucks warm air from the manifold when it,s cold . Did you hook up the hose that goes from the breather to the valve cover...if not then what you are smelling is the blowby that the engine is producing ...without that hose it's not being sucked back into the engine
ont_guy_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Chionos GMs

Is this what you are talking about Fresbrew??
Name:  Photo-0110.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  52.2 KB

1995 Ext. cab 350 4wd dd 260,*** miles
1986 1/2 ton swb 305 2wd (melted bearings) SOLD!!
1982 3/4 lwb 6.2 diesel 2wd
1962 Chevy 283 4 speed long step 2wd 2 OWNER GONE!!

Last edited by Chionos GMs; 08-11-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Chionos GMs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Freshbrew

Yes Sir that's exactly what I am talking about. What is that, what does it do. And is there a way to block off the opening? Thank you very much. Also what does white smoke coming out of that hose mean for the engine? Nothing good I am sure
Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Chionos GMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont_guy_38 View Post
. That sucks warm air from the manifold when it,s cold .
This right here is the hose function^^^ You dont need to block it off all I think it is a heat shield there is no hole into the manifold. At least thats how it is on my truck. If it can be oil goin down the hose and touching the hot manifold. It sounds like you have some serious problems if there is oil coming out of the carburetor.

Also like the other guy said is the oil breather coming out of the valve cover hooked to anything? That could be the source of the smell

1995 Ext. cab 350 4wd dd 260,*** miles
1986 1/2 ton swb 305 2wd (melted bearings) SOLD!!
1982 3/4 lwb 6.2 diesel 2wd
1962 Chevy 283 4 speed long step 2wd 2 OWNER GONE!!

Last edited by Chionos GMs; 08-11-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Chionos GMs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Freshbrew

No oil out of the carb, just white smoke coming out of the hose off the manifold. Like I said the engine is on it's last leg, but I'm gonna run it until it dies then put a reman 350 in it. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
ont_guy_38

Must have a leaking valve cover gasket and it,s running down on the manifold
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
engineco713

It is a pre-heater for the air breather. It heats the air before it gets to the carb. I took mine off when I put my Holley on with a new air breather and my truck runs fine and doesn't smoke. If you look closer that hose doesn't actually connect to the header, just to the heatshield. The other hose that goes to your valve cover from the old breather can be replaced with a push-in breather that you can get at any auto parts store, just make sure it is the right size. Now-a-days everybody wants a cold air intake anyway and you can actually increase your horsepower by having cooler air. I took all my SMOG equipment off as I was told, "Use it all, or trash it all". I was told having half the SMOG stuff and not all of it will cause your engine to run like crap. I'm not too much of a mechanic but I don't think that hose is your problem.
engineco713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshbrew View Post
No oil out of the carb, just white smoke coming out of the hose off the manifold. Like I said the engine is on it's last leg, but I'm gonna run it until it dies then put a reman 350 in it. Thanks for the help guys.
I have a 1965 3/4 ton truck that has well over 555,000 miles on I had low compression then i used a can of this restore and my engine as come back to life its like a engine in a CAN

trust me ADD this too your OIL In your next Oil change DRIVE ABOUT 500 MILES AND YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE IN HOW YOUR TRUCK RUNS IT COST 16.00 IT COMES IN THE CAN YOU SEE HERE mAKE SURE YOU SHAKE THE CAN UP REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD AND IF YOU DON'T GET IT ALL OUT PUT SOME OF YOUR NEW OIL IN THE CAN AND SHAKE IT UP AND GET IT ALL OUT

TRUST ME YOU WILL SEE A DIFFERENCE I SAW A DIFFERENCE IN 100 MILES IT WILL STOP THE HARD STARTS IN THE MORNING YOU SEE A PUFF OF SMOKE IT WILL STOP THAT AND GIVE YOU more horse POWER
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

are you sure it not coming from the valve cover hole? the metal shroud on the manifold should be wrapped around it and removable,might it just be dirt ,old grease burning,if you turn the stock air houseing over you will see parts that can be removed ,i thinks it's a pin going threw the snorkle would start it coming apart,but plug the air line that controls this ............even if not using the stock breather...........need pics
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #13
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ont_guy_38 View Post
Must have a leaking valve cover gasket and it,s running down on the manifold

x2
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
Freshbrew

Thanks for the input guys. I am pretty sure I have leaking valve cover gaskets, along with a bunch of other crap. That hose is definitely the warm air intake off the manifold. I'll replace the valve cover gaskets and remove that hose. I bought the breather for the line to the valve cover and replaced that. I appreciate everyone's help. I'm sure the engine doesn't have much longer anyway, when I checked the oil the other day I found metal shavings in it. I'll just keep changing the oil and filter and run the bastard till the engine quits and replace the old 305 with a 350. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
ont_guy_38

When ya want it to quit you'll be driving for another 10 years