The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
ItsRandy

Aftermarket parts that don't fit/work right...

I am sure I'm not the only one this is happening to. Why do we put up with it? I'm not going to name names but here are a few things I purchased that there were problems with and the supplier treated me like I just don't know what I am doing:

Complete wiring harness - Not really complete
One piece window kit - Doesn't install/fit as advertised
Aluminium radiator with electric fans - After installation; "Those fans won't cut it with A/C"
Gauge package - Inaccurate temp reading; "You can't install the sending unit in the head", their instructions suggest installation in the head
Sheet metal - just like OEM...Not!
Stainless steel brake lines - "Bent like original equipment"...Not!
Assemblies come incomplete (i.e. no bolts, brackets etc.)

Sorry about the rant, I'm just tired of spending hard earned money and getting parts that have been misrepresented by the suppliers. What about you guys/girls, tell us about your experiences with parts you have purchased.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Re: Aftermarket parts that don't fit/work right...

Brother... (sigh) This issue has ground my build to a halt. Actually, I spent this evening building custom radiator saddles for my "factory fit" radiator. I too bought "pre-bent" brake lines that did not fit. And the hits just keep on coming! I guess the lesson I've learned is that nothing is factory fit and I should plan to modify everything. Seems like the majority of builds use the same setups with minimal variation so the aftermarket could team up and build parts that integrate well... pipe dream I guess.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #3
schurg

this is definitely an issue. from what I've learned, dont expect too much when you order, in fact, expect the worst possible outcome..and you might be pleasantly surprised to find the parts 'just' dont fit I have this theory that maybe the 67-72 trucks just arent old enough for people to give a damn about replacement parts? could they still be in that age where they are still being used as 'trucks' and are slowly becoming a 'collectors vehicle' ?
just a theory, I'm not sure how the parts are for the older trucks. I've said it before, it's 2012, shouldnt we be able to get parts for a 40+ year old vehicle that are dead nuts perfect? I know the trucks were never built to an exacting tolerence, but atleast when they made parts they fit, we should be able to do so today as well. I could go on for hours, sorry lmao
schurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #4
PHAT TONY

I'm a restoration guy (for a living), it don't matter if it's a Mustang, Hemi Dodge or C/10; aftermarket parts in the restoration industry generally suck, some more than others. Companies can't make as much profit if they spend too much on production = crappy parts, quite often non refundable crappy parts.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
sharpmark

i understand what you guys are saying and sympathise but at least you can buy repo parts reasonably easily and quickly or visit your closest wrecking yard and pick up parts.
over here there is none being wrecked unless you get very lucky and while parts out of the usa are easily ordered and paid for delivery quickly is extremely expensive as is any large parts and there is no chance of return or swap if you order wrong.
we tend to make our own or adapt something and on my truck
i've built up the shafts in the interior door opening mechanism's rather then replace.
glued washers together and used a ground down bolt to replace the worn out plastic rollers in both window winder mechanisms.
made my own fuel tank and filler tube and used a jap car filler door
made the brackets that hold the alternator and powersteering pump to the motor
extended the fan shroud to make it work better
made a little bush to go on a rivit to replace those 2 oddshaped little hinge rivits on the vent sde windows
made my own tow hitch
cut the front coils 1 coil to lower it
for us its just part and parcel of living the dream of owning and driving old american vehicles.
1934 oldsmobile sedan-350/350/12 bolt posi
1930 model a pickup-350/350/jag ind
1928 model a roadster-283/350/9"
sharpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
rob32472

I do agree with the fact that if you buy a "kit" it should have the bugs worked out of it and ALL hardware included. Most companies will release products and sort of let the market do the fine tuning of it and then release better versions based on feed back from consumers. The consumer pays full price does the engineering to make it better then the companies raise the price and all the while the consumer gets nothing for his hard work except alot of cussing and headed scratching to make an Incomplete "kit" work. Capitalism at its best I suppose.
rob32472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I've used a BB vendor for years.I have had a few of the problems you describe but every time I was told when I purchased.If there's nothing better out there than there's nothing better out there.The venddors here on the board tend to build trucks so they know what works and what needs work.Most will tell you from experience but after 40+ years,there's no way of telling what's been changed even on an "Unmolested" truck.Another thing I notice about the aftermarket parts is that many complain of the fit and many are expecting the same fit as they get with late model parts.It just ain't so.These trucks never had that fit and finish new so it's gonna tke some work to get them to fit now especially if you want that kind of fit.Overcoming these things is the hobby.If it weren't anyone could build a b!+ching truck with hand tools in their driveway next weekend.
In short "Quit'yer whining!"
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

I hear you PD, but sometimes the frustration due to over zealous advertisement needs a pathway out of our hearts and minds. One thing I believe to true is, if you are going highlight an issue you try to offer a solution. The solution I offer to lean on the experience of this board! There are many experienced enthusiasts and pro builders here and I know that I ask about the quality of a planned purchase my fellow board members won't let me down!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
chapster

Hey ItsRandy I totally understand and feel your frustration.

I have experienced missing parts, wrong dimensions, drawings not followed, damaged parts, poor fitment, haven to prove butchered workmanship through pictures, been promised fixes etc, etc, etc. (even from some forum vendors).

All is I can tell you is that the good companies out there will try and fix the problems right away if possible and the others will hopefully struggle due to there own stupidity.

My advice to you is to monitor other peoples experiences with the company before purchasing and try not to let something we can't control get to you.

My advice to companies:If you focus on your own quality of parts, proper kitting, proper instructions and walking the walk after you talk the talk we would not have this conversation.

Happy building.......
1967 GMC shorty Parts Pile: NoLimit, Accu Air, Kore 3, Matts Classic Bowtie, March Performance, Lokar, ScottsHot Rods, Vintage Air, American Auto Wire, Circle D, Accu Air, Borla, Budnik, Ididit, One Piece Windows, Doug Thorley, Pypes, AutoLoc, Porterbuilt, CPP, Dynamat, Dakota Digital, Fesler

1968 Chevy c10 shorty Stepper (Patina LS project)
1967 gmc custom Long Box (Farm Truck Project)
chapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

I was going to stay mute on this one (for a change), but schurg hit on something.

My first thought was: "If you have a basic 67-72 C10/C20 with a 350 and th350 trans"..."Hummm, why shouldn't it be easy to make everything fit as well as the factory did?"

Well, for one thing, the factory fit wasn't always perfect. Neither is life.

It seems like the only time I get really pissed is when I've worked with the original stuff, broken it, or it's all worn out to start with...Then I try to put chunks together to make
"something work". Finally, I step back and say, "That's not good enough." "I'm going to get a new one from Company X"..."They say it fits". "No more screwing with this for a week at a time."

Then, after $pending the dough and waiting for the UPS guy, I go to put it in and it's been set up by someone who never even smelled a 67-72 Chevy truck.

I, too, have cut frames for headers that were a "sure fit", ground on new repro parts until they, too, are unuseable; bent tabs into pretzels in order to make sheet metal work...etc., etc., etc.
What a drag to take back a brand-new fuel pump that doesn't pump. And, the "taking it back" usually means two hours have already passed in testing everything else for fu's, 'cause, "the fuel pump's brand new!"

On the custom stuff, going in having a healthy disregard for what the folks write in the advertising that is designed to separate me from my hard-earned bucks, I'm usually philosophical about the lies and omissions in the ads.
If I get boned harshly, I'm one of the first to say, "Don't buy this XYZ from Company X".

Instructions? HA!!!!! My electric window set up is top drawer. But the instructions? Fogettaboutit! Instead of "Do This" and then, "Do This next" they should have said, "Don't Do This" and,
"Make Sure you Don't do this next". And that hardware is really, really good. The boss' niece must'a written the instructions from her bassinette.

Then again, you find folks that are actually truck builders that sell fine, accurately fitting parts. They care.... and I stick with them. They usually have higher prices for good reason.

Bottom line, "Custom" means "Custom". So, even if I don't want to, I figure I'm going to have to give almost every "new" part my own little "twist".
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Gobbles

I bought a rocker that was "factory equivalent". It didnt match either pillar or the inner rocker. Fun fun!

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
...In short "Quit'yer whining!"
Not whining...I just think if something is being sold as direct fit, bolt in, just as OEM, engineered for your vehicle, direct replacement or any other description that suggests no modification required, then it should fit with no modification required. If modification is/may be required that information should be included in the sales information. Is that too much to ask?
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
...snip... Is that too much to ask?
Definitely not. But I suspect those that deliver crap have short-term business lives. That's why we need to tell each other of unresolved problems with suppliers. I'm with ya, Randy. Just like these guys are hangin' together:
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
asolde

Hood to cowl seal from LMC that don't fit.
Attached Images

asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
67_C20Pres

In my search for hood hinges, I have come to realize that driver side OEM GM hinges are not available anymore although you still can get passenger side OEMs. Because of this, I have decided that I don’t want to have an original GM hinge with an aftermarket one and chose to buy aftermarket for both sides.

I live in Las Vegas and was doing a job in Henderson last month so I stopped by Tuckers on my way home one day and bought a pair of hinges from them. When I got them home, my neighbor buddy and I started on the driver’s side first. We pulled the original hinge and started installing the new Aftermarket “Counterpart” hinge. After bolting it up we started trying to align the hood. What a nightmare that was and after about a half hour of messing with it, using all the alignment tricks that I have read here on this forum, I pulled the hinge off to look at it and compare it with the original.

Bolt holes (slots) were not correctly drilled and located in the wrong place on the fender-side bracket and then I looked hard at the hood-side bracket. Are you kidding me, that bracket was reverse mounted and actually a passenger side bracket. Unfortunately I had butchered this hinge and knew it was pointless to try and get a return from Tuckers. My bad!

Fast forward to last week when another driver’s side hinge arrived that I purchased from “Truck Shop” in California. 1st thing I did was look at the manufacturer, which was Counterpart, and then I looked at the hood side bracket. Guess what, it was identical to the one that I bought previously from Tucker a month ago. Clearly Counterpart is experiencing a quality control problem OR they simply ran out of the correct bracket for the driver’s side and figured it doesn’t matter, lol.

Anyway, next week I’ll be dealing with Truck Shop about returning hinge #2 and continue on my search for one that is correct. Bottom line is always inspect aftermarket parts before trying to install them.

Name:  Original_Counterpart_Hinges.jpg
Views: 2086
Size:  40.5 KBName:  OriginalGM.jpg
Views: 2017
Size:  38.4 KBName:  Counterpart.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  37.1 KB
Old 11-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
magwakeenercew2jh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C20Pres View Post
In my search for hood hinges,
...snip....
Anyway, next week I’ll be dealing with Truck Shop about returning hinge #2 and continue on my search for one that is correct.
Oh oh!

When you find good ones, let us know. I need new hinges. Don't want to suffer like you did.

Thanks.
But always a rat.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
DT1

I experienced the same thing with aftermarket hinges. After hours of trying to get them to work, I decided to just send them back. The company that sold them to me has always been good at refunding with little or no questions asked.
Fortunately for me, I have the machinery/tools, so I just rebuilt the old units. That said, the OEM hinges weren't the best quality when they were new.
As far as other aftermarket parts are concerned, I learned a long time ago that the vast percentage of them are basically just a "Starting point" and must be tweaked, bent, re-drilled, cut, etc. Aftermarket parts are basically junk, but I'm glad they are, at the very least, available when it's either aftermarket or nothing at all.
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Mister-B
Account Suspended

I prefer to buy vintage used parts where possible, but then buy other parts from vendors who I feel have a passion for our trucks. I feel like the guys at Brothers do. So does GMC Pauls. I'm sure there are others.

The largest out there that I'd stay away from is LMC. Did you guys know they sell Ford parts too? They're in it for the money. Not the passion and the money. It shows in the quality of the parts, and their Knowledge. I've never actually ordered a part from them, but have heard enough on here and from friends to stay away. I've taken some heat for that, but I'm reminded of the following quote: A smart man learns from his mistakes. A brilliant man learns from the mistakes of others.

That being said, even the good vendors aren't perfect. I bought a set of wiper arms and blades from brothers a couple weeks ago, and they were bad. Had to send them back. The wipers left streaks and made tons of noise. I have an almost new windshield that has been clay barred recently too. Went back to my stock setup, and things work great. I was honestly just looking for more bling from their shiny stainless arms.
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
az's1971C10

I'm lucky and live near Vintage Chevy Trucks in Fremont, CA. He sells all the stuff your looking for and it's original GM/Chevy truck parts from trucks that were totaled and salvaged. Look him up at vintagechevytrucks.com.
TH350
Sanderson Headers
71' C10 SWB ECE 4/6 drop kit: SOLD
az's1971C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
I am sure I'm not the only one this is happening to. Why do we put up with it? I'm not going to name names but here are a few things I purchased that there were problems with and the supplier treated me like I just don't know what I am doing:

Complete wiring harness - Not really complete
One piece window kit - Doesn't install/fit as advertised
Aluminium radiator with electric fans - After installation; "Those fans won't cut it with A/C"
Gauge package - Inaccurate temp reading; "You can't install the sending unit in the head", their instructions suggest installation in the head
Sheet metal - just like OEM...Not!
Stainless steel brake lines - "Bent like original equipment"...Not!
Assemblies come incomplete (i.e. no bolts, brackets etc.)

Sorry about the rant, I'm just tired of spending hard earned money and getting parts that have been misrepresented by the suppliers. What about you guys/girls, tell us about your experiences with parts you have purchased.
Why not name names? This is exactly what people need to know. If a vendor is not selling a quality product, its not our job to be polite about it.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
stepsider

I've Been around for a while, One thing that I have heard from the suppliers & who ever, (Massage) You have to massage it to make it work. Sheet metal is the worst. You have to check your item when buying online. If its real cheap they most likely left some out of the kit. There are some good vendors out there who make every effort to make it right. There are some things that you can't beat factory used GM parts. And sad to say some replacement parts you have to massage to make them work. Just part of the hobby. We are luck to have so many years 67-72 for parts.
stepsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
marvgarr68

Bought a clutch rod boot for the firewall from LMC. When I went to remove it from the package it cracked and broke straight out of the package. I also bought the parking brake guide kit the long rod was not chromed all the way.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=591188
marvgarr68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
burnin oil

I have been playing with cars my entire life but have to agree that some of our parts are total crap. I recently got some large door panel screws that the heads were plated shut. Another total POS was a set of towing mirrors. The feet were bent wrong, the mounting hardware fell out on the test drive, and the mounts for the head wobble extreamly bad. The nuts are not even close to being crimped in place. I fixed everything except the nuts in the arm. Pretty soon I will find out if I can tack weld stainless as that is about the only way to fix the dumbo ears. Another poor fiting piece I bought was cab corners. When you lined up one side the other was hanging below the truck on a 30 degree angle. I made it work but it took a ton more work than it should of. Poor fitting is expected but seriously. All that aside I am glad that it is not 20 years ago. I remember looking for parts for a 67 and catalogs had a whopping 1 1/2 pages for 60-66 and 67-72 trucks combined! I guess I am lucky because I bought a set of hood hinges with Tiawan stickers on them. Shuts better than the wore out GMs and actually pops up when you pop the hood release. No reworking required.

Here is my major pet peave with vendors. Not having parts in stock that they claim to have. Two cases in point.

1. Order outside door handle to replace broken drivers side. The set was in stock so I order and get a passenger side only as the other is on back order. Been four months. Getting really sick of not having a door panel so that I can put the handle back together!
2. My wife ordered me a nice wood steering wheel for the truck in June. It was out of stock for two weeks. Well its now the end of November and both the steering wheel and the adapter kit have been in stock at different times but guess what, I still dont have either one. For Christs sake eat the shipping already and send them at seperate times. Asteast I have gotten 6 emails from them to remind me how inept they are. The format is so jacked that you can't even tell what they are talking about. O well, life goes on and I have time to fix other things.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
72MARIO

I have built 2 trucks. The only parts that fit perfect were make by Mar-K the front bed panel and 67-68 side trim were perfect. Everything else was work to make it fit.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #25
1972RedNeck

I think the best part I have bought was a heater motor resistor. The rest was trash.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote