The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
TwinsSpeedShop

Yesterday was a bad day for the 67 pic inside

So yesterday I filled the truck up and parked it during work. Problem was that it was tilted to the drivers side and the neck was full of fuel. After work I get back and found that the tank had built up pressure and couldn't vent since the neck was full. So it was dripping out of the cap and running down my paint! Not good. So I'm torn now on what to do. I will be doing my LS swap soon and was going to use the tanks inc pump assembly like Phil did and keep the stock tank since I bought the truck painted and didn't want to repaint around filler neck. Now that it has to be painted, I've been looking at the tanks inc truck universal tank and pump assembly. The size of the tank fits in the normal relocation space and the sell the tank, pump assembly, and sending unit for less than $500.

Anyone have any experience with their tank? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by TwinsSpeedShop; 06-01-2014 at 11:41 AM.
TwinsSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
TwinsSpeedShop

Re: Tanksinc tanks/fuel pump anyone used?

This is the tanks inc tank
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Blazerowner

I've never seen paint lift like that from fuel. That looks like paint remover. I would imagine it may be possible for that to happen if the paint was just sprayed on but after it cures I don't think it should be affected that much by fuel. I've seen a lot of guys using tanks pumps and never are complaints. The only thing I don't like about that tank is it looks like the filler is in the bed. I personally would want it off to the side myself.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Lee H

WOW!, I've never seen automotive paint do that with gas. Don't know anything about that brand of tanks. I'm normally one of those guys that doesn't see the need to move the tank but in this case, with plans for LS I would.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
TwinsSpeedShop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
WOW!, I've never seen automotive paint do that with gas. Don't know anything about that brand of tanks. I'm normally one of those guys that doesn't see the need to move the tank but in this case, with plans for LS I would.
The only thing I can figure is that when the truck was painted there may have been a spot where the grommet is that was thin and the gas got behind the paint. It's weird looking at the way it bubbled, and now it has laid back down but is just wrinkled. Either way, it sux.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
TwinsSpeedShop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I've never seen paint lift like that from fuel. That looks like paint remover. I would imagine it may be possible for that to happen if the paint was just sprayed on but after it cures I don't think it should be affected that much by fuel. I've seen a lot of guys using tanks pumps and never are complaints. The only thing I don't like about that tank is it looks like the filler is in the bed. I personally would want it off to the side myself.
Well mine is a step side so cutting a hole in the wood isn't really that big of a deal. If it was a fleet, I would agree with you!