The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 AM   #1
rickf

HEI and 12V

In a couple different threads and across a few different sites I've seen mention of supplying full 12V to newer HEI ignitions. I just put in a Pertronix units, seems to be working fine. I replaced the distributor and the coil and the plug wires.

The engine is a 71 GMC 350V8. The stock coil mount had a resister looking thing attached to it. I figured this was what the talk was about, so I took it off and tossed it.

Is this in fact the thing the talk is about?
Or is there something else at the other end of the hot wire I ought to eliminate?

I am using the original wire that disappears into a bundle that goes through the firewall, I have no idea where it goes from there. Another thing I think I'm reading from the threads is I probably ought to up the size of this wire, yes?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 AM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: HEI and 12V

The shunt resistor, (named in the factory assembly manual) is the white linear device on the firewall between the air cleaner and the power brake booster. It is a little hard to see, however it is the factory resistor in the factory location on my '66 Chevy C10. It keeps the current low enough to the points, to avoid burning them up.
Attached Images

LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
rickf

Okay, I don't have one of those. Mine is a 64 and originally a (beloved) 230L6. Any chance they put that item inside the cab someplace? Or did they just not do it in 64?

That thing I took off the coil, do you know what it was?
I am guessing it had to do with reducing radio interference.
I am not getting any radio interference, but I might if I had a radio.
Would the ignition still work well if I added that back in?
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
LILRED66
Account Suspended

I had to take my truck to my mechanic to figure this out, so I am repeating what he told me, as well as what the assembly manual indicated. There will be numerous electrical gurus that chime in on this post, that can speak more intelligently than I can. Sorry I am not better at answering your question.

Tony
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote