The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2023, 12:53 PM   #4001
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
500 Year old wood is pretty cool.
That's why the ladies call me that.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:58 PM   #4002
kwmech

So I think I'll take my mini Excavator and grab part of the arch so I can get more of the tree down. If you look where the cone is...that is where all the pressure is holding it up at the moment.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:00 PM   #4003
tutone

The baby got new shoes today. I am about ready to stop the bleeding on this camaro project. Paint and a very few items will get it. I hope to finish her up in May or June before hot weather.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:54 PM   #4004
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Nice 68 !

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:16 PM   #4005
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Yeah, sits in the shade quite a bit on the north side of the hill. Some of it is about 2'' thick. Gotta brush the chain saw blade back and forth a couple of times to find the trunk. What was kinda funny is that there were tire tracks in the snow under the tree. So it fell sometime in the early morning after somebody in the neighborhood went to work. Couple pics after about 5-6 hours of work
Is that a gap in the guard rail it fell through?

When that treacherous cold blew in hard on Dec 23rd I was driving a road along a reservoir where they had planted white pines for a buffer way back when the reservoir went in. Dense tall pine forest. I noticed motion to the left in the forest and it was a big one coming down. I was actually looking for that to happen, it was so windy and the trees were swaying so bad. I stopped as the tree fell right where I would have been had I not been wary. The tree broke and I was able to drag the top out of the road enough to get through. Had it moved before the guy behind me had a chance to get there. I wasn't spending any more time there than I had to. He said, "That was close!" I agreed and hi-tailed it out of there. We could talk some other time

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 01:53 AM   #4006
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Called roofers today. I have a small leak at the back of my house. Not bad, no drips but it stained my freshly painted ceiling. They're totally booked. No one available until June. Never call a roofer right after a bunch of storms. Everybody's roof is leaking.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:21 AM   #4007
special-K
Special Order

A good roofing company employees service guys to go fix leaks ASAP. I am not a big company, only me. I am not a roofer but I do fix work roofers fail to do correctly. A leak gets priority and the pretty it up job can wait. If the homeowner gripes about that, I tell them this is what you would want me to do if it was your roof that was leaking.

Was there no evidence of water leaking in prior to this work? This work was done after the snow and storms, wasn't it? Didn't the painter notice stains or dampness prior to painting? Or did you not see any watermarking before it was painted? Is it damp now? Maybe it's old watermarking that was painted over incorrectly. Do you have a hose to try to recreate the leak. It's best to analyze it yourself, of one of the guys working on the house, so you know what's up rather than rely on the word of a roofer who may only mess with a job worth more money than what he finds it needs. They would be in the position to tell you whatever they want in order to make the job suit their wants. If it doesn't leak it may be an old issue and the old watermarks are bleeding through. In that case, the painter owns it and a proper re-paint is due at his expense

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-31-2023, 07:40 AM   #4008
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

It was stained before. I didn't know if the stain was old or not since the ceiling had popcorn and had never been painted. But I had that scraped off and floated the ceiling. Then it rained and snowed and the stain was back. The roof is tile and doesn't look that old.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:21 AM   #4009
special-K
Special Order

It could be your roof is fine, basically. I bet the pitch is low and I wonder if with the snow you had some reverse hydraulic flow going on, ice damming basically. It's not like the terra cotta tiles seal to each other. A water test is best way to find out what's going on.

Ugh, I've scraped down and skimmed some popcorn ceilings before. Never fun working overhead, that has to be the worst. I scrape, mostly, from the floor with a long pole. You have to be careful with having less control, but what the heck, it all gets skimmed anyway. Right now I have to paint a ceiling like the one I did last summer. Beaded paneling between 4 x 4s that I wrapped (with boards I put a bigger bead on, then 1/4 round all around. Filling holes, caulking, then painting. I hate it. So tedious and all overhead. I'm getting too old for that. I also have to fill then sand all the seams in the wood I wrapped the 4xs with. I'm dreading going back. Getting paid and hearing "Looks great" doesn't even make it worthwhile. I have to remodel my own bedroom, including raising the ceiling. That will be similar but I'll have exposed hand hewn beams (existing ceiling joists relocated and maybe just drywall between, if walls are paneled. So it ain't over yet!

I took some beginning pictures, then no more. It's the S.O.S. as the other room I already took pictures of. Another thing is all the furniture is in the room, so moving, working around, climbing over and onto the bed... Did I already say I'm getting to old for this shhhhh... (we ask that members refrain from the use of foul language )

First two are her son's room I'm doing now (son lives in Peru). Last one is her room completed. She stripped the wall paper and had me fix the plaster cracks, skim it all, sand of coarse, and paint. Like I said, "ugh", none of this is my favorite thing to do
Attached Images

Tim

Old 03-31-2023, 10:22 AM   #4010
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Is that a gap in the guard rail it fell through?
Yeah, it kind did. Part of the trunk center punched of the posts. Well I'm done on it. One of my neighbors was being a little bitc...about me taking the firewood and wanted half of it...HALF! Mind you, I was doing ALL THE work. Needless to say we had some words. So I said to take it all and you're responsible for the rest of the work and cleanup then I left everything arched out and under pressure. I'm guessing there is about 5-6 thousand pounds of tree there, so good luck with that without my tractors and my help. The way I see it he'll have to hire out some help. He's 68. Sometimes I just hate neighbors. Glad I'm on 5 acres
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 03:06 PM   #4011
Gotenntitans

Yesterday, March 30, 2023. Arkansas crappie fish! Big fun & great eating.

2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:24 PM   #4012
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotenntitans View Post
Nice!! I gave up fishing around where I live. I can't even catch a cold here. I used to love salt water fishing in San Diego. This fresh water stuff sucks, for me anyway.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:36 PM   #4013
special-K
Special Order

I caught a cold. been fighting a bad one all week. That's some crappie eating right there!

Unbelievable how some neighbors can ass-out just to prevent a good thing from happening. It's first come first serve with wood along the road here. Coming home today I spotted some cut up locust the county boys left laying and I'll be grabbing that tomorrow. I'm wondering if the person who's property it is in front is aware of the laws of the land. I believe it's been there a week or two. I just noticed it's locust and I want!

Tim

Old 03-31-2023, 10:35 PM   #4014
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Nice!! I gave up fishing around where I live. I can't even catch a cold here. I used to love salt water fishing in San Diego. This fresh water stuff sucks, for me anyway.
I "fished" along the Snake River back in the mid-70s. Not a fisherman. I kept losing fish because they were too small to get past the worm to the hook, and slid off. There are pics of me holding up a couple of 6" long catfish (which I didn't catch) in the family archives.

On a happier note, it looks like the person that I've encountered at our rental house appears to be serious about buying it. Woo-Hoo!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:22 AM   #4015
Boog
laying low

Quote:

Nice mess of crappie John. I can smell them from here. I guess you caught those right before the severe weather moved across the state yesterday? I've always heard fish bite good right before a weather front.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:30 AM   #4016
best view

Nice fish sucky hat
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:12 AM   #4017
special-K
Special Order

I was going to say, I tried a hat like that on but it wouldn't fit! But if anyone else wants to wear one, or has an older FlOoReD that's alright by me

Tim

Old 04-01-2023, 10:20 AM   #4018
Getter-Done

Maybe it's a Tractor hat
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:21 AM   #4019
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
On a happier note, it looks like the person that I've encountered at our rental house appears to be serious about buying it. Woo-Hoo!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #4020
68bowtie

Quote:

Hard to find a better day than that!

Been a long time since I had a crappie slaying like that. We would fillet and batter fry them. Pretty good eating.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 06:52 PM   #4021
special-K
Special Order

I've had the worst cold I ever recall having. Lasting longer, worse effects. Really achy, fever, and not even sleeping well. I was about to finish that ceiling job, and a few other things I did at the same place, all just needing paint now. When I got a call 5 windows for this old place had come in. Those folks would be fine with waiting a few days. Then, I've been waiting for the word to start siding on this shed a friend of mine built for the general manager at this home center where I get a lot of work from. I've been waiting since late Jan.

First it was supposed to be roof and siding. Then his vehicle needed a fuel pump and he got sketchy about spending money all at once. Next I find out he had some guy who works at the store do the roof. Ok fine, but my price was for both combined. Now the job got smaller. Then his wife needed a crown and he held me off again. Now he's in a big hurry and I have this other work for people who know what they want and when and I'm sick, really sick.

But Thursday I took some Tylenol and figured I'd get set up and strike a lick until I was too miserable. Let me tell you, I was miserable that night and Friday morning. But I went down and worked again, waiting for the temps to climb out of the 20s, thank you! The guy is nice and he gives me a lot of work, but Jeezy peezy, all he cares about is getting this job done. He asks, "Do you work weekends?". Yeah, when I'm not so sick I should be laying in bed! Plus today we had rain in the morning and 60 mph winds predicted. I'm going back Monday, first thing and finishing that thing up!

BTW, I have never done a job with such crapass footing. That god forsaken rubble they call recycled concrete is the devil's own creation. Might be good for some things, but try walking, let alone while focusing on your work with that rubble rolling out from under you feet, trying to turn an ankle. And kneeling on it is pure torture. My feet were killing me when I got home. I just went for a drive today and not doing much tomorrow. I need to kick this cold out. It seems better today. no Tylenol since 3am. We'll see tonight
Attached Images

Tim

Old 04-01-2023, 07:00 PM   #4022
best view

I’d tell him same price i was doing the roof for free
best view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:34 PM   #4023
special-K
Special Order

I had a lot of thoughts, but this guy give my number out as a big source of work for me. often starts with a piddley repair, then turns into a lasting relationship, or at least calls for other work once they gain confidence in me. All about the bread & butter.

I got a call to do a vent stack boot on a house. I have a 1/2 day minimum charge. The homeowner asked me to check the others, I tell him I always do and will give a report on shingle condition as well. He had three other boot, all with the rubber seal bad. I had to get more and come back the next day. Since I already got a half day pay for the one, I cut $50 off to do the other three. He asked about replacing the cheap f49 cent yellowed plastic vents the builder used, that were hard to access due to location, height, aluminum siding/40' ladder, with frail framing beneath, AND one gable wall had a huge holly tree against the house. I said it would require renting a man-lift. I told him I noticed the painted wood trim on the gables up there were due for repaint and would require very little prep at this point. I'd take care of that and he could have a painted do all the lower stuff at his liberty. He agreed to that and asked to also price all the lower painting. I told him since the fascia behind the gutters is the most vulnerable that they should be removed to paint, then reinstall. But I suggested wrapping with color matched aluminum so gutter removal again would not be required. He liked that and asked to also figure new gutter. Then there were two lengths that were hard for him to clean leaves and asked to price my recommended leaf guard.

So, I came back with a total price, with each thing broken out and he took the whole ball of wax, over $7,000! That man-lift made the work a breeze and I did the job M-F. The man-lift was due back Monday morning, so that weekend I took down a big maple at home. The guy was happy and I made good money. Not many jobs go that well, but that's the kind of jobs I get out of this guy I'm doing work for now. So I'm cutting him some slack... this time!!

Tim

Old 04-01-2023, 07:34 PM   #4024
special-K
Special Order

I had a lot of thoughts, but this guy gives my number out as a big source of work for me. Often starts with a piddley repair, then turns into a lasting relationship, or at least calls for other work once they gain confidence in me. All about the bread & butter.

I got a call to do a vent stack boot on a house. I have a 1/2 day minimum charge. The homeowner asked me to check the others, I tell him I always do and will give a report on shingle condition as well. He had three other boots, all with the rubber seal bad. I had to get more and come back the next day. Since I already got a half day pay for the one, I cut $50 off to do the other three. He asked about replacing the cheap 49 cent yellowed plastic vents the builder used, that were hard to access due to location, height, aluminum siding/40' ladder, with frail framing beneath, AND one gable wall had a huge holly tree against the house. I said it would require renting a man-lift. I told him I noticed the painted wood trim on the gables up there were due for repaint and would require very little prep at this point. I'd take care of that and he could have a painter do all the lower stuff at his liberty, and not have to pay a premium for the high work. He agreed to that and asked to also price all the lower painting. I told him since the fascia behind the gutters is the most vulnerable that they should be removed to paint, then reinstall. But I suggested wrapping with color matched aluminum so gutter removal again would not be required. He liked that and asked to also figure new gutter. Then there were two lengths that were hard for him to clean leaves and asked to price my recommended leaf guard.

So, I came back with a total price, with each thing broken out and he took the whole ball of wax, over $7,000! That man-lift made the work a breeze and I did the job M-F. The man-lift was due back Monday morning, so that weekend I took down a big maple at home. The guy was happy and I made good money. Not many jobs go that well, but that's the kind of jobs I get out of this guy I'm doing work for now. So I'm cutting him some slack... this time!!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2023 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:37 PM   #4025
Gotenntitans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Nice mess of crappie John. I can smell them from here. I guess you caught those right before the severe weather moved across the state yesterday? I've always heard fish bite good right before a weather front.
Thursday at Lake Greeson. Beat the bad weather by one day.
2003 Chevy Silverado
Gotenntitans is offline   Reply With Quote