The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2002, 01:06 AM   #1
landon4421
Life is Good !

Question fuel tank installation

hello again everyone !!! I have a problem, I just got my poly blazer tank for my 4x4 short bed p/u. Thinking that Chevy Duty would include intallation instructions. Well thats what I get for thinking. Anyway I was wondering if one of you guys that have repaced the tank from behind the seat would have pictures of the installation process ?? I was wondering if the straps go from frame rail to frame rail ? Or from front to back, This mean that I would have to add a cross member ? I want to do it right so this is why I'm asking you guys.... Thank for all the help !!!!!!!!
'14 Honda Accord Sport "commuter"
landon4421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 07:22 AM   #2
GMCPaul

Thumbs up

The straps will run from side to side attaching to the frame. Your straps now are most likely bent in a L shape to fit in the box they were shipped in, straighten the straps and place them under the tank with a even amount extending from under tank on both sides and flanges on either end pointed down. Mark edge of tank on both straps on both sides then move tank off straps and place foot on mark where tank would be and bend strap up so it is approx. a 70 degree angle. Slide under truck and grind heads off rivets holding the spare tire brace on frame that runs from side to side it is located just forward of the rear crossmember your electrical plug for taillight wire harness plugs into and is approx. 1" wide. Now using a floor jack or similar item push tank up into place behind rearend and forward of rear main crossmember and see if the second from rear bed cross-sill interferes with tank stops on side of tank from bottoming against the frame on either side, if it does you will need to notch this crossmember on both sides at inside edge of frame up 1 1/4" then cut out from side to side between notches. Check tank clearance now. Once this is done some prefer to weld a piece closing off the bottom of this cross-sill for added strength. We have never seen or heard of this brace bending even with heavy loads if this is not done so this is not absolutely necessary.
Now if you position the straps under the tank side to side with the S bolt installed loosely on one side you can mark the frame to drill holes to install the straps ( If you get really lucky some SWB trucks have 2 holes already there on passenger side that are perfectly positioned ) Drill the holes on one side and then install s-bolts and hold straps opposite side mark and drill holes. You now have mounting done. Now you need to extend your fuel feed line going to pump back to tank fuel sender and extend the fuel sender wire ( I find using the Blazer fuel sender wire useful here as I do not like splicing), you will need to use as least 1 vent line for connecting to the fuel filler tube for venting and I myself prefer a 2nd vent line ran to the carbon cannister. Some trucks have vent lines for EEC and these can be connected to 2 of the 3 lines available on tank. Filler choice is one of those your imaginations the limit!!! I have seen them behind taillights, sidemarker lights, in the top of stake pockets, bed floors, and behind fuel filler doors. Fillers available to be used can be gotten from late model trucks and cars, marine fuel fillers ( from places like
http://www.overtons.com ), etc.... But remember what ever filler you use you need to be able to attach to 1 1/4" inside diameter fuel filler hose. This hose is best located at NAPA's, diesel supply outlets, tractor dealers, etc.... and price is not cheap as it runs from about $12-$20 a foot.
Oh yeah on your fuel sender you will also find a black wire which is supposed to attach to the rear main frame crossmember ( Every frame I have seen has a hole already drilled to attach this ground wire )
Heres a link to one that went in a 4X4 off the Classic Heartbeat site
http://www.classicheartbeat.com/mark...t_gas_door.htm
heres a link where Brothers did one on a Suburban
http://www.brotherstrucks.com/tech/t...NSTALLATION%20
I believe there may be a few others on the net available showing it but that should have you pretty well covered documented installs.
Well that pretty much covers it if I left something out I am sure someone will jump in here and mention it.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:23 PM   #3
landon4421
Life is Good !

Thank you GMC Paul for making my life a little bit easyer.... Your input is appreciated !!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 10:37 PM   #4
Low69CST

I ran into the same problem, so I tried to do somethin about it.

http://www.low69cst.freeservers.com/Blazertank.htm
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #5
minibike

Dang GMCPaul. That was nice of you to provide all that information, even though Chevy Duty got the sale. I think I know where my next purchase is coming from.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:23 AM   #6
landon4421
Life is Good !

Went out tonight affter dinner and put in the blazer tank.. Did I do it right ? Looks right to me but it is also the first time I've do this. The rebuild and all.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2002, 12:29 AM   #7
landon4421
Life is Good !

Did I put on the straps right ? Dose any one have a set of stock blazer staps, That are in good shape ?????
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2002, 10:55 AM   #8
Nichboy

Hey Landan that looks good, did you have any side to side movement of tank between the frame. That's a problem i had on my install
Old 11-21-2002, 11:01 PM   #9
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

Looks good I put the same tank in my panel after I replacet the sending unit filling it up and finding out it was leaking What vent are you going to use.
GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 12:08 AM   #10
landon4421
Life is Good !

I dont know what vent to put on it ? I am putting the filler in the side marker light. Have not gotten there yet. First Powder coating then, well the list is really long. Fuel tank is close to bottom of that list. What vent did you use junkie ? aAt least everyone so far as approved of my work ! Thanks guys !!
Landon
Old 11-22-2002, 06:29 PM   #11
GMC JUNKIE TOO
THE QUICKER FIXERUPER

I dident use any of the vents I figured if they dident come stock I dident need them. Im going to have to use one of them because it fills real slow and when full fuel spills out of the filler under hard turns.

GMC JUNKIE TOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:06 PM   #12
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

3:07 or 3:08?

It looks like whoever wrote, "3:08 posi" on the rearend cover doesn't know they were really 3:07s...Oh, oops, that was me!!! I will never get that straight. You are really doing a nice job building that 4X4 shorty. They are great trucks! Thanks again for coming all the way up here from Cal to pick up the chassis & box...Keep showing us progress pics. Frank.