The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Hover

I'm new and have a stupid question

Hi all, I've been reading this forum for a while and learning about these beautiful trucks. I own a 56 Chevy shortbox, with a few mods. I always liked the half moon covers that go over the headlamps, so I ordered a pair. So, I remove the 3 screws that hold the bezel on, but the bezel seems like it is attached with springs and won't come off. I don't want to force it too much, but need to get it off so I can remove the ring from around the sealed beam and slide the covers into place. Is there a trick to getting these things off? I did pull pretty hard on these bezels but neither of them are cooperating. Thanks.
Hover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:11 PM   #2
Some_Guy

Re: I'm new and have a stupid question

If i remember right you need to remove those springs from the ring.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...55ctsm1206.htm
Old 07-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
Hover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Guy View Post
If i remember right you need to remove those springs from the ring.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...55ctsm1206.htm
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #4
Hover

I realize there might be springs attached to the ring around the sealed beam, but I'm talking about the outer bezel. It should come off by removing 3 screws, but I can only pull it out 1/8" or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #5
Some_Guy

Yeah. The bezel should come right off with those three screws. There should be a rubber gasket between it and the ring. It might be old and basically glueing the bezel on.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
Hover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Guy View Post
Yeah. The bezel should come right off with those three screws. There should be a rubber gasket between it and the ring. It might be old and basically glueing the bezel on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
Hover

I thought it might be some kind of snap in fit but I'm not sure. The fenders are new, the truck was recently built, even the wiring harness to the headlamps is new.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
Trucknut57

Hover,

The outer cover has 3 screws, once you remove those screws then that cover "Should" come off. The next item is the ring that holds the headlight in the bucket, it also has 3 small screws, 2 adjusting screws, and 2 springs.

Some headlight bezels have a gasket around the inside, between the bezel and the headlight, this may create a tighter fit and be a little harder to remove but it should still come off pretty easy.

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
mr48chev

That spring shouldn't hook into the ring that holds the bulb in place but if it does just use a hook to disconnect the spring from the ring. I've got an O ring pick that I use for that now but years ago I made a hook out of a piece of welding rod for that purpose. Don't mess with the two adjusting screws unless you plan on readjusting the headlights.

I never figured out why a guy would want to put those silly things on his truck or car though as they block a lot of light at night and may hinder your ability to see on dark roads or the highway at highway speed. if you live in town and never take the truck out of town you are probably ok but if you live out in the country or do a lot of serious night driving to get somewhere you will probably be pulling them back off so you can see the road,

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #10
Hover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucknut57 View Post
Hover,

The outer cover has 3 screws, once you remove those screws then that cover "Should" come off. The next item is the ring that holds the headlight in the bucket, it also has 3 small screws, 2 adjusting screws, and 2 springs.

Some headlight bezels have a gasket around the inside, between the bezel and the headlight, this may create a tighter fit and be a little harder to remove but it should still come off pretty easy.
Well, I guess this gasket must be holding onto the outer cover pretty tight on both headlamps. I wil try to pull harder, but don't want to break anything. I think you are correct in saying that the outer cover "should" come off.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Hover

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That spring shouldn't hook into the ring that holds the bulb in place but if it does just use a hook to disconnect the spring from the ring. I've got an O ring pick that I use for that now but years ago I made a hook out of a piece of welding rod for that purpose. Don't mess with the two adjusting screws unless you plan on readjusting the headlights.

I never figured out why a guy would want to put those silly things on his truck or car though as they block a lot of light at night and may hinder your ability to see on dark roads or the highway at highway speed. if you live in town and never take the truck out of town you are probably ok but if you live out in the country or do a lot of serious night driving to get somewhere you will probably be pulling them back off so you can see the road,
Are you saying that the outer cover has a spring attached to the metal ring around the sealed beam? If so, is it near the bottom, top or where? If I can only pull the cover out a little, I'm not sure I could get any tool in behind the cover to hook onto the spring and remove it. BTW I never drive it at night out in the country. I like the look of these covers, if I get tired of them I can remove em, that is, if I can ever get them on to begin with lol.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #12
Trucknut57

I have taken mine apart many times. There are three Phillips screws that hold the outer chrome cover on to the headlight bucket, once I remove those three screws the chrome cover comes right off. Under it is another small chrome piece that holds the headlight to the headlight bucket, that same ring has two adjusting screws to aim the headlight, mine has a spring attached to that ring also, it keeps tension on the headlight so the adjustment screws don't back off.

If you have the ability to post a picture of your headlight area it may help us out.

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:39 AM   #13
Hover

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  33.0 KB

Thanks guys, I had to give it a pretty hard jerk, and it popped off the retainer.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
mr48chev

OK, I was thinking that you already had that part off and couldn't figure out how to get the ring around the bulb it's self off.

I've seen too many of them were the guys backed the adjustment screws all the way out trying to remove the headlight bulb.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #15
iowaboynca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I've seen too many of them were the guys backed the adjustment screws all the way out trying to remove the headlight bulb.
I did this when I took apart my front end. When I realized what I did I promptly put them back!

-Hover, see there's no such thing as a stupid question...
Old 07-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #16
Hover

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
I did this when I took apart my front end. When I realized what I did I promptly put them back!

-Hover, see there's no such thing as a stupid question...
Thanks to all with helping me out, I just couldn't understand why the cover wouldn't just come off once the screws were out. The rubber retainer gasket was a little smaller than the trim ring which was causing the problem. When I reinstalled the cover with retainer gasket, I simply lubed the rubber with windex and it went on with much less effort than it took to remove it. All is good, thanks again, I'm sure I will have more questions later.