The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
rs74

AC Delco or Dorman window motors?

I figure they are pretty much the same but thought I would ask everyones thoughts. Was leaning towards Delco's. I have to replace both sides on the dually. I think I am just doing the motor's and not the regulators.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
rs74

Re: AC Delco or Dorman window motors?

Oh, does anyone have the part number for the window switch pigtails. I need to replace the one on the drivers side as one of the wires came out of the connector.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 06-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
kalbert

I'd be surprised if there was more than one place making the motors. I suspect they all come out of the same factory and get put in different boxes.

I had a couple wires break off or pull out and was able to strip them back and solder back on to the terminal.
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

I would only use Delco. You can get them for the same price or even cheaper if you go to the online OEM vendors. You can find the harness with connector for the motors there also. (PT254)

Here is my thread on replacing the harness:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...window+harness

Get the less expensive Delco motor that requires you to reuse your existing bracket. I don't know why but I have better luck with these than the bracket included motors.

Check here for OEM Delco parts:

www.rockauto.com
www.oewarehouse.com
www.oehq.com
www.autopartstomorrow.com
www.gmpartsdirect.com
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I would only use Delco. You can get them for the same price or even cheaper if you go to the online OEM vendors. You can find the harness with connector for the motors there also. (PT254)

Here is my thread on replacing the harness:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...window+harness

Get the less expensive Delco motor that requires you to reuse your existing bracket. I don't know why but I have better luck with these than the bracket included motors.

Check here for OEM Delco parts:

www.rockauto.com
www.oewarehouse.com
www.oehq.com
www.autopartstomorrow.com
www.gmpartsdirect.com
Thanks. I usually buy through Rockauto and the motor is only about $29. Your post must have been the one I saw about the harness.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

Don't forget the cost of shipping - then compare final cost. OE Warehouse is free shipping over $25, and others have free shipping at higher dollar amounts. I used p/n 12497971, which I think is just the Delco motor without the bracket.

If you have not replaced a motor before, it would be a good idea to check the other posts on R&R - and duct tape the opening in the door so you don't scratch up your forearms.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
Skunksmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbert View Post
I'd be surprised if there was more than one place making the motors. I suspect they all come out of the same factory and get put in different boxes.

I had a couple wires break off or pull out and was able to strip them back and solder back on to the terminal.
Only use delco if you can. You may be right about being made at the same place and put in different boxes, but the quality of the parts can differ wildly. Its the company that's paying the factory that determines the quality, not the factory itself.
Skunksmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

rs, mine are both sloooow and stop on the way down. I have not taken the door panels off yet to see what the problem is. I don't want to buy motors until I see what's going on. I'll be following this thread.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57NAPCO View Post
rs, mine are both sloooow and stop on the way down. I have not taken the door panels off yet to see what the problem is. I don't want to buy motors until I see what's going on. I'll be following this thread.
Mine do nothing at all but half of that is the broken wire at the window switch connector. I just figured I would go ahead a get new motors since I am sure the ones in it are older and probably half wore out. I do imagine the regurlator needs a good cleaning and relube also. I am going to get the new wiring pigtail fixed first along with a new switch and see how that goes first though. I would like to get the relay wiring harness that member Gmachinz has made and for sale. Maybe later down the road on that.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
tucsonjwt

I was going to get the relay mod also, but I found that a new motor of the type I described made the window operate fast enough. I still have one Delco motor of the bracket attached style that is somewhat slow. I will replace that with a no bracket attached style like the other one and expect it to work fine.