The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
52napco

1971 K10 ebay real super ??

Nice K10 on eBay and is allegedly a Cheyenne super
Curious what the earliest known super is ..I believe
It's to early to be legit.. opinions ?? Jocko?
Attached Images

52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:00 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: 1971 K10 ebay real super ??

How can I check it out in more detail? I see it has no upper side trim. Could that be deleted from factory? Was the truck repainted with that trim left off?

EDIT: I found it and it does say it's restored. It sure is missing everything that makes a Cheyenne Super. Most guys add stuff to 'create' a Super but this guy removed it? No chrome tailgate handle, no woodgrain on the dash, no chrome transfer case shifter. Most of all, no picture of the SPID, so we don't know the RPO

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-07-2022 at 11:08 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:53 AM   #3
jocko

if it's a Super, I'm a monkey's uncle.. It's missing way too many telltale signs that someone would not have removed if they wanted to sell it as a Super (tailgate handle cover, woodgrain on dash and gb door - the latter being dead giveaways).
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
52napco

I thought it looked familiar and was a little search I found these pictures
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Custom Deluxe. Not a rare color, either

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-07-2022, 06:55 PM   #6
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
Nice K10 on eBay and is allegedly a Cheyenne super
Curious what the earliest known super is ..I believe
It's to early to be legit.. opinions ?? Jocko?
My experience with EVERY super I have looked at
Or bought
If there is NO Spid it is NOT a super

When legit supers are put up for sale
Sellers post the spid, because it proves they are real

When poser supers are put up for sale
Sellers DON’T post the spid
Because it is fake…..
Then prospective buyers try to make up reasons
(It might be Legit)

Bottom line
No-Factory matching spid (or build sheet)
They are ALL fake

A buyer or seller can PRETEND the truck is legitimate

But it IS NOT

Last edited by Chevyland; 04-07-2022 at 07:02 PM.
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I agree, except it still could be real, unless there is a SPID that shows otherwise. Not everyone saw the value in that insignificant (until these days) sticker inside their glovebox. I peeled a few off myself 40 some years ago, so I could do a better paint job or get the door chromed or whatever. We see them painted over as well. The point is, without the SPID, or build sheet, you can not prove it is a Cheyenne Super or prove anything about what it came with or didn't from the factory. People pay big money for trucks because they are, or they believe they are, Cheyenne Supers. But they also pay big money for a truck of unknown origins because it's done really nice as well.

Tim

Old 04-07-2022, 07:54 PM   #8
leddzepp

Super or not that truck looks real clean and a real short bed. Someone will pay some real big money for it too

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:34 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I agree, except it still could be real, unless there is a SPID that shows otherwise.
I'll respectfully disagree Tim. I don't think it's possible that a seller would remove exactly all the items that make a Cheyenne Super a Cheyenne Super, except the Super badge, and then turn around and try to sell it as a Cheyenne Super. It's the same old thing - a seller slaps on a Super badge and hopes the one buyer that has 89k sitting around won't notice it's missing everything else. And yes, those buyers are sitting around (not on this board, but they fill the stadium at Barrett Jackson and Mecum every few weeks). Agree with Scott, it's a beauty of a truck, no question about it, and someone will definitely enjoy it - but I also agree with Eric, it's fake, there's not even a snowball's chance it's real.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:44 PM   #10
jocko

Ken, to your original question about 71 cut-in for Cheyenne Supers, it's a good question and I'm not sure. The 71 Cheyenne Super I had was a 6/71 build, so well past mid-71 model year. The mid-71 Super brochure I have is dated March 71.
Old 04-07-2022, 09:14 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I don't really get in to plants where these are built or when they were built etc. But I do have a 71 Super and if you tell me where to look Ill check the build date.

Just looked it up, no blue sticker and the original buckets were sold out of it before I got it (build sheet hiding place) .. So no help, sorry

Last edited by CG; 04-07-2022 at 09:23 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #12
52napco

Here's the new/current spid.. current owner doesn't realize it's a clone
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2022, 09:23 PM   #13
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I don't really get in to plants where these are built or when they were built etc. But I do have a 71 Super and if you tell me where to look Ill check the build date.
thanks CG, build date is on the blue sticker on the driver's door by the latch (or on the build sheet)
Old 04-07-2022, 09:37 PM   #14
Chevyland

Quote:
That is a very well done
‘Reproduction sticker’

And I’m sure, a very nice restoration

The bummer thing for me is
The truck is not a legitimate super
And most likely, the current owner bought it
Not knowing that

At the end of the day, 90% of the buyers out there
Could care less

But when you are ‘ A Super Snob’ like most of us here
It gives us something to talk about
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:47 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ok did a little board sleuthing on the build date thread (if anyone cares lol)

Mine falls between these two, not sure if this is early for a 71 Super or not, just tossing it out there (copy pasted them).

1Z646836 = 4/71 post 265
1Z652446 = 5/71 post 261 suburban

Mine ... 1Z650581 Its my 71 C30 Super
Old 04-07-2022, 10:00 PM   #16
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
But when you are ‘ A Super Snob’ like most of us here
You've coined a new phrase, I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ok did a little board sleuthing on the build date thread (if anyone cares lol)

Mine falls between these two, not sure if this is early for a 71 Super or not, just tossing it out there (copy pasted them).

1Z646836 = 4/71 post 265
1Z652446 = 5/71 post 261 suburban

Mine ... 1Z650581 Its my 71 C30 Super
Thanks CG, good data point. I smell a new thread coming.. "show me your 71 Super build date sticker"... I'd be curious to see if there were ANY Februarys. I'd assume not based on the brochure date. My gut feeling is there are probably a few March ones floating around out there and then the rest were April or later.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:03 AM   #17
68bowtie

Quote:
Wow. Someone has VERY poor character. Perhaps the prior seller, who knows. But that’s absolutely intentional to remove the original “custom” SPID and stick a new one on that’s the same except they replace the “custom” with “super”.

I agree most people don’t care like us super snobs (haha), and it will get big money. But that is shady.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:18 AM   #18
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
Wow. Someone has VERY poor character. Perhaps the prior seller, who knows. But that’s absolutely intentional to remove the original “custom” SPID and stick a new one on that’s the same except they replace the “custom” with “super”.

I agree most people don’t care like us super snobs (haha), and it will get big money. But that is shady.
There is a lot more done to that new SPID than adding YE9 in place of Z62. Note the addition of tilt & tach and the intentional removal of the gauges and cargo light (because gauges were standard on a Super and cargo light standard on a Cheyenne or higher) - and the RPOs are re-ordered into what would have been the correct order of options for this particular SPID. Probably the most accurate effort I've seen on a SPID to be honest. Personally, I don't have an issue with someone creating a dream truck SPID to match the dream truck they built - I only have an issue when they try to sell it as such. One thing I don't quite get.. in this market there are also informed buyers - and a Custom Deluxe swb K10 would bring crazy money to a collector who knows what he or she is looking at - I don't think there's necessarily more money to be had by selling it as a Super - but it probably widens the potential buyer pool because some folks drool over Supers because of Barrett Jackson hype. It would be a real treasure if it had been restored to stock. Not bashing, there's a market and a following either way, my point is that I think either direction would bring big $ in today's market - but just from two different crowds.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:28 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
My experience with EVERY super I have looked at
Or bought
If there is NO Spid it is NOT a super

When legit supers are put up for sale
Sellers post the spid, because it proves they are real

When poser supers are put up for sale
Sellers DON’T post the spid
Because it is fake…..
Then prospective buyers try to make up reasons
(It might be Legit)

Bottom line
No-Factory matching spid (or build sheet)
They are ALL fake

A buyer or seller can PRETEND the truck is legitimate

But it IS NOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I agree, except it still could be real, unless there is a SPID that shows otherwise. Not everyone saw the value in that insignificant (until these days) sticker inside their glovebox. I peeled a few off myself 40 some years ago, so I could do a better paint job or get the door chromed or whatever. We see them painted over as well. The point is, without the SPID, or build sheet, you can not prove it is a Cheyenne Super or prove anything about what it came with or didn't from the factory. People pay big money for trucks because they are, or they believe they are, Cheyenne Supers. But they also pay big money for a truck of unknown origins because it's done really nice as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'll respectfully disagree Tim. I don't think it's possible that a seller would remove exactly all the items that make a Cheyenne Super a Cheyenne Super, except the Super badge, and then turn around and try to sell it as a Cheyenne Super. It's the same old thing - a seller slaps on a Super badge and hopes the one buyer that has 89k sitting around won't notice it's missing everything else. And yes, those buyers are sitting around (not on this board, but they fill the stadium at Barrett Jackson and Mecum every few weeks). Agree with Scott, it's a beauty of a truck, no question about it, and someone will definitely enjoy it - but I also agree with Eric, it's fake, there's not even a snowball's chance it's real.
My post was a reply to all of Eric's post. Your post was a reply to one sentence in my post. I never addressed this truck in my reply, just as Eric didn't. He made a statement about all Cheyenne Supers with no SPID and that is what I responded to. If you read my first post you will see I cited all the "super" items were missing to point out the truck is not a Cheyenne Super. A truck without a SPID can be a real Cheyenne Super, just can't prove it, is all I was saying.

And I agree, that truck restored as the Custom Deluxe it left the factory as would fetch a pretty penny and be the pride of many a collector.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 04-08-2022 at 11:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-08-2022, 01:46 AM   #20
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Probably the most accurate effort I've seen on a SPID to be honest. Personally, I don't have an issue with someone creating a dream truck SPID to match the dream truck they built - I only have an issue when they try to sell it as such.
I agree with every word of this. But although some people care about the spid and some don’t, the same person can’t claim both.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #21
chevmn

I guess I am guilty of building a clone super, but certainly not with malicious intent to sell, or profit. I simply got into the process of restoring (driver restoration) a Cheyenne with a fair number of options, then a combination of scope creep, and the fact I ran across enough parts to make it a super, then decided to have a repro spid done to match those options. But, I am keeping the original glove box door with original spid in case I do decide to sell the truck, and I would provide the original spid to whoever the next owner is. But the goal here is to build what I want, and I have no guilt. The orig truck is a big block Cheyenne with air, and several desired options, but I am adding gm tilt, gm sliding rear glass, a factory am/fm radio, houndstooth seat covering, P03 dog dish caps, and the super trim pieces, then to top it off some some aftermarket pieces such as old school aluminum high rise intake, a few chrome dress goodies (valve covers, cover for the Dana rear, etc), headers, and probably a few things I cannot recall right off, but it is a work in progress, what I want and knew I would likely never find a truck like it. This is likely very close to the truck I would have ordered if I could go back in time and had the checkbook to do so, but this is close as I can get. I still say I would like to someday build a clone 70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 car, and a genuine car would easily fetch 6 figures now, so the only chance at my getting close is build it. Guess time will tell.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:36 AM   #22
52napco

Absolutely nothing wrong with building your dream truck..the problem is when folks do it to make money and are deceitful to make $$$..I have old Camaros also and frequent the CRG forum etc. There's a a lot of litigation now from cloned cars that were misrepresented by the seller.,.Our trucks are bringing good money as well and with this comes the folks that want to profit rather than enjoy them...A good lawyer will have a field day with this truck.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:33 AM   #23
jocko

I agree with Ken chevmn - absolutely nothing wrong with building one's dream truck, including SPID to match. What you're picking up on above is when someone misrepresents a truck when they sell it. Keeping the original SPID, and on the original gb door, is the best way to go about doing what you're doing in my opinion. At a minimum, keeping a picture of the SPID, and even of the truck when it was original, if that's even possible, is a good idea. Agree with Tim that gb doors and SPIDs never really mattered in the past and many of them got tossed when trucks were painted or whatever. But back then, the trucks weren't being listed for $89k either. These trucks usually sell for more than Vettes at auction, strange new world. There's a part of me that still wishes for the old days when these trucks were "just trucks" and not treated like exotics at auction - but those days are gone Anyway.. I don't think anyone has any issue with a dream truck approach - it's only an issue if misrepresented when sold. Bottom line is that buyers just want a seller to be honest.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:13 PM   #24
factorystock

I can see it very tempting when doing a complete restoration to add some options you wish it had and delete some options you wish it didn't have and creating a new SPID to reflect the new metamorphous. I don't see anything wrong in it as long as the vin # wasn't tampered with, it's just another case of buyer beware. An educated enthusiast who wants a factory original, will stay away if the SPID looks brand new.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #25
68bowtie

I agree with you guys. Nothing wrong at all with a clone. It’s just “intentional” misrepresentation that is an issue. I did not mean to say otherwise, but perhaps it came across that way.

I was speaking to this specific listing…

Name:  FA54C243-FF39-4891-9F4B-EA0CC092F8BF.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  41.4 KB

Last edited by 68bowtie; 04-09-2022 at 01:27 PM.