The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
StoningtonQB

Water outlet bolts - original part numbers?

At the risk of asking what is quite possibly the dumbest question ever asked on this forum, does anyone know the part numbers of the original water outlet bolts? I'm replacing this TERRIBLE chrome water outlet the last guy put on this thing (leaks no matter what) with an OEM replacement and am also looking to do away with these stupid allen-head bolts (either they came with the Edelbrock manifold or the water outlet themselves). The Chevy dealer is beyond useless. They can't look up the part numbers and their computer only goes back to '76 (even though I just said, "look it up for a '76 then"). It's like going to Advance AutoParts with these guys! I bought a copy of the assembly manual and the part numbers are missing. Anyways, one bolt must be taller than the other, so I was hoping to either find out the right numbers, or find a couple of good used bolts. Anywhere I can find part numbers like this?
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
69GMCLonghorn

Re: Water outlet bolts - original part numbers?

Not a dumb question, but I think it's easier than you think. These particular bolts are not rocket science... You should be able to guestimate the length of the bolts needed for both sides, maybe using the allen bolts as a gauge and add/subtract for the new neck. Then just go to a hardware store and pick up a couple bolts. I've done it before and it worked fine. If you're off by a hair, add a washer or 2.
69GMCLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
StoningtonQB

Well, to be honest I would like to get some original ones. It's easy enough to go to the hardware store, but slowly but surely I am replacing everything that isn't correct. The manifold and carb work great for now but at some point even those will go back to original.
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #4
swamp rat

Water outlet........ You mean the Thermostat housing right?

I think the only way to find originals these days is to go to the parts thread and find somebody parting out trucks like Spcialtyretail and ask them.

Otherwise i'd just use Grade 5 bolts and lock washers, most hardware stores carry them just make sure the bolts you buy stick out far enough from the new thermostat housing and have about 3/4" length of threads going into the manifold and make sure they don't bottom out. been doing that for years with no problems, just stay away from grade 2, grade 8 is over kill.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
bigmac73

you just need a couple 3/8-16 bolts, i used stainless myself
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote