The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2024, 09:48 PM   #1
lilpoindexter

1978 C10 lock cylinder failed now alternator light is on

1978 C10 with the California integrated head 250. a couple weeks ago i was chillin... driving down the freeway and my oil light came on and my radio started cutting in and out. i pulled off the freeway and tried to turn the key off...but the lock cylinder was seized. i muscled it to off and thought i smelled a light smell of burnt electronics. i was only a mile from home so i forced the cylinder to crank and drove home. i replaced the lock cylinder but now my alternator light is on when I turn the key off. the oil light also flickers when the engine is on. o was going to plug an oil pressure gauge into the oul switch hole but i don't have a socket to fit the switch. even when the oil switch is unplugged my oil light flickers. my next step was going to be checking voltage at the battery with the engine running, and taking the alternator off for testing at AutoZone. the engine sounds fine, so i don't believe i really have low oil pressure. could that faulty lock cylider have been stuck between crank and start or something and damaged the alternator? all the wires at the ignition switch itself (just inside the dash, on top of the column) seems fine, no melted or burnt wires . any body have any suggestions?
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 10:45 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: 1978 C10 lock cylinder failed now alternator light is on

The radio cutting out and the oil light coming on + smell of burnt electronics implies a wiring issue. Is it possible the 'frozen' lock cylinder was really a stuck ignition switch that kept the cylinder from turning?

Checking voltage and alt seems a good next step. Possible the volt regulator failed high and put out too much voltage and burned a few things. I had one fail that way and it is rather worrisome when the voltage on the gauge climbs to around 20V. Unhooked the alt and turned everything off and drove home, lucky it was daytime.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote