The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
hdhracerx

1954 3100 sleeper chassis parts identification help!

I love crawling under my truck and getting to know it. IDing the components so I can get the right part and plan my mods properly seems to be the next logical next step.

PO says Pinto front end and 12 bolt rear. Front has relatively small discs and rear has big finned drums. Master cylinder is stock and the same # apparently used on 1 tons until 59 or 60. Seems solid - had some gunk in it but I stripped it and cleaned it well. I also picked up the last rebuild kit from the local parts supplier and plan to do my first rebuild of a master cylinder. Broke a line too that had corroded, so I've got a section of new line to bend as well. Looking forward to the satisfaction of a firm brake pedal!

I have no experience with ID for a pinto/M2 front end or a 12 bolt rear. Did a few searches on a variety of sites, but came up empty so far. On the other hand I know there's folks here who know all this stuff cold. Did a search on the rear and after much brushing and cleaning last night came away with no #s on the tube as I was directed I would find, not to mention the fact that it appears to be a 10 bolt to my untrained eye. If it is a 10 bolt, is there a simple way to determine ratio? I'll be pulling the cover and refreshing the fluid and gasket, so I (think) can check gear ratio with a bit of counting and math, but would be helpful to have an idea as to what it actually is.

Also, have this 150$ "running good" 283 I plan to refresh with mild thumpr cam, valve job, and timing cover/oil pump. Plan is to pull the 305 and replace it. Engine came with carb riser and Holley of unknown size and origin. Would be nice to use it if appropriate as it worked well before supposedly. Any help id'ing these pieces would be very welcome too! Can I just measure the valve diameter to determine size?
Attached Images