The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
zghorner

1965 4X4 Conversion, Suburban Frame Swap?

I know 4x4 conversion questions get brought up a lot...and I have been searching it to death. Most threads on the topic are incomplete projects so I thought I would annoy you veterans by asking the question again:

If one was going to convert a 1965 LWB C10 to 4X4, would you recommend setting the body on a '91 or older suburban frame, or swap the 4x4 parts from the burban? Assuming the 3" or so body lift I would gain was a plus.

I like the idea of buying an 87-91 suburban and using the powertrain, frame and all...

Here is some info I found on doing the swap...makes it sound a lot easier than it probably is:

"i put a '64 chevy c10 onto a '78 chevy suburban frame wasn't really all to hard just had to use some 2x2 square tube as shims original intent was body lift but i needed to use two stacked plus the body mounts from the suburban in the front for the core suport and just a single 2x2 for all four monting spots for the cab and then for the bed just the front 4 mounts need a 2x2 and the back four are just on the frame i also had to cut off bout 8 in. of frame on the back cause it stuck out that far. big thing is to take all the mounting brackets off the your 66 frame and bolt them to your new frame (core support ones can be left on just need a plate to move the hole back? i couldn't relocate cause the powersteering gear) and my clutch linkage is all rigged up cause i couldn't find the right parts so i used several pieces from differen't trucks, you'll also have to shorten the steering shaft 1 in. give or take a hair if you use the original column not sure what you'll all have to do to use a newer one...."
zghorner is offline   Reply With Quote