The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
c10seth

Summit Racing® Correct-Align Power Steering Pump Brackets SUM-340201

Hi all,

Truck: 1971 c10 swb 2wd
Engine: Gen 1 rebuild with Edelbrock heads, intake, cam.

I'm in need of a better PS pump as the stamped steel bracket that I have will no longer play nicely with my headers and water pump.

I'm looking at this summit bracket set and wonder if anyone here has used it. I have a long neck, standard issue Saginaw style pump. I think this bracket should work just fine, but couldn't find any installed photos.

Thank you for your time.

Kindest Regards,

Seth

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...olet/model/c10

c10seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Summit Racing® Correct-Align Power Steering Pump Brackets SUM-340201

I have seen a couple engines with that bracket before but don't have any pictures. I have a stock bracket that isn't sheet metal. It works great on mine. Hopefully someone else can jump in and help you out more.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
c10seth

Thanks lefty. It seems pretty legit, so I might have to call Summit and pick someones brain for a bit. I just want to make sure it's not junk before I spend $110 on it.

Seth
c10seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
mechanicalman

First, I don't understand how your bracket won't work with the water pump unless you are trying to use a short style bracket with your long style pump. You could just get a long style bracket setup and modify as stated below. In any event, get your aftermarket bracket for a long water pump style water pump (67-72 small block pickups all used short water pumps from the factory).

A friend of mine had a 79 Camaro with exact same accessory belt drive setup with long water pump. She had a set of headers installed, and then the p/s pump was mis-aligned and very un-steady causing the belt to jump and skip. When an effort was made to tighten it, the angle just got worse.

So, it was determined they left off a rear bracket that used to go atop the driver's side exhaust manifold. I obtained a used bracket, I think I might have cut off a section for clearance? Then, I put a stud in the front header bolt using a spacer to keep it bolted down tight on the gasket, then I installed the missing bracket and cured the problem.

Hint: The length of the spacer affects belt angle. You could stack washers and when it's right obtain the equivalent height spacer. Use a good grade stud, or bolt stock, and consider using anti-seize against the aluminum if you are not already.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 09-22-2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: correction
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote