The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
reed62

Wiper Switch for my 62

Hey all,

Has anyone replaced their wiper switch with something other than the factory original...which I'm guessing for my model of truck is just a one-speed motor. I was thinking maybe just a toggle switch rather than spending 50 bucks for an original style one.

Anyone?
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
paulspickupparts

Re: Wiper Switch for my 62

Depending on how your truck was originally equipped you could have a single or two speed . With washers or without. Once you find out you may be able to pick up a used one . Single speeds are easy to find. Two speed with washer button a little harder.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I "believe" I still have this:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=681554

Let me know if you are interested and I will dig through the shed to make sure.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
Depending on how your truck was originally equipped you could have a single or two speed . With washers or without. Once you find out you may be able to pick up a used one . Single speeds are easy to find. Two speed with washer button a little harder.
It appears that this is a single speed motor. There are no water jets, hoses or washer reservoirs on the truck. It is a I-6, 3 on the tree. All indications point to a very minimally optioned vehicle.

I may look around for other options for a switch since it is just a simple on/off device...but it would be nice to find one with a park option.

When I built my 1950 Ford F-3 there were several owners who used a Jeep Cherokee wiper and switch arrangement so I am sure someone out there has made something else work in place of the factory original setup. I for one am a supporter of the "Dark Side" and am not concerned with using parts from other makes/models in order to have a functioning vehicle. My old Ford had Toyota 4x4 power steering, S-10 pickup bench seat, 70 F-100 9 inch rear end, 91 Crown Vic engine and AOD trans.
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #5
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

You should be able to find something that fits your needs at a swap meet then.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #6
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I think I got mine from LMC but dont remember paying that much.. Ouch! I guess it depends on keeping the original look or not.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed62 View Post
I may look around for other options for a switch since it is just a simple on/off device...but it would be nice to find one with a park option.
Yes, a simple single pole single throw (SPST) on/off switch is all you need for the single speed wiper motor. The parking switch is built into the motor so you don't need anything special to make that work.

These motors are wired such that they receive power whenever the ignition switch is on. The wiper switch on the dash completes the circuit to ground to operate the motor. The motor's internal parking switch can also complete the circuit to ground to operate the motor (until it reaches the parked position and that switch opens). However, for the parking feature to work, the motor case needs to be grounded and that is usually accomplished by a copper or brass strap that bridges across one of the motor's rubber mounting grommets.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote