The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Trucknut57

Need help with a power steering problem.

Just finished the test drive and I have a problem with the power steering, There isn't any!!.
Here is what I have, a type II power steering pump, a 2000 Astro van hydroboost brake system, and a power rack and pinion on the original straight axle. Hoses are run from the pump into the hydroboost, out to the rack. Return line is run from the hydroboost to a Tee and then back to the pump. Rack return line is also run to the Tee.
Now when I touch the brakes it will put you into the steering wheel, but I have NO power steering.

What did I do wrong here? I followed the steps to bleed the rack & pinion before I even started the engine. There is no air in the system as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions will be put to good use.

Thanks,'
Wess

- dcozzi
Trucknut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Need help with a power steering problem.

New or freshly rebuilt rack or ??
I'm so far out of the loop I had to check and see what a type II pump was. since it works the brakes fine I'd think that you can eliminate the pump from the list.

Is there a possibility that you could have hooked up the lines to the rack backwards? I don't know if that is even possible but it's something to check.

The only other thing I can think of is that due to the way they are connected or because of a missing component the pressure line is bypassing the steering gear when you turn. A missing check valve or ??
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Trucknut57

It is a brand new rack and the pressure and return lines can only be hooked up one way. The instructions don't mention anything about a check valve.
I remember someone saying something about the way the return lines getting hooked up, I have the return line from the hydroboost that goes thru the Tee and the return line from the rack goes into the Tee. I think thats right !!

- dcozzi
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
mknittle

It sounds like the plumbing a correct. that is how I did my jeep and it works fine.
One time we had new hydaulic line that would not flow. the orignal line broke and we made a new one. when instaled the ram would not move! My dad found the problem by blowing compressed air through the line. The air would go one way but not the other. When the hose was held up to the light you could see through it. there were no visable defects. The problem was. when the fitting on one end was compressed the inner lining on the hose was cut. when pressure was applied the fluid it would get behind the cut in the lining and close off the line.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 07-21-2012 at 10:07 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
Trucknut57

I went back and re-did the bleeding steps, jack up the front end so the wheels are off the ground, engine off, turned the steering wheel lock to lock 40 times, checked fluid level, no change. Got a few little air bubbles but no fluid level change. Lowered front tires to ground, started engine and still no power steering. Checked all the hydraulic hoses with engine running, no bulging hoses.
All the hoses and fittings are brand new, made them myself at the NAPA store I used to work at.
So for now, I'm still scratching my head.

Well, for now I'll move on to more fun stuff, putting on all the bed strip bolts.

- dcozzi
Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Chevette

I would bet Ogre can help you. He seems to know quite a bit about the Hydro-boost and has one in his 58. Maybe sent him a note.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
mr48chev

You did every thing I could suggest to do when you listed it in post 5. I worked the air out of a lot of GM steering boxes the same way in the 70's.

The only other thing I can think of is that "new" doesn't always mean assembled correctly where the rack is concerned. But you might pull the pressure hose from it and make sure that there isn't an obstruction in the hose. If there are any adapter fittings on it you want to make sure that they have the correct size orifices in them.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Trucknut57

The rack came with the pressure line fitting and the return line fitting already installed and there is no way to get them mixed up. The pressure line is a -6an and the return line is a 3/8" barb fitting. I may have to call the place that made it and see what they have to say, cause this thing has me pulling my hair out.

This is the unit I installed:
http://www.performanceonline.com/194...IT-PS-SA-4759/

- dcozzi
Old 07-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Trucknut57

Finally backed her out of the garage after being in the garage for a long time.

She really needs a bath but I'm not ready to wash the truck when it's over 100 degrees!

- dcozzi
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
mr48chev

It looks great, I'm not a fan of washing any vehicle when it's 100 out. I've lost a windshield that way that only had a tiny rock chip in it before.