The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
BigCarl

Help a noob with his '69 3/4 ton project.

So, here is the skinny.

I have recevied this truck dirt cheap and have plans on getting it on the road for Spring. But, I have never worked on a GM vehicle before. I have found plenty of parts for this truck at dirt cheap prices which was a huge contributing factor in taking ownership of it.

Here comes the noob... get ready.

My biggest question is... What engine is this?

I know its a 350 sbc and has the quadrajet 4 bbl carb. But, from there, I know nothing.

Is this the original engine? I cannot find the ID tag... the intake manifold is supposedly from the 68/69 model year, or at least that is what I researched through Google. Now, with that said, I am thinking this would be the original engine for this truck. But, can't be sure do to the lack of a tag, or at least not being able to find it.

Looking on the glove box door, this truck does have the 350 option on the tag with the 3 speed Hydramatic Tranny. The guy I received it from told me the engine was bought brand new in the 80's but, I can't see someone putting a circa 1969 intake manifold on a mid'ish 80's motor... Right?

The engine tag is supposed to be at the front of the pass. side cylinder head, but I have failed to find this plate. I have put up a pic of the area if someone could point out exactly where it should be, I would be most grateful.

Here is the beast:

Engine shot:

The corner where I think the ID plate should be:

The Carb:

The production number on the intake manifold:

Any and all help is appreciated as this is m first huge project. However, I am mostly concerned with that engine. When I find out what engine it is, I can get all the specs for maintenance and such.

Thanks in advance.

Carl.
BigCarl is offline   Reply With Quote