The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Daves72'GMC

Smile fuel filter?

Where is the best place to put your fuel filter between the carb. and the fuel pump?
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Re: fuel filter?

I put mine right in front of the carb,and since one of my saddle tanks seems to have a lot of gunk in it,I use a really big (metal cased) one. If you put one before the pump I believe you are more likely to have problems.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Try to stay up high away, from the heat, as much as you can. This also makes it easier to service/replace. Stay away from the glass ones. The idea of being able to see when it is dirty sounds good, but the potential for breakage far out-weighs that. There have been several reports from members here about that. Just like that "bug-eye" looking air filter that Edelbrock still makes. I think it is called Pro-Flo. Bad deal...big fire hazzard.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
pumpkin

I try to never put a fuel filter between the pump and carb, with the exception of the stock in carb filter. I put the filters (steel, not plastic) between the pump and the tank. This way your also keeping any crap out of your pump. A filter between the pump and carb is just another source of a leak, and being on the preasure side, will most likely leak when your driving. In my opinion thats why more older fords burnt up where as the chevy's didn't seem to have that problem. Before fuel injection, when I used to go to the auto wreckers, there was always one or two burnt fords, caused by leaking fuel from the filter. On my PU I run 4 filters. one in the carb, before the pump and one for each tank.
pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

putting the filter between the tank and pump can agrivate, or even help create a vapor lock condition by reducing the presseure between the filter and the pump. We all (should) know that by decreasing the pressure, you are decreasing the boiling boint... which, is why you raise the pressure in your cooling system, to raise the boiling point.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
chevy72blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
putting the filter between the tank and pump can agrivate, or even help create a vapor lock condition by reducing the presseure between the filter and the pump. We all (should) know that by decreasing the pressure, you are decreasing the boiling boint... which, is why you raise the pressure in your cooling system, to raise the boiling point.
I have always thought the same way (in fact, I made the same mistake myself). But what about with an electric pump? Holley recommends you install a T fitting between the tank and the pump with 2 fuel filters, then another T and into the pump.

'72 C20 SWB convert. 5 lug, LS1/4l60e
chevy72blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
I have always thought the same way (in fact, I made the same mistake myself). But what about with an electric pump? Holley recommends you install a T fitting between the tank and the pump with 2 fuel filters, then another T and into the pump.
They tell you that because they expect you to put an electric pump near the source. Electric pumps are designed to "push", thus creating the positive pressure that Andy refered to.

An electric pump is a generally accepted "cure" for a vehicle with vapor lock problems, for just that reason.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 05-19-2008 at 10:03 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Dunno if it's the 'right' method or not, but I'll tell you how my truck was set up when I bought it 31 years ago, and I've never had a problem with it. I have twin saddle tanks, plus the cab tank, and the manual selector valve is on the floor near the rear of driver's door. There is an inline steel filter after the valve, on the line going to the fuel pump. Come to think of it, it's probably about time to replace the filter (and the short sections of rubber [neoprene?] fuel hose connecting everything up).

Of course, I also have the little bronze filter in the Q-jet.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #9
grayw0lf

Fuel filter? What's that?

Oh, you mean the thing in the carb inlet fitting.

I think I've been running without any other type of filter for a few years now.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Ole Blue 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
Try to stay up high away, from the heat, as much as you can. This also makes it easier to service/replace. Stay away from the glass ones. The idea of being able to see when it is dirty sounds good, but the potential for breakage far out-weighs that. There have been several reports from members here about that. Just like that "bug-eye" looking air filter that Edelbrock still makes. I think it is called Pro-Flo. Bad deal...big fire hazzard.
Count me as one of those. I've had two different filters leak on me; first was a glass one from LMC and the second was a metal one from Edelbrock. After the 2nd one leaked, I bought a sealed filter from NAPA- no more problems. And I definitely believe mounting them high up helped prevent Ole Blue from getting toasted.
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote