The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

'57 Steering Wheel

Does anyone have any tricks as to getting steering wheel off when one does not have a puller? I hate to buy one just to use 1 or 2 times.

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: '57 Steering Wheel

Get a puller, once you have one it will save you agrevation and cost less than restoring the wheel when you crack or mess it up. They aren't that much at harbor freight. If you don't car about the wheel, lots of wd-40 etc and bfh.

Last edited by OrrieG; 08-30-2010 at 08:25 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Borrow or rent one from your local parts store. I have in the past put a nut on the end threaded part, don't use the one holding the wheel on, just to the end of the shaft and pull on the wheel and smack the nut with a hammer. It usually damages the shaft end but if your only interested in getting the wheel off its a quick way to do it.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Put a 2x4 and a towel between the wheel and the BFH and you MIGHT get it off without Effing it up....much.

Oh..and the towel goes between the 2x4 and the wheel, not the 2x4 and the BFH...ha...ha...ha...

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08-30-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
sgtusmc

10 bucks at Harbor fright. Get one on line if you don't have a store nearby. In my opinion any other way your going to mess up the wheel. Here's a link to it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piec...set-37824.html
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Russell Ashley

As someone else already said, they only cost about $10 or less and worth that the first time you use it. And BTW, you'll use it a lot more that "1 or 2 times" over the years.
You can buy just a steering wheel puller or a kit that will also pull harmonic balncers and other things.

I'm a "tool freak" and just love an opportunity to buy a new tool, LOL.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
jayft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
As someone else already said, they only cost about $10 or less and worth that the first time you use it. And BTW, you'll use it a lot more that "1 or 2 times" over the years.
You can buy just a steering wheel puller or a kit that will also pull harmonic balncers and other things.

I'm a "tool freak" and just love an opportunity to buy a new tool, LOL.
A-men to that. After all, isn't that all any project is anyways? An excuse to get new tools?

"If the women don't find you handsome, at least let 'em find you handy" Red Green

JT
jayft8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
ezekiel

It's actually really easy. I have used this technique with great success.

After removing everything in the way, I break loose the steering wheel nut but I don't remove it. I just thread it back out until it is flush with the steering shaft.

Next, I use my legs to apply upward pressure on the steering wheel. Must have equal upward pressure with both legs!

Then I tap the nut carefully with a BFH. Hit it gently at first to prevent shaft damage. Hit it a little harder if it needs it.

One good crack ought to pop it loose. Make sure you hit the shaft and not the nut and make sure you hit it with the flat face of the hammer. You don't want to mangle the nut.

Make absolutely sure that the nut is flush with the end of the shaft or else you will mash the threads.

The nut will prevent the steering wheel from whacking you in the face when it pops off.

Last edited by ezekiel; 08-31-2010 at 07:03 PM.
ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #9
enick72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel View Post
It's actually really easy. I have used this technique with great success.

After removing everything in the way, I break loose the steering wheel nut but I don't remove it. I just thread it back out until it is flush with the steering shaft.

Next, I use my legs to apply upward pressure on the steering wheel. Must have equal upward pressure with both legs!

Then I tap the nut carefully with a BFH. Hit it gently at first to prevent shaft damage. Hit it a little harder if it needs it.

One good crack ought to pop it loose. Make sure you hit the shaft and not the nut and make sure you hit it with the flat face of the hammer. You don't want to mangle the nut.

Make absolutely sure that the nut is flush with the end of the shaft or else you will mash the threads.

The nut will prevent the steering wheel from whacking you in the face when it pops off.

This may work but I have seen plenty of times where it will not budge, the tool is cheap and easy.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Russell Ashley

There's a ball bearing on the other end of the steering shaft. When you hit the nut with that BFH that bearing takes the force of the blow. If you don't want to save the steering box then it might not matter but if you are going to keep the box then I recommend that you don't beat on the shaft.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
Panelman55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
There's a ball bearing on the other end of the steering shaft. When you hit the nut with that BFH that bearing takes the force of the blow. If you don't want to save the steering box then it might not matter but if you are going to keep the box then I recommend that you don't beat on the shaft.

A bearing is not designed to take a side load. That is what you are giving it when you hammer on the shaft. I'm up the raod from you and can loan you mine, if you dont mind the drive up to get it.. You can mail it back when finished.......
Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
ezekiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelman55 View Post
A bearing is not designed to take a side load. That is what you are giving it when you hammer on the shaft. I'm up the raod from you and can loan you mine, if you dont mind the drive up to get it.. You can mail it back when finished.......
Agreed, but I've never had to beat on it like my description might suggest.

I've used a machinist's ball peen hammer to tap on it and it pops right off.

Remember, the key to this working is your legs pushing up on the steering wheel. Push like crazy and you won't have to use a lot of hammer force.

But hey, like everyone else has said, buying tools is fun.
ezekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #13
jayft8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezekiel View Post

aye - now there's the important part of this whole thing right there

as many a man wif a few false teef (such as myself) will tell you . . .

JT
jayft8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
57picupnewbie
'57 Rosa

Okay guys. I went to NAPA and picked one up for $6. I will get it pulled this weekend along with the gas tank and front and back window. Thanks for the input. Sorry to sound stupid, I just am trying to save every where I can. My dream of this build keeps getting more expensive. Did you guys have that problem?????:

Only two defining forces have ever died for us: CHRIST died for our salvation and VETERANS died for our freedoms. Glorify CHRIST and thank VETERANs
Dru~ USN Retired
57picupnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #15
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57picupnewbie View Post
Sorry to sound stupid, I just am trying to save every where I can. My dream of this build keeps getting more expensive. Did you guys have that problem?????:
Nope...never

Now back to reality...

Gotta do the same with my '70 and the new '52. Both need restored. I did buy the HF puller, but have so far only used it to pull the flywheel of my outboard, a '64 Johnson 5 1/2.

I can still see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it keeps getting dimmer and further away.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys

Last edited by 70C10Toejam; 09-03-2010 at 10:52 PM.
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #16
bobinbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57picupnewbie View Post
My dream of this build keeps getting more expensive. Did you guys have that problem?????:
I used to have that problem but then I found if I don't keep the receipts I tend to lose track and then it's not a problem anymore. (I've found that burning works best, leaves no evidence -er, I mean records- )

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Russell Ashley

"keeps getting more expensive"

Welcome to the club, LOL. The more I do to my truck the more I see that needs to be done. My truck was running and driving when I bought it. Now I can't drive it and I've just about doubled the price.
I'm keeping an Excell spreadsheet showing everything I buy and how much I spend on my truck. Never did that before, thought it would be a good thing to do, but now I'm not so sure. I just don't look at the total very often.